Author Topic: Numberjacks book/magazine  (Read 9717 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Numberjacks book/magazine
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:58:10 am »
Anyone have any of the Numberjacks books, or activity books etc? Just wondering if they are worth buying.
DS had ONE numberjacks magazine which he adored, totally adored, but we have read it a zillion times and eventually it has torn beyond the point of being taped.  They don't produce them any more which is a shame.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Numberjacks book/magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:36:41 am »
Never heard of it creations, but bumping this for you just in case someone else has. 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:40 am »
Thanks.  Maybe we were the only ones to buy the magazine - which is why they stopped printing it ;)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 14:54:48 pm »
:)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 17:36:22 pm »
Not come across any. Is there anything on the CBeebies website you could download and print instead?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 20:53:52 pm »
Unfortunately only colouring pages.
I've resorted to recording the current TV series and letting him watch and re-watch   ::)  Certainly not the same as reading a magazine together and doing all the puzzles etc

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 22:42:38 pm »
Check ebay...I just searched "numberjacks" and found two annuals (2009 & 2010) among the DVD listings on ebay.ca.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 23:02:14 pm »
Yeah it's those annuals plus some other books I've seen that I'm wondering if they are any good.  There are some activity books which would be great if they are like the magazines, maybe the annuals are like the magazine  :-\ 
There's a pocket library too, not sure if it's too young for DS as it's a set of board books, that's why I wondered if anyone had them for their LO.  Looks like we are the only numberjacks fans on BW!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:28:42 am »
Olly does like it but we haven't come across any magazines. I don't buy them often tbh and there are so many I prob missed it anyway. Those little boxes of board books are good if that is what you mean? Olly has Raa Raa and Fureman Sam ones. They make a jigsaw on the back  :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 14:50:34 pm »
It was more the activities and number puzzles I was interested in, if they are included in the books, the annuals etc, rather than colouring and 'just' the story (which I know he will like the story anyway, but he LOVES the range of activities in the magazine, getting something just like that would be super, it's hard to work out what's in the books etc from reviews and descriptions).  I think I'll just get him a few different ones for Xmas stocking fillers and hope for the best :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 17:15:25 pm »
Yeah, they seem cheap and would be good stocking fillers  :)

Have you tried the Cbeebies magazine? That seems quite good.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 19:57:17 pm »
We do get quite a lot of magazines yeah. I don't get the same one each time it is out and I don't buy one every week/month but we just pick and choose as and when it takes our fancy.  Tree Foo Tom, Alphablocks, Waybuloo, Cbeebies, Night Garden, Mr Blooms Nursery, Octonaughts...and we re-read them until they fall apart, and then re-cycle all the pictures to decorate busy boxes or make collages etc.  I think they are brilliant and worth every penny.  Certainly a different feel to a book.

I'm kind of wondering if there might be some specials out at Xmas, we might be able to get another numberjacks mag that way.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 21:06:48 pm »
I thought I replied to this the other day but it must not have posted.
We are huge numberjacks fans here. we have to act out roleplays with problem blobs and numbertakers ::)

I have actually just ordered the bumper activity book for Cadan from Amazon. It is yet to arrive but I can let you know when it arrives what it is like. The reviews were all great. Says it includes sorting objects into groups, counting, finding the odd one out, and spot the difference. This book features colouring pages and over 50 stickers of your favourite Numberjacks characters.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 21:31:19 pm »
This months Toybox magazine is a numbers one, and there is a good 8 pages of number jacks puzzles in it.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 22:04:03 pm »
That's good to know liz

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 22:19:47 pm »
Thanks Liz and Ali.
I must admit I never stop to look what's in Toybox!  I'll get it!
Yes please Ali, it would be good to hear what you think of the bumper activity book. What puts me off any of these is the mention of colouring pages, even stickers don't get me going although DS does like stickers (is there a child that doesn't?), but colouring in, he has zero interest (and tbh when there are free downloads of colouring sheets of every possible subject I don't really see the need for a colouring book, although he does have a couple).  The rest of it does sound good though.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 22:29:24 pm »
we have to act out roleplays with problem blobs and numbertakers
this is really amusing!  DS doesn't act out but gave us an entire run down of a blobber episode just after bath the other night, it's all very serious stuff!  I've just started to record a few episodes for him to watch at a convenient time of day and he just wants to watch the same episode over and over and over. As he is poorly just now he's watched 3 episodes of numberjacks about 10 times each today  :o  Just seems pointless arguing over it, he does eventually wander off to play with an actual toy.  Today after a lot of sofa cuddles he didn't seem to need me so much and I went to the kitchen, he left numberjacks to come see what I was doing and begged for a cloth so he could wash the cupboard doors with me.  Numberjacks finished in the living room and he again demanded it was re-played, even though he wasn't watching it!  This boy is obsessed.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 06:37:15 am »
We watch it on demand on our tv service. There are a week's worth available normally. I  think you can get on demand on a computer too.

Ill give you a run down when it comes.  Colby lives colouring (well,  drawing tiny coloured circles over everything anyway) so he can make use too.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 06:55:48 am »
Bit OT but it always amazes me when I see other kids focused on colouring or drawing/scribbling for a period of time. I remember seeing a little girl draw an intricate maze like wiggly line, one pen, one piece of paper, for an hour at play group. At snack time she had a melt down that she'd been interrupted.  She was a few months older than DS and I honestly thought he'd get to that stage of development too - well he hasn't, and that was a year ago.
I love the sound of Colby's little coloured circles :)

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 18:36:06 pm »
Megan went through the coloured circles stage. So very cute, and a nice change from the standard scribble!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 18:36:45 pm »
Olly isn't interested in coloring in either. Managed abut 5 mins of painting today though but I have to be there painting too or he loses interest. Odd isn't it? Thought they would love the colours and creativity  ???
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 22:40:12 pm by Buntybear »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 21:33:01 pm »
Yeah, DS asks for painting frequently but he doesn't actually paint. What he likes is getting all the paints out, getting a big blob of each colour on his pallet, then doing ONE dab with each colour and walk off. That's IT.  If I do it with him and really work hard on making it exciting and directed and encourage him etc etc we might get half an hour but it's like getting blood from a stone.  His coloured pens he's always been the same, name the colour, take the lid off, do one mark with it, put the lid back on, next colour. It was never about drawing only about colour naming and fine motor getting lids on and off.  He does always look excited and enthusiastic if arts and crafts are mentioned but the activity itself fails to meet up to his expectations.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 21:38:08 pm »
Sounds like it hasn't 'clicked' yet, but it will do at some point  :). Jacob was like that for a while, and then just started drawing real pictures. He isn't much about creative effects - would far rather draw deadly creatures for me - no matter what medium I give him yk?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 18:18:34 pm »
This months Toybox magazine is a numbers one
We got it!!!!
I tried 5 or 6 shops, no Toybox, then put in an urgent request to my Aunt who works in WH Smiths and after a hunt she found one in a cupboard out the back which I think had already been taken off the shelves but not yet returned to the publisher!  Hurrah for Aunts  :D

We've only had a very quick flick through as today has been so busy, but brilliant! Thank you so much for letting me know, my eyes were so intent on finding Number Jacks each shop trip that I would never have even thought to look at Toybox.
 :-*

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 19:09:48 pm »
We got the toy box mag too. Thanks Liz.

We received the numberjacks activity book but haven't started it yet. Had a quick look through and some of it seems similar to the stuff in the aforementioned toybox mag but some is drawing which is really too old for Cadan. E.g. Draw a picture of what humpy dumpy would look like if his legs fell off ??? We could just about manage an oval I think.

I'll let you know how Cadan finds the book. He whizzed through a lot of the stuff in toybox until he got sick of Colby bothering him trying to colour on the pages and stick the stickers everywhere. We'll have to wait until he is napping next time.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 19:42:20 pm »
Glad you both found it  :-* :-*

I got it for DD as she is hopeless with numbers. Wouldn't recognise one if she fell over it  ;) :P.

I must admit, DS ended up doing most of it for her, and really it is a bit simple for him. Silly kids!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 20:00:04 pm »
I think DS will answer the questions on the toybox book but is unlikely to do the 'tick the box' or 'circle the answer' type things, in a way that's fine as he will just go back and do it all again another day without the answers already being marked.  I suspect he will struggle with parts, like 'which has most' questions but that's ok too, it gives us a chance to keep looking and talking about those things.  I find it funny how he can count, one to one count, add, subtract (small numbers) could put together say a group of 10 objects and another group of 20 but still can't say which has most from 1, 3, 5.  It'll be interesting to see how he finds the magazine.

I wouldn't be able to get DS to even draw an oval.  He just will not draw on request. he did it once (just before his 2 yr dev check) when I badgered him to draw an O, a circle, the number zero, no, no, no, then "can you draw Earth?" oh yeah, and did it. That was the first circle he ever drew.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 20:12:49 pm »
Liz, DS is just obessed, it's just his 'thing', he was reading numbers before he said Mummy. Honestly I gave up that I was EVER going to be recognised as a person with a name. At 18 months he could read and say 2 6 7 8 0 3 (he learned out of sequence), at 20 months knew all the numbers to ten, could read and say 18 letters of the alphabet (the rest came at 21 months, again out of sequence) but he didn't bother to say Mummy until 21 months AFTER he learned to count backwards from 10 to 0.
When I say he is obsessed with letters and numbers he really is.  I think kids just decide what they like and go for it.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 20:28:14 pm »
Megan is more interested in letters, but obviously not great at all. I think she will learn by phonics and songs. She is quite musical, and very imaginative. She def needs to learn through play rather than out of showing any interest! Obviously at this age it hardly matters, but I still think it is really interesting how they develop.

She didn't really get the 'tick the box' thing, so DS did that for her, and he wrote all the numbers in for her. She managed all the shortest/ longest/ biggest stuff though - I think they had to stick a sticker to point at it? She did that easily.

My Mum (ex EYFS/KS1 teacher) says her practical maths is good, but the numbers part completely missing. She said she sat her down with 4 tubs and was asking her to put 3 bears in each dish, and she couldn't do it. She would sit and count '1,2,3', and then dump a handful of bear counters in the dish. So Mum would say 'no, Megan, 1,2,3 bears please' and she would say something like '3 bears, mummy and daddy and baby', then dump a handful in! What we are not sure is if she was taking the pee - she has a fab sense of humour - and we both seem to remember her denying she knew her colours for a very long time as well  ::) ::) ::).

Language is her 'thing'.

Anyone OT - but I just find this stuff so interesting - sorry  :-*

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 20:47:31 pm »
It really is interesting.
DS also dumps handfuls if asked to count into a tub, or to separate two different groups of objects (say blue cotton reels and red cotton reels) and yet one to one counted 50 chairs in the hospital waiting room with only maybe twice being corrected on what the next number was. I think with tubs he just doesn't see the point, it's as though he thinks "if you want them in there lets just put them in there" and cracks on with all of them, however if asked how many knives and forks we need to set the table he will count (in his head) correctly adding up mummy daddy himself and nana if she's here (so it is not always the same number) and will be able to get the correct number.  It's like he sees the point to that but not the point of tubs.
Separating too, he will separate the seeds from a pepper to bin the seeds, or make traffic jam lines of cars all of one colour next to another line of another colour, or he will take down and collect every blue magnetic letter and number off the fridge just because he wants to but asked to separate into tubs and he just says no or dumps them all in without separating.
Funny aren't they :)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 20:58:28 pm »
Your mum probably knows it all already Liz but I am reading a book called Marshmallow Maths (recommended by the lovely Creations) and it has great ideas for what are the building blocks of mathematical understanding for toddlers and how to incorporate it all in daily life.

I have the Numberjacks book with me now and to give an example of the activities there is one where you have to draw a line from Numberjack 4 to things he might like from a group of pictures such as a dog with 4 legs, a square, a bunch of 4 balloons and other things without 4 associated with them (that presumably he wouldn't like). Then there are stickers you can add more things he might like to the group.

There are 5 almost identical pictures where you need to spot the odd one out.

There is a grid with most of Numberjack 3 drawn in and you have to draw the rest of the lines to complete the drawing.

There is a picture with questions below about how many numberjacks there are and who is in the lift, what colour tags are and whether there are more blue or yellow triangles.

There is a sticker activity where you have to sort things into groups such as things for feet (socks, shoes), flying things, musical instruments. Then it has a page for you to draw your own mixed up group of things.

There are many, many more. It is fun but definitely not all counting.

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 21:05:03 pm »
Claire x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 21:28:38 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to describe it Ali.
I've listed it for a xmas stocking filler, I think there will enough there that he will enjoy.  Spot the difference and sorting things sounds good, sometimes I just try to find things to stop him counting and do something else yk? And he loves the characters so much I think this could be a hit and move him away from always counting, even though it's a numbers book!

Ah, the imagination tree, she always makes everything look SO gorgeous!

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 19:07:36 pm »
I LOVE the imagination tree. I might try something like that with Meg and see if a miracle occurs  ;) :P.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 20:35:59 pm »
DS enjoyed the numberjacks section of the mag today.
As expected he could anser almost all the questions easily but refused to tick, mark, draw a circle around, colour in etc. He did write the first 4 numbers in (the blobber ones) and did the stickers but otherwise just answered the questions.  He was correct on the trains 'which has the most yellow wheels' but couldn't do the coins 'who has got more coins'. I knew he didn't understand 'more than' although we did a few in the car and he could manage smaller numbers.

Looking forward to the rest of the magazine now :)