Author Topic: How to stop before bt nursing for 15 month old  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Mom2012

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to stop before bt nursing for 15 month old
« on: September 02, 2013, 23:37:58 pm »
I was planning on weaning my lo when he turned one. I started dropping a feeding every few weeks before his birthday. When the time came to stop, I had a hard time deciding if I was ready. I decided to nurse only morning and night for a while. About a month ago I stopped the morning feed and now we are just doing before bedtime. I am starting to feel like my milk supply is really going down and my lo seems to be losing a little interest. I'm wondering what is the best way to stop completely? Should I offer him milk in his sippy cup with dinner? Or should I give him milk in a sippy before bed in our rocking chair where we nurse? I am nervous that quitting the before bedtime nursing might cause him to have trouble falling asleep. He does not nurse to sleep, but it has always been the last thing before we read a story and then I put him in his bed. Any advice? Thanks!

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: How to stop before bt nursing for 15 month old
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 18:43:57 pm »
When we were dropping the BT feed with DS, I just went cold turkey and think I got someone else to put him to bed for a few nights, if I recall.
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 20:48:23 pm »
I got in the habit of doing the last BF before bed down in the living room and then I got DH to take my DS1 upstairs to bed and that helped as eventually DH was able to take him up without the feed as he was keen to go off and read stories etc with Daddy :)
We don't do a specific milk instead of BF but just offer milk when he wants a drink throughout the day.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 20:52:46 pm »
this feed is always my first to go! i always brush my LOs teeth after I bf at night so soon she was more interested in brushing her teeth than BFing.
heather

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 20:00:50 pm »
I had the same concerns as you but it turned out fine. I did similar to Ali and moved the bf a bit earlier and did it downstairs. I think I was more upset about it being the last feed than she was in the end!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 20:05:37 pm »
I did once try offering a cup of milk in place of a breastfeed in the bedroom and DD went crazy!!  So I did as others have posted and changed up our routine to offer a BF downstairs before heading up for teeth, bath, stories and bed.  I did that so I knew she wasn't hungry if she put up a fuss, but in fact she didn't seem to mind at all.  A couple of weeks later I just didn't offer the feed and she didn't notice :). And yes, I was a lot more upset!

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 23:13:30 pm »
Same as others.  G didn't even notice until 4 or 5 nights later  ::)

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:09:24 am »
sorry meant to add we changed up the routine as well for my DS. with my DD i started burshing teeth after we BF adn soon she was more interested in brushing teeth than the BF. it was easier than i expected.
heather