Author Topic: play doh cakes  (Read 4789 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
play doh cakes
« on: September 10, 2013, 13:33:01 pm »
Just wondering what you do with them after they are made?
We spent over an hour today making little cakes together, in mini cup cake cases, all decorated etc etc, and now I'm not sure what to do with them - just take them all apart?  Seems a shame to destroy them straight away (although I've photographed them). How long do you usually keep yours and do you try to separate out the colours again or lump it all together and let it become a marbled brown mess?

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: play doh cakes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 13:35:32 pm »
Crumbs - there's no way we could possibly keep all the cakes L makes!
They just get mushed up together and back in the tub.
When the play doh gets too yukky (in terms of colour) I make some fresh stuff.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 13:39:59 pm »
Mash it all back together! Eventually they end up leaving it out for too long and it dries up anyways so we toss it. Good idea to take pics...our creations never last long enough for me to do that.
Heidi

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 13:51:42 pm »
Ours go back in the tubs when we finish playing or it all dries up - I try really hard to keep the colours nice but DH and the kids just don't get it and mush them all up together :P

Laura

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 14:05:49 pm »
No mixing of colours allowed in our house! I'm a meanie mummy! We decorate them with matchsticks, beads and buttons. So we take out those and put back in tubs! 

*Nicola*

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 14:25:20 pm »
I've never made them with DS - I must be such a mean mother!

All the play doh went to the out of school club last year....can't stand the fact that the stuff gets *everywhere*.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 14:32:04 pm »
I've never made them with DS - I must be such a mean mother!

All the play doh went to the out of school club last year....can't stand the fact that the stuff gets *everywhere*.

I hate the mess too...which is why we kept our old kitchen table in the basement (cement floor) for play do and crafts as it is super easy to clean up. Of course I cheat and let the bits on the floor dry up and then sweep. Or the dogs eat it!
Heidi

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 17:58:49 pm »
Well, it was our first cake baking play doh session which was why it seemed such a shame to mush them. Would have been nice to save them just until tomorrow so Nana could see them but they have now been mushed.
Very funny reading about the colouring mixing dilemma!   We have mixes and non-mixes, so when I took the cakes apart I did put all the colours back together so far as I could but also produced a couple of mixed mush colour tubs too.  I even encourage mixing!  A few of the cakes were decorated with 'butter cream' which looked like big fat piping, it was extruded using the fun factory extruder and I showed DS how you can put in two colours together to get a striped extrusion.  Looked so cool.  Anyway, Nana will just see photos, DP got to the see real things before they were taken apart.

We were given a whole box of of play doh (and non-brand doh) colours and for the last couple of years have only used a few of them, this was really the first time we had call for different colours for an extended and meaningful activity. It was so much fun!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 19:12:48 pm »
Play-doh is out at least once a week here! DD loves it, she will happily sit for an hour+ playing with it, she likes to have a grown up there but is equally happy if we pop in and out while she does her thing!

She also likes moon sand and moon dough  - daddy is better at letting her have that out to play with than I am (and the rule is the parent who gets it out cleans it up!)

Laura

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 19:17:54 pm »
I don't allow mixing either, although my rules have relaxed with each child and we have ended up with a few tubs of mixed colours. Ds adores play doh too - he sat in his chair for an hour and half the other day (while we had a play date!) playing with it.

If they make something really amazing you can cook it - it goes hard then, so you can keep it for as long as you like. I have an elephant that dd1 made about 5 years ago!

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 19:24:38 pm »
I don't allow mixing either, although my rules have relaxed with each child and we have ended up with a few tubs of mixed colours. Ds adores play doh too - he sat in his chair for an hour and half the other day (while we had a play date!) playing with it.

If they make something really amazing you can cook it - it goes hard then, so you can keep it for as long as you like. I have an elephant that dd1 made about 5 years ago!

Is this with actual play-doh or homemade recipes too? We've made salt dough and baked it but never heard of baking actual play-doh!

*Nicola*

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 19:25:08 pm »
If they make something really amazing you can cook it
I take it your mean just the home made flour dough type of play dough and not the 'real' play doh?  I can't imagine real play doh cooking.

DS isn't a huge play doh fan but has always liked the extruder if he has total one to one time with an adult, he'll use some little cookie cutters too sometimes and has even been known to get involved with alien making but it does take a LOT of adult interaction.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 19:28:46 pm »
Nope - real play doh cooks too.

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 19:38:43 pm »
i * love* play-doh!!!!i mean, i seriously love it!!!thank goodness, DD is showing an interest in it!!!!
never knew you could cook it though!!!!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 21:24:28 pm »
real play doh cooks too.
Wow, who knew? (Well, clearly you did)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 21:45:43 pm »
Z loves play doh ATM. We have the construction sets (so much more interested now I have these)
I try to to separate the colours after but meh...all part of the fun ;)

Here's what he had if anyone else's little boys want construction play
http://www.hasbro.com/playdoh/en_US/shop/details.cfm?R=0599A8C2-5056-900B-10DB-57B728FECA76:en_US
http://www.thetoyshop.com/Play-Doh/Play-Doh-Diggin'-Rigs-Rowdy-Trash-Tossin'-Garbage-Truck/p/513871 but there is an Entire collection.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 22:16:05 pm »
I think the tools and sets make a big difference. We'd love some of the construction sets, I've marked a couple for possible xmas/birthday gifts, the only thing is we have so much other (non play doh) construction stuff I sort of feel like we shouldn't get yet more.  They really are lovely though.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 22:27:30 pm »
I hear you creations ;) I love the ice cream one...but I know Z wouldn't be interested....maybe I could get it for me :D
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 22:31:59 pm »
I actually keep playdohs in a bigger quite air tight tuppaware.  So packing up is easier, no need to try and put it back into little tubs.  I used to be strict with mixing colours, but then i thought, why?  It is meant for fun and explore.  If there are big chunks in same colour, i might try to pull them apart.  Big box means that you can just keep the art in it.  Next time perhaps DS sees them wants to modify or destroy, so it is up to him. 

I just bought a new popcorn making machine playdoh set, I think DS is finally starting to enjoy it. 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 07:09:36 am »
Sara the fun factory is quite adaptable, it isn't an 'ice cream' machine of course but the various shapes that can be extruded can be used for so many things without it being labelled as 'ice cream' or 'cake' yk?  They would be great lined up in blue for pools and ponds to make scenes, or grass, maybe to go with the construction stuff, we used one which came out like a fabulously piped cup cake and it would work brilliantly as a whippy ice cream too.  One of the reasons I chose it was he'd been given a second hand one but the shapes part was missing/broken so it just came out as square sausages but he really enjoyed it so I got a new one for him, and because it is not specific so encourages imagination and doesn't limit play to one thing.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playdoh-50th-Birthday-Factory-Store/dp/B0035G0BRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378883154&sr=8-1&keywords=play+doh+fun+factory

why?  It is meant for fun and explore.  If there are big chunks in same colour, i might try to pull them apart
Yeah that's what I do.

Koe I almost sorted out a plastic tub to store all the cup cakes in yesterday but in the end decided just clear up, there will be more! I only wanted Nana to see them as they were so cute.  I might get some little cones (real or not) to make ice creams too, sounds like that would be fun.
Little googly eyes were popular here for making aliens, and bendy straws cut to different lengths for strange long necks or arms and legs.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 07:55:00 am »
Can you post the photo you took creations? Would love to see what the cakes looked like.

I am thinking of getting L some more 'kit' now for her playdoh (which she loves). Maybe if she gets some birhday money or an idea for Xmas..
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 10:20:01 am »
Ha - I still have last Xmas's Strawberry Santas on my phone still not uploaded!!!!!!!!  THAT'S how bad I am at getting photos onto the computer!  If I ever get around to it, sure I'll post some lol
They were cute, though, DP thought they were real cakes! To be fair I did help rather a lot, it's the only way to get DS interested in play doh and we had to spend the entire day at home so I knew I had to throw myself into every activity and provide some new ideas etc.  it was amazing it held his attention so long. He isn't like some your LOs who just enjoy play doh!

The play doh sets are quite good for xmas wish lists aren't they.