Author Topic: 6mo uninterested in weaning  (Read 1547 times)

Offline taziekins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 05, 2013, 16:19:07 pm »
My health visitor and a doctor have both said my youngest should be weaning now (he turned 6mo in august). Trouble is everything I give him gets spat out. He watches food as if he's interested in it and opens his mouth when i first approach him with a spoon but once it goes in he pulls a face then purses his lips and lets it all dribble out, then won't open his mouth again. I've no luck with baby rice, fruit flavored cow & gate jars, or milkybar mini yogurts. We also think he's teething at the moment.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 6mo uninterested in weaning
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 16:35:25 pm »
How about going for Baby Led Weaning? You just give finger/chip sized bits of 'normal' food (steamed broccoli, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, toast) and let him pick them up and play with them and eventually put them in his mouth and eat them! My daughter would never let us spoon feed us at all.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 16:38:56 pm »
I wouldnt be too worrid about it...as the saying goes "until one, food is for fun" (as in breastmilk or formula should be the main nutrition). Plus if he is teething it might not be the best time to start. We skipped cereals and opted to start with fruit and veg purees, favourites were pear, sweet potato, and banana.  DD1 was more for BLW, DD2 hated certain textures so stuck with her purees for ages!

Heidi

Offline taziekins

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 16:47:12 pm »
cheers for the advice, the baby led weaning sounds like something my boy will prefer.
i just discovered he likes fruit flavor jars fine as long as i give him it off his dummy. it's like he has something against spoons. is it the familiarity?
would it maybe be worth trying it in a small bottle with a thick flow teat?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 17:05:20 pm »
I really wouldn't. It's not advised to give anything in a bottle other than milk, it's a choke hazard, and besides he needs to learn how to chew/swallow food. I'd give BLW some serious thought (it's an easy google search you'll find loads of info), then it will be led by him rather than trying to coax him with dummies/bottles etc.