Author Topic: 2 week old fussiness or reflux  (Read 2757 times)

Offline hulagirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
2 week old fussiness or reflux
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:21:06 pm »
Hi
I am not sure if this is in the right place as it seems to cover most topics so feel free to move it.

D's is now 16 months and has had silent  reflux since he was a couple of weeks old but not diagnosed till 7 months he is now on omprezole and apart from odd bad day is very settled.

So dd is 2 weeks old now and is feeding 2-3 hrs during the day she is bottle formula feed (cow and gate) she is having 100ml-120ml at each feed.
Her poos are runny yellow/green about 3 times a day
She is pretty good getting wind up but on at least 2 feeds a day she is struggling
Hiccups at least 5 times a day
Wet burps
After her night feed she cries off and on for up to 2hrs even though she is tired And by time I get her to sleep she is coming up to another feed 
When she yawns she  pulls  a funny face like she is in pain
No spit up
I have always got her to sleep on her left side she seems to settle OK ish
I spoke to my HV about whether it is silent reflux or just newborn fussiness she said could be either.
I have a doctors appointment next week but got fobbed off so much last time I don't want the same thing to happen again.

I was at the doctors at least every 3 weeks from 8 weeks till 7 months and only got some answers after bursting onto tears in the surgery due to frustration and lack of sleep

So my question is what does it sound like
What do I say to my doctor
Do I request a consultant appointment.

I should know all this from before but my brain does not want to work anymore.

Thank you so much in advance. X

Offline yufeiisme

• My Sunshine
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 2 week old fussiness or reflux
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:44:02 pm »
Hi hugssss darl. I absolutely feel for you. Dd had silent reflux since she was 3 wo...but docs all thought I was the stereotype first time mum, everyone was reluctant to put her on meds. Subsequently she woke up every fifteen min when she slept. She was hungry but screamed during feed etc..

Having said that, all the symptoms you described are quite normal for new borns. Does she cry after every feed or just the night feed? Distinct symptom of reflux is bottle refusal even when lo is hungry. Is your dd on formula? A good way to test it out is to use a thickened formula, and see if she feels better. I suggest you still ask for meds when you go see the doc. And observe her reaction. Perhaps try tummy message to eliminate colic or gas pain. See if elevation helps.

Offline hulagirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 13:01:43 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply.
She can be fussy during the day but its mostly at night example yestersay was like this.
Wu 6am 100ml
8.30am 90ml
11.30am 100ml
2pm 100ml
5.30pm 100ml
8.15pm  100ml
Then she slept till 12.15am 100ml cried till gave more food at 1.30am 60ml cried again till 2.15am gave top up of 40ml
Slept till 5.30am.

So I wasn't doing dream feed as she is difficult to get back to sleep if woken
She is on formula c&g
I guess what I am worried about is thinking there is an issue if there isn't and its just her being little.
We never had this fussiness with ds even with the reflux, he never had bottle refusal and fed well but was in pain after
Both of them put on weight well, which is why the did never listened about ds
Dd is the same going from 7lb 13oz at birth to 8lb7oz at 2 weeks. X

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 20:24:01 pm »
How much are you offering in each bottle?

I think it's a bit early to tell really but I would also trust your mummy instinct and if you think there is an issue see the Dr sooner rather than later. You have reflux experience to compare to so you do know what you are looking for.

Laura

Offline hulagirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:50 am »
Hi.
I am offering 120ml in each feed. Sometimes she takes 110ml others 80ml.
X

Offline yufeiisme

• My Sunshine
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 00:54:09 am »
Hi darl the amound she is taking sounds perfectly fine. My dd never took more than 80ml untill she was about three mo. Uou are not suppose to wake her up when dream feeding. Do you actually mean she wouldl wake up due to discomfort ?

Offline hulagirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:46:15 am »
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
With the dream feed it never worked with my son and I guess going on past experience I was worried it wouldn't work with her and as I struggle to get her to sleep anyway I didn't want her disturbed.
I might give it a go tonight.
There is definitely issue's with reflux going on as well. X