Author Topic: one more question about swaddling (a grumpy baby(  (Read 1651 times)

Offline nanita

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
one more question about swaddling (a grumpy baby(
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:46:19 am »
Hi! I know what Tracy says but my baby really does hate swaddling as soon as I start doing it he starts screaming and moving like we were doing an exorcism. BUT I think he wonnt stop moving if I donnt do it. My question is: would he start associating swaddling with something awful and and will affect his sleep habits? Or at the end he will get used to it? Does somebody have a grumpy baby or any experience with this?
Nanita :)

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: one more question about swaddling (a grumpy baby(
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:46:46 am »
Hi there, I don't have a grumpy baby, so I'm sorry but i can't give you any btdt experience. Having said that we did swaddle by DD from the early days and so she cries initially and fought and wriggled she did love it fairly soon after we started doing it and she was still swaddled until 9 months.

How old is your DS? Have you been trying to swaddle for a while?

I know that swaddling is part of Tracy's recommended four-S sleep routine, but primarily I think that we need to follow out LOs cues? Does your DS sleep for naps and BT well without being swaddled? What are you using to swaddle him?
~ Naomi ~

Offline nanita

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 18:52:12 pm »
Hi! He is 2 months now. I have swaddled him since he was given to me at the hospita. I use a receiving blanket and he is not able to sleep almost nothing during the day. I ve been asking in every section of this forum and I ve used Tracys techniques since the beginning. I have read all her books even the one that is for toddlers cause I used EASZY with my daughter who is almost 2 now. I wouldnt have them so close if I knew my life was going to be this way. This baby doesn't sleep with anything. I know he is a refluxer but I also think his temper is waht is affecting him or maybe something else? I dont know anymore he is worse everyday. Now he is taking 30minutes naps lasta week they were 45 minutes naps and the week before an hour.. I just can't see what are we doing wrong so I tried a little AP for us to sleep a bit in the day and it is the same he just doesnt stay asleep. How can I follow easy if he does that? However I will keep on trying the swaddling recommendation I believe it works at least with my daughter it did.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 19:09:36 pm »
((Hugs)) sweetie, that sounds like you're having a rough time. Is his reflux under control? Maybe as he's grown any medication is no longer on a high enough dose? Discomfort might lead to OT and the short naps you're describing. If you want to talk about this more you could post again on the Colic,Reflux and Crying board if you like, or maybe post your EASY if you think his routine needs a tweak.

As my DD got older she broke out of her swaddled receiving blanket but she loved a woombie until she was lots older. Perhaps your LO might be happier in a slightly different wrap.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:57:04 am by Buttonbobs »
~ Naomi ~

Offline nanita

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:44:35 am »
Thanks so much for your hugs and reply!! I havent seen those woombies but went online and they seem more comfortable and even safer. I will definetely try to buy one to give it a try. I think my LO needs a little space to move without hitting his face... hope it will work.. about myEASY I stopped writing things down cause I was kind of obsessed and also stressed out. But this week I will startdoing it again so maybe you experts can help me out. Really appreciate your help

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:00:18 am »
We can certainly try to help but we are not experts, just people who've had help from other parents here and want to pass on the advice we received. We will do our best to suggest things but as far as your son goes, you are the expert! :) it is so easy to become obsessed by sleep with our LOs isn't it, I know I did when E was small.

If you'd like to write down your EASY, then I'll happily have a look, but do get those meds checked out, you could do any number of things but if those meds aren't enough nothing will really help his sleep.
~ Naomi ~

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 14:35:02 pm »
You could also try this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0095YYAGC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378132253&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

We used this Sleepsuit from 3-6mo and it was wonderful for our DS! We struggled with his reflexes and jolted himself awake constantly. This worked wonders for us so I figured I would share!

Good luck to you :)

Offline nanita

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 03:50:13 am »
Thanks so much for your help!

Offline nanita

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: one more question about swaddling (a grumpy baby)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 03:48:11 am »
Hi I was wandering if you can take a look to my usual night/day with Daniel to see what can be changed? Someone told me that his behaviour before going to bed and being swaddled could be UT. I am not sure, so I started doing this EASY, still getting 45 minutes naps unless I wake him to sleep which can be done sometimes not all the time. Also keeps fighting me during wind down.

E: 1 am-1:15
S: 1:30 am-5:00 am

E:5:00 am-5:30
S:5:30-7:30/8:00 (needs help getting back to sleep at 6:30 am)

E:8:00 am-8:30
A:8:30-9:15 + wind down
S:9:30-10:15 (usually, unless I do wake him to sleep at 40 minute mark, otherwise I try to resettle for 15 minutes which almost never works )
A: 10:30 am-11:00 am

E:11:00 am-11:30 am
A:11:30 am-12:00 pm + wind down
S:12:20 pm-1:00 pm (usually, unless I do wake him to sleep at 40 minute mark, otherwise I try to resettle for 15 minutes which almost never works )
A:1:15-2:00 pm

E:2:00 pm-2:30 pm (obviously falls asleep while eating, but never stops sucking)
A:2:30 pm-3:00 pm + wind down
S:3:30 pm- 4:45 or 5:00 pm

E:5:00 pm-5:30 pm
A:5:30 pm-6:00 pm
S:6:00 pm-6:45 or 7:00 pm (in a chair that vibes)

E:7:00 pm-7:30 pm
A:7:30 pm-8:00 pm
S:8:30 pm-1:00 am

Thanks for your help.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:34:46 am »
Hi sweetie, thanks for posting your EASY. Have you see this:
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
Your LO is about 2 months old I think so you should be looking to an A time of about 1hr15-20mins (although some can manage a little longer). A times run from eyes open to eyes closed, so including E times.

I think that your first A time looks about right but you are getting a short nap from it. A 45 min nap at this age would often indicate a too short A time and a 30 min nap might suggest your LO is OT from too long a A time, but you seem to be getting 40 mins from 1hr30 and 2 plus hours A time. By the time you get to the third A time it is really long and your DS does then take a longer nap but this may just be him crashing from tiredness.

Did you have a chance to get his meds checked out? If you think he's not uncomfortable at all then perhaps try to tweak that first A time to get a longer nap. You can continue to try W2S if it helps (it may be that he is slightly UT for the first nap if that doesn't help and you can't resettle). If you get a short nap you should use a shorter A time before the second nap as he'll be less well restored. If you get a good nap then hold with that A time and see if it continues to suit him. You cathen work on getting the second A time right.

How does that sound?
~ Naomi ~

Offline nanita

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 02:57:19 am »
Thanks! I think my square mind doesn´t help! What happens to me is that whenever he wakes earlier from a nap I know he should go to sleep after the time he actually woke up and not the time he had to wake up... but, then I think: this will ruin his schedule. I know EASY is not about that and I should think differently!!
So what I must do is start changing A time for the first morning nap, and maybe things will be different for the rest of the day. And also start counting time since he opens his eyes and not since he eats  :P
His meds will be checked this Thursday. He has been vomiting a lot lately, every time he eats.   :'(

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:04 am »
Oh poor poppet. I'm glad you're getting his meds checked, it sounds like his dose may be too low for him now. If you want to post a question on the CRC boards, the ladies there can provide wonderful reflux specific support. ((Hugs))

I know it is hard to be flexible with an LOs sleep, but you are right BW is really not a schedule, but a flexible routine. You can get started at changing the way you do things and certainly get those A times shorter towards the end of the day, but bear in mind he may not sleep well until his discomfort from reflux is under control again.
~ Naomi ~