Author Topic: Fussy at breakfast but then wants to snack all day  (Read 1981 times)

Offline My little Liam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
Fussy at breakfast but then wants to snack all day
« on: September 09, 2013, 18:35:28 pm »
Liam has always been a great eater! He loves his food! Last month I think he went through a GS, eating nonstop all day. He would literally pull my hand and take me to the fridge. The last week or so he has been getting very fussy at breakfast. He will take a few bites and then throw the rest on the floor. The only thing I can get him to eat a lot of are tomatoes. I don't mind him not having a big breakfast, as he is generally a good eater. My problem is that he is obviously still hungry after such a small amount of breakfast so he continues to pull me over to the fridge all morning whining and begging for food. I end up feeding him because I feel bad for him and don't want him to be hungry and he literally snacks all morning, every 30 min or so. If I offer a set meal again he will only eat a few bites again and throw the rest. If I don't feed him he has a huge tantrum. I obviously don't want this to turn into a habit but also don't really know what to do about it. Lunch and dinner are generally better, he eats a good amount.

I just feel like he is snacking all the time :-\

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Fussy at breakfast but then wants to snack all day
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 18:42:36 pm »
Personally I would continue to offer proper meals, with one snack mid-morning and one snack mid-afternoon.  No more than that.  Possibly offer breakfast half an hour later than currently if he's not hungry when he first gets up, but otherwise stick to your usual routine.  If he doesn't eat his meal, fine, he gets down from the table.  Offer the one snack when you would normally offer it and then nothing else except a drink of water until next meal time.  Yes he will have a tantrum, that's normal toddler behaviour though :). If he's really hungry, he'll start eating what's offered at breakfast once he knows you're not going to offer something tastier 30 mins later.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 18:46:53 pm »
I would keep offering the breakfast until it is time for something else. Can you try offering a range of food at breakfast so he might eat a few bites of each and eat more over all? Do you think he may be teething?
I agree try to offer breakfast a bit later. Is he having any sort of milk prior to breakfast?

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 19:23:44 pm »
Yes he has a cup of milk before breakfast. Some days he drinks it all, some days like today, only a few sips. I generally offer breakfast about an hour after milk as i know he is not hungry but today for example he had a few sips of milk and then 10 minutes later started pulling me to the kitchen asking for food so i though he might be hungry and did breakfast with no luck.
I try to offer all kinds of things. Eggs, bread, veggies, fruit, but he still wont eat it. These are foods he really likes! I could be eating something an hour later and he will be begging to eat some of mine. He will eat every last bite of what i give him off my plate but it i decide to make the same thing for him the next day, since i noticed he likes it, he wont eat more than 3 bites.

I know snacks all day are not good but we will be having meltdowns all day if i say no. Even if we go out and he is sitting in his stroller he will yell for food!
Next month he is starting half days at creche. He will have his breakfast at home, a snack of some fruit around 930/10 and then lunch at 1130. If he doesnt start eating his breakfast he will be really hungry there...

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 19:31:39 pm »
Do you sit down and eat breakfast with him?

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 19:50:50 pm »
Not usually, it is way to early for me to even think of food :P
But there are also many times when we dont eat together for lunch or dinner and we dont have this problem...

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 19:55:56 pm »
It might be worth a try, even if you don't eat maybe sit and have a drink with him and make sure he has your attention?  Just wondering if he could be trying to connect with you a bit in the mornings and throwing/refusing food is a way of trying to get your attention?  May be completely wrong though, just thinking outside the box :)

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 20:00:50 pm »
Well i do sit with him when he eats even when i am not eating. I will try to interact with him more though...

If it doesnt help though, i hope once he is at creche and wont be able to eat every moment things will get back to normal..  :-\

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 20:43:51 pm »
May just be a phase, I'd keep offering and see how you go x

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:32:33 am »
Today was better. I acted much more interested in his meal and praised him when he ate. I also had breakfast myself, had to force it down at that hour :-X but it helped...

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 11:36:53 am »
:) glad it was a little easier today x