Author Topic: Milk - LO reducing intake at 26m - is this normal?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline HenaV

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
Milk - LO reducing intake at 26m - is this normal?
« on: September 09, 2013, 21:04:47 pm »
Hey ladies,

Just a quickie really. My DD (26m) has been having her milk (morning and night) from a beaker/sippy style cup since just before her 2nd birthday (before then bottles). She has reduced how much she'll drink 1st thing. Its not the cup as she has the same one for her NT milk before bed and drinks the lot. Ive started to give her a bit more a BT to try and compensate and she's drinking the it. Is this normal at this age. She gets plenty of calcium so I'm not too worried. Just don't know if theres anything  should be doing/trying.

Usually her E looks something like:

WU: 6.45am
7am: Milk - give her 5oz - sometimes drinks it, sometimes just a couple of oz
8.30am - cereal with milk and fruit, sometimes toast and small cup of fresh fruit juice (diluted)
10.30Amish - snack (small rice cake/bread stick\biscuit)
12noon - lunch : sandwich, cheese, fruit
3.30pm - snack (apple raisins/fruit stick/rice cake
5pm - dinner (followed by yogurt either fruit or Greek natural)
6.30 - 7/8oz milk

She drinks water through the day and a small cup of diluted fruit juice after meals if shes eaten well.

Any thoughts?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Milk - LO reducing intake at 26m - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 21:23:08 pm »
Sound like she's getting plenty. Children between 1 and 3 years need 350mg of calcium per day which is 300ml (or half a pint or 10 oz), which she is easily getting even if she only takes a couple of oz in the morning.  Of course other dairy, cheese etc also counts.  At this age (after 2yo) they can also move to semi skimmed milk if you choose, but not 1% or skimmed.
Hoped this helps.

(as an aside, I'd encourage the larger morning milk rather than increase the BT milk, morning fluids help to increase bladder size where as more evening fluids may lead to heavy wetting at night, leaky nappies and less chance of dry nights.  Fluids shouldn't be limited in the evening but can be encouraged in the morning, hope that makes sense.)

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
Re: Milk - LO reducing intake at 26m - is this normal?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:37:25 am »
That does, thanks do much x