Author Topic: 6mo still 1 hour to feed. Anyone else, ideas for encouraging efficiency?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Nosinnod

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

DD is a gourmet feeder.  She has always taken at least an hour to feed (i.e. 30 mins per side) and doesn't seem to show any signs of speeding up any time soon.  Any idea of a baby taking 10-20 mins every 4 hours feels like a pipe dream.  Tell me I'm not the only one...!

I'm reluctant to 'time' her feeds as she is very small (despite being full term she is bottom centile) so I want to ensure she gets all the milk she wants/needs.  She's also only getting a tiny bit of A time afterwards before she starts getting fussy for a nap so it is tricky getting out and about without ending up with an OT baby on my hands.

Any war stories out there about if/when LO discovered efficiency, or how to encourage efficiency without inadvertently reducing her milk?

Thanks for reading.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 6mo still 1 hour to feed. Anyone else, ideas for encouraging efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:22:14 am »
Has she been checked for any physical issues that may affect transfer of milk such as a tongue tie?

Is she actively feeding (suck, suck, swallow type rhythm) the whole time or is there lots of sucking and not so much swallowing that might indicate comfort sucking?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Nosinnod

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:20:54 am »
Hi Ali,

No tongue tie has been picked up (although I don't think it's ever been checked - shouldn't they do that as a matter of course at the newborn/6 week checks?).  LC happy with positioning/latch etc.

She does seem to generally be feeding the whole time - I can hear swallowing, usually about 4 sucks/swallow.  She likes to throw in several pauses, and I won't deny sometimes she seems to drag it out as other feeds she can really go for it.

If, as you suspect, she is using me as a dummy, any suggestions for discouraging this.  I don't see the point of introducing a dummy now (nor do I want to) and she isn't interested in comfort items.  Should she still be needing suckling time at this age?

That said, the slow feeding gives me a chance to catch up on the recorded TV! :)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:54:37 am »
I don't believe tongue tie is checked as a matter of course no. It would probably only be done if you reported feeding issues indicating it. It is hard to check for and most GPs wouldn't be able to do it. Some one qualified like a lactation consultant would normally look and feel inside the mouth and need to know what they were feeling for.

What does your LC say about the long feeding?

Do you think maybe you just have a slow flow? You could try breast compressions Breast compression and feeding in a position that allows gravity to aid the flow of milk such as dangle feeding.

It may be that it is not a problem other than the inconvenience but like you say at least it enforces some rest periods for you :)

Offline Nosinnod

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:59:09 pm »
Up to now, I've just been told to let LO carry on to ensure she gets the hind milk.  I'll give the compressions a go.

Thanks for your help.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 13:00:21 pm »
The compressions will help with dislodging the fatty hindmilk molecules :)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 18:53:32 pm »
I was going to suggest breast compressions and ask about tongue ties too, so Ali beat me to it :)

What's happening when she's done on one breast?  Is she letting go herself before you switch sides or are you having to detach her?  I just wondered whether, if it were me, I might be tempted to offer a shorter feed from the first side and move her over to the second and then keep doing that until she seemed like she'd finished.  Whether that would work or not, I don't know, but it may be that she's hanging out waiting for more to come all the time and then getting a bit tired and taking some rest and comfort while she's there.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Nosinnod

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 20:00:26 pm »
Mmm, good point Fiver.  I wouldn't say I've ever been a 'fire hose' (if you know what I mean) so she could be waiting for the next let down.  She's never cried because of it or seemed impatient, so could just be chilling as you suggested.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 20:35:37 pm »
Breast compressions will help with keeping her interested and maybe feeding a bit more intently.  And when you change side there is usually a bit more of an immediate reward as LO benefits from the letdown in the breast that they've already fed from.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Hendix

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 19:59:06 pm »
Hi,
For me drinking water while feeding brings on let down and means lo can stay on same breast so getting all rich fatty hindmilk. If your lo in low centile moving breast may mean she's just getting watery foremilk.
Also have no idea if it was my imagination but I ate nothing but carbs early on and a lot of them, despite me having forceful let down and lo pulling off early she still gained consistently good weight.
I know some lactation folks don't recommend but some extra pumping could increase milk production maybe?
X

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 20:47:58 pm »
If your lo in low centile moving breast may mean she's just getting watery foremilk.

However if you're then moving back to the first breast, that won't be happening.  They will benefit from both foremilk and hindmilk (although the switch is incredibly gradual, so foremilk contains fat too) from both sides at each feed and keep LO actively feeding.  If LO is hanging for 30 minutes at a time on the breast, she's possibly becoming tired before getting a full feed.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Nosinnod

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 19:51:52 pm »
Hi Hendrix,

I pump after feeds to make sure I get as much as poss and that becomes the night time DF.  I think she is just destined to be diddy.