Author Topic: Horrible night problems with 6 month old, desperate for help!  (Read 816 times)

Offline Teachermom03

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Horrible night problems with 6 month old, desperate for help!
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:39 am »
I found this forum while up again at night, and I'm desperate for help.  I have 6 month old boy/girl twins, and they started sleeping through the night at about 4.5 months. In the last two weeks, they've started waking very early. It started as 5:45 a.m., and is creeping backwards. DS is now waking up at 3:30 and is up until 5. No soothing, rocking, pacifier, anything will get him down. He's not crying, just wide awake. The only thing that will knock him back out is nursing, so I usually will resort to that out of desperation. Then DD is up at 5:15, screaming. I'm at the point that between the twilight feeds and all this night waking that I'm getting less than four hours of sleep at night. I work full time, and yesterday I fell asleep driving. I'm angry all the time and this is ruining my relationship with my husband and my 5 year old son. I'm at the end of my rope. What am I doing wrong here?

Offline Teachermom03

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Horrible night problems with 6 month old, desperate for help!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 12:19:34 pm »
Sorry, I should have posted their schedule:

WU: 5:30-6, BF (tandem nurse, I switch sides every feeding)
A: tummy time, jumpers for 1.5-2 hours
8:30 solids
9: BF or bottle (if at day care)
9:30 nap for 1-1.5 hours
11:30 solids
12:30 nurse or bottle
1 nap for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours
4 BF Or bottle
5:30 solids
7:30 bedtime routine (bath, change, nurse)
8 asleep

Naps are very different at day care, they put them down to sleep for much more frequent, shorter naps, while I put them in for longer naps and let them settle if they wake up. They do get some cat naps driving around.

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Horrible night problems with 6 month old, desperate for help!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 13:23:56 pm »
This might seem counter-intuitive, but I get the feeling they might be OT.  Have you tried an earlier bedtime?  Also, night wakings for hunger can be common at this age ( might be too curious to eat enough during the day).  My 8 month old still wakes around 4 am for a night feed - does your DS go back to sleep after you nurse if you do it right away, or have you tried leaving him alone to make sure he won't put himself back to sleep?

**Tracy**