Author Topic: Tried and tested toddler and family meals  (Read 7238 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Tried and tested toddler and family meals
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 20:20:15 pm »
Fab! X

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 17:06:22 pm »
Well she has now decided that she will only eat if she can pick it up but she wont pick up 'sloppy food'. She will pick up pasta, fish fingers,meatballs (well she only eats a small bit, i,e 1 meatball 3/4 fish finger but its a start), home made chips, baby corn, peas. Just as i was getting into making those yummy meals for us all i need to change it. She wont eat pieces of chicken.

Anyone have suggestions for what else i can try now?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 17:50:44 pm »
I used to do all kinds of variations of these

The Famous Sausage Recipe!

I also would bake a whole load of roasted BN squash and sw pot fingers and keep them in the fridge.

We were so limited at that age I can't think of much else!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 18:26:20 pm »
What are sw pot fingers? I tried the sausuage recipe but i think i over cooked them as they were kind of crispy so she didn't like the texture. How long would the roasted butternut squash keep in the fridge for?

My angel baby girl

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 18:42:20 pm »
I'm guessing they're sweet potato fingers?

This is a great turkey meatloaf/ball recipe:

http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/turkey-mini-meatloaves-for-babies-and.html

I have made them loads. Very easy and freeze well too.

Have made several of her recipes actually (she is a member of this forum too) and they've all been great so well worth having a nosy around to see if there's anything else on her blog you like the look of
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 19:16:57 pm »
Oh that makes sense  :D

They look lovely and i have everything in to make them, so will give them a go tomorrow x

My angel baby girl

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 19:19:20 pm »
Or, you can just make whatever you were going ot make, and serve it to her and let her practice with a fork. Do you want to get into cooking separate meals to suit whatever phase she's going through? The other thing you can do is make your 'sloppy' meal but serve it up separately, so for example a little pile of plain pasta, a little dollop of sauce on the side etc.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 22:01:29 pm »
Mine will also did not like sloppy food, a couple of times he had hand fulls (face fulls) of humus but they were one off oddities. Honestly I just changed the meals we ate so we all still ate together.  It might sound crazy but it does mean I only cook one meal.  Some changes are simple:
- if we want mash potato I lift out a few boiled potatoes before we mash the rest, DS gets the boiled pots with a bit of mint sauce or gravy on them, we get the mash.
- if we are having stew/curry or anything like that I chop the veg chunkier than I might otherwise have done, then lift out the chunks for DS and plate them in piles not as a mixed slop, it also means most of it is drained of the sauce/gravy, I serve a small portion of gravy/sauce in a dip bowl for him
- if we are having rice I give DS chapati or naan

Other things I just stopped making.  I haven't made a fish pie or shepherds pie in over 2 years.  Once in a while DS has early BT which may mean I give him a bit of a buffet dinner and DP and I 'celebrate' by having a meal we usually wouldn't have as it doesn't suit DS. I honestly don't feel he is a fussy eater because he eats all food groups and is great at the table but I make these allowances. Gradually he tries things, custard, sloppy puddings he wouldn't have had those before but will have them now.  It's only since he turned 2 that he's experimented with eating meat too, before that he ate almost none.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 18:27:25 pm »
Oh Creations, Olly is so similar, although he devours hommous now! Just curious what other meals you make? Sorry to hijack  :-*

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 19:35:10 pm »
No need to be sorry its all more good advice  ;D

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 22:03:51 pm »
Well, he'll eat any pasta (ok, not any, I've never even tried lasagne for him but I know he wouldn’t eat it because it's something that is all mixed up due to the layers) so various pasta dishes from something simple like just stirring jarred pesto through for a quick lunch (I would serve some sides of veg or salad and chunks of cheese for him) or another lunch pasta would be (it's very cheaty):
penne or twists
dry fried sliced mushrooms then add a handful of cherry toms to cook
glug of olive oil or oil from jar of sun dried toms, chopped sun dried toms, chopped jar roasted peppers, chopped sultanas - all mixed like a salad dressing
mix whole thing together.
Hell eat this now with the little chopped bits of pepper etc that are stuck to the pasta. Previously I would have dressed the pasta like a salad then served the roasted peppers in one pile, mushrooms in another, toms in another.
That's the sort of thing I'll make for lunch or a super fast dinner if he needs EBT and I don't have time for our regular meal.
Lunch we often have sandwich or crusty bread with pate, humus, salad, cheese etc I don't always cook a hot meal at lunch.

For dinner though I would make various pasta sauces with toms and chunky veg (aubergine, courgette, pepper, onion), mince or meatballs, or sausage chopped up or chicken or turkey etc and I'll put enough sauce on DS's pasta to coat it so it doesn’t all stick together but then I serve the pasta in a pile and the chunks of veg all separated out into different piles on his plate. If he can see and recognise the items he will eat them. I'm just starting to experiment with leaving some meals a bit mixed up and asking at the table if he wants me to help him separate them.

We have lots of meals that are meat/fish with veg sides (meat and 3 or 4 veg) as this suits DS so well and really it's a healthy meal for us.  Today I was too preoccupied with making his Halloween costume so didn't cook properly and we had oven chips (v rare here I'd usually make sweet pot or turnip/parsnip/carrot chips instead) with oven baked trout, steamed carrots and asparagus.  He doesn't always taste the meat/fish but is so much more willing now than he was even a few months back. I serve him omelet for breakfast many mornings so that it doesn't matter at dinner if he eats protein or not, it takes the pressure right off.
Roast dinner he loves - lots of different veg, roast potatoes, yorkshire puds
slow cooked pulled pork, morrocan lamb, whole chicken he may or may not eat the meat but will eat the sides, corn on the cob, roast sweet potato wedges (like chips), tortilla wraps or flat bread, coleslaw (red onion, red cabbage, carrot, mayo - weird how he's started to eat this as it's a sloppy food but he loves the crunch of the cabbage)
stew either with potatoes or dumplings - always several veg in it and always chunky and served in piles for him
stir fry and noodles - DP often makes this, I'm not keen as it's hard to provide enough piles of veg for DS when I have to separate it all out but we manage and I am grateful for someone else cooking! DS likes the crunchy water chestnuts in particular
pizza - I use a garlic flat bread as the base and generally DS won't eat it if the are toppings on it, ho hum, so his toppings are served on the side!  He has just started to try it out with toppings, anchovy, olives, cheese, pineapple

Not amazing menus but mostly fresh and mostly healthy...and the way I serve up it's mostly not sloppy and mostly in piles :)
The thing is, although he's never liked mixed or mashed up food he eats things that many LOs might not - olives, anchovies, sprats, rocket, romaine lettuce (and will try other leaves time to time too), spring onions, beetroot, brie, blue cheese (st agure, stilton). And he eats large portions of fruit and veg too. So i can hardly call him fussy.
I do sometimes worry about what he'll eat at school because I imagine shepherds pie etc but it's a while off yet and maybe by then he will accept those foods, or he'll just have to go hungry and eat when he gets home!

Oh dear, feel like I just took over the thread! sorry!
hope something helps!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 21:18:54 pm »
The thing is, although he's never liked mixed or mashed up food he eats things that many LOs might not

Yes, this is the thing I am getting! Olly is restricted in the first place and then doesn't like pies/stews and things that are mixed up. And on top of that he is fussy really. Your DS seems to have a really varied diet which is great, all those veges! Olly wouldn't touch them!

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Some great meals there. We have LOTS of meat, starch and veg meals too  :)