Author Topic: Struggling with Easy  (Read 938 times)

Offline Neevs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Struggling with Easy
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:56:08 am »
Hi, My Lo who is 4 months and 3 weeks was started on Easy last week.He never had any schedule and had very erratic eating/sleep patterns.After implementing easy, he sleeps a lot better at night.Goes to bed at 0700 pm and wakes around 6 with usually one NW.(before easy, his bedtime used to be 1000pm.. ::) ::) ::) ::))What I am concerned about is his daytime sleep.I watch for sleep cues and always put him in bed as soon as he appears sleepy.He had a bad sleep association to being rocked to sleep, but is slowly learning to sleep without being rocked.He has trouble transitioning between sleep cycles and needs to be picked up to help him go back to sleep.I never get more tHan an hour's nap from him.WHile his night time sleep has improved tremendously, his naps remain troublesome.WOuld his new schedule of longer night sleep be a cause of this?         
This is his current schedule..                                                                                             
Wake up 0600-I try my level best to extend this to 0700.                                                                             
Eat-0700(150ml EBM)                                                                                                                         
A-0700-0845                                                                                                                                       
S-0845-0930-0945                                                                                                                                           
A-till 1100 from wake up time.                                                                                                             
E-180 ml EBM                                                                                                                                       
A-1100 -1200 -1215.                                                                                                                           
S-1215-1315-1330-1345                                                                                                                       
A till 1500.                                                                                                                                           
E -1500(150ml EBM )                                                                                                                           
A-1500-1630-1700                                                                                                                                       
E at 1700 (150ml ebm ).     
CN at 1700-1715 for 30 min.                                                                       
E at 1830   
BT at 1900. 
DF 2215.   
NW @ 0200( working on it).   
w.up @ 0600.       

What could be messing up his naps? I dont know..any help would be much appreciated...TIA...                                                                                                                          Neethu, mom to touchy-textbook Austin.   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:22:52 am by Erin M »

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Struggling with Easy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 17:33:16 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

I can think of three possibilities that can cause the short naps:
1. He is UT and wakes up after finishing the first sleep cycle of 45min. If that is the case then increasing his A times gradually by 10min might lengthen the naps.
2. The 45min naps are developmental and he will grow out of it.
3. He doesn't know how to go through the sleep cycles himself.

what you could do to check which one is it is to increase his A time by 10-15min and see if it makes a difference. On the days you are increasing A times you would more look at the clock than following sleepy cues. He might seem very tired in the last 15min, that's normal and might start doing 30-35min naps which are OT, that's also normal and usually goes away after on the second-third day of the increased A time.
If that doesn't work then you can work on helping him going through the sleep cycles himself, more on that here: How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)
If you tried both options for long enough and there is still no change then perhaps it's developmental.
Good luck! :)
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Neevs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 23:24:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply Ima! I have been doing pressure at the jolts for his NW, but looks like his wakings are rather from hunger.He takes around 120 Mls around 0200, usually 4hrs after the dream feed.i introduced solids to his diet yesterday and is slowly increasing his day time EBM intake as well hoping he would stop NWs.Regarding his naps, I increased his morning A by 15min today.He usually starts stirring at 35 min, so I will do wake to sleep and see how it goes...Thanks! :)

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 17:48:36 pm »
If he is EBF then 2-3 NF are still very normal and I wouldn't worry about it at all at this stage. I was more referring to his naps.
Give the higher A time a couple of days to work and only if the waking into the nap continues then try W2S or HTTJ, otherwise we won't know which one is working or not working.
If he is EBF then I'd give a second thought about the solids. The WHO's recommendation is to start and give solids at the age of 6m as before that a baby's stomach is not mature enough for solids and it can cause constipation and discomfort. There is anyway no guarantee and as well no proof that solids will make him sleep longer at night.

Offline Neevs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:26:50 am »
I increased his A time by 15 minutes today and did w2 sleep at 30 minutes...Yes, it did work..he slept for 2 hrs on his am nap and around 1.5 hrs for the pm nap...I am very happy about this....Thanks a lot for the advise..He has been resisting his cat naps for the last few days, but still not very cranky at BT as I thought..I might try pushing his BT forward by may be 30 min or something..  :) :)

Offline Ima shel Alon

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
Sounds like a good progress!