Author Topic: 4 months old independent sleeper waking more often at night  (Read 1026 times)

Offline gabrielasantos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 months old independent sleeper waking more often at night
« on: September 03, 2013, 00:49:58 am »
Hello !
My four month old used to be a great sleeper at night but recently things have started to change. He has been on easy since he was about 8 weeks and when he was three months old he STTN for the first time and had been doing it at least once a week since. I couldn't believe our luck ! Other nights he would sleep for a good 8, 9 or 10 hour stretch, have his bottle and go back to sleep.
He puts himself to sleep since he was about 12 weeks. We swaddle him, give him a kiss, tell him it's time to sleep and that's it. We don't use a paci and we don't do a DF.
About three weeks ago he got sick and had some kind of regression. Started waking up twice at night for three nights, and then back to waking up once for a feed, and then waking up really early at around 5:00, 5:30. Sometimes a bit of shushing would calm him, sometimes he was up for the day. This last few days he has been waking up about three to six times a night ! If it's too early in the night, I pat his back and can get him to sleep another hour, until I realize it really is time for him to eat. He has his bottle (sometimes he won't have it all) and go back to sleep, but then keep waking up every hour or hour and a half crying. Most times I can calm him down, but if it's getting close to wake up time (5:30-6 AM) he won't settle.
I don't think it is hunger because when I give him his morning bottle he does not seem really interested and will only take about 4 oz. And since he used to sleep so well all night long, I believe he does not really need it ?
Our routine is usually a lot like this:

7 - E (4oz) and A
9:00 - S
10:30 - A
11 - E (7oz)
12:30 - S
2:30 - A
3:00 - E (6oz)
4:30 - S
5:15 - A
6:00 - E (4oz)
6:15 - Bed time routine (bath, pj's, book)
6:40 E (5-6oz)
7:00 S

When he wakes up at night he will usually take 7 oz, but most times he does not seem at all that interested towards the end of the bottle and will end up leaving an ounce.
If he can put himself to sleep and is not really hungry, why does he keep waking up and crying ?
What am I doing wrong ?How can I get him back on track ?
Thanks !

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 4 months old independent sleeper waking more often at night
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 00:47:24 am »
HI there and welcome to the BW :)

He might be going through a growth spurt - there is a big one around 4 months. Alot of babies also go through sleep regression at around this age, which might also explain why he's waking. I would try and feed him first and if he's not hungry, continue trying to settle him with shh/pat. Some babies also need to be weaned out of the swaddle around this age.... is he breaking out of the swaddle at all? Could that be waking him up? Have you recently changed or introduced formula? Could he be waking up from discomfort?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:41:03 am by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline gabrielasantos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 00:47:03 am »
Hi Layla ! Thank you so much for taking the time to see my post and help me with our issues. I did think it could be a growth spurt when it first started happening, about 3 three weeks ago when he had just turned 4 months. But it's been such a long time and he doesn't drink the whole bottle every time, so I wonder if it could be something else.
I've been meaning to wean him out of the swaddle for a few weeks now, but I'm terrified this will totally mess with his nights and even more with his night sleep. I've tried leaving a arm out  every once in a while for the first nap of the day, but he seems to hate it ! He cries and cries and wakes up after one sleep cycle. Any advice on how to phase it out ?
He is fine for the naps, but unless my husband swaddles him, he breaks out of it during the night.
He is formula fed and we haven't changed it. Although it does seem like it, I don't see how it could be discomfort, unless he is teething, which doesn't seem to be the case.
How is this sleep regression you mentioned ? Is there anything that could be done about it or is it basically just waiting for it to end ?
Thanks again ! ;)

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:16:11 am »
Quote (selected)
I've been meaning to wean him out of the swaddle for a few weeks now, but I'm terrified this will totally mess with his nights and even more with his night sleep. I've tried leaving a arm out  every once in a while for the first nap of the day, but he seems to hate it ! He cries and cries and wakes up after one sleep cycle. Any advice on how to phase it out ?
I never swaddled so no been there done that advice but here is a link from the PROPS section, which you might find useful and if not, you can always post there for more ideas. To be honest, I suspect things will go a bit wonky but if it IS the swaddle that is waking him up at night, maybe it is time to wean.
Paci or Swaddle Weaning Success Stories Here

Quote (selected)
How is this sleep regression you mentioned ? Is there anything that could be done about it or is it basically just waiting for it to end ?
It has to do with them becoming more aware of what is around them. Just try and not introduce any props (like feeding to sleep at every awakening) and it should pass.

Also, try not to let your LO make up for lost sleep during the day. I would probably limit naps to 2x1.5hrs with 45min catnap, especially if he's closer to 5months.

Offline gabrielasantos

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 18:26:36 pm »
Thanks, once again, Layla. Everything you've said so far makes perfect sense. I started leaving an arm out during naps to wean him out of the swaddle. And you were right, day time sleep did get kind of wonky yesterday, but since you also suggested that I limit the amount of day time sleep, I guess it's was ok. Today was much better !
This past night was a much better night than the ones we've been having in the last weeks. He woke up only once and that was at 4 AM. It took him a bit longer to fall back asleep, but he was by himself at the crib and there was no crying, and then only woke up at 7:00 AM sharp.
We still have a long way to go with getting rid of the swaddle altogether for daytime and starting night time, but things are definitely getting better and I believe we are in the right path. Thank you so much for all the help, it really made a difference !

Offline Layla

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:59:49 am »
Excellent, thanks for the update. Let us know how things are going :-*