Author Topic: Help my 8.5 mth baby suddenly refuses to eat solid!!!  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Help my 8.5 mth baby suddenly refuses to eat solid!!!
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:59:04 am »
My baby has stopped loving her food for a week. Refused to be spoonfed so I started BLW but she hardly eats anything. She ate some tiny amount like a mouth full then chucked the rest on the floor. If I give more she clamped shut her mouth or she gags and pukes everything put including milk. She is not teething her bottom teeth has just came up. She trying to crawl at the moment but apart from that I don't know y. Her milk quantity has also reduced.

Her easy was
Wu 0600
0650 milk 160 used to be 200ml I have reduced otherwise she won't have breakie.
0945 nap
1130 milk 200ml
1230/1245 lunch
330pm milk 150ml ( these two days I have taken this out because she won't have dinner but it hasn't helped)
1700 dinner
1830 milk 180ml

Help what should I do? I gave her pouch food so I can squeeze it in her mouth, even that she only takes a few mouth full.
Today I made her omelette n carrot stick n pasta, she had a few mouth of omelette then chucked the rest n refused the pasta.
She used to love her food n ate a lot half a bowl for lunch.

What can I do?...so worry that she will lose wt if she carries n like this.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Help my 8.5 mth baby suddenly refuses to eat solid!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:16:40 pm »
She sounds like she might be unwell, actually.  Not seriously unwell, but feeling under the weather enough that she doesn't want to eat much. It doesn't really matter at this age if she isn't taking much in the way of solids, milk should still be her main source of nutrition.  I'd just let her eat a bit of what she fancies and then don't stress about the rest, keep offering plenty of milk and fluids and keep an eye on wet nappies.  Yes if she isn't 100% she might lose a bit of weight, that happened with my DD every time we had a phase of this, but it's not going to hurt her unless the weight loss is severe or prolonged.  Keeping her hydrated is the priority.  Any concerns maybe a trip to your doctor might set your mind at ease?

Offline Miraclelim

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07:36 am »
Hi but she will happily eat just toast with avocado n banana as finger food n refused everything else. I don't understand. I m so stressed. I also have reduced the milk feed to three times a day. It has helped slightly provided I give her avocado on toast or banana then she will it.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 12:51:53 pm »
I wouldn't reduce her milk at this age - as I said before it is more important that she gets milk than solids as milk has a much higher calorie value than many of the other foods you will be giving.  Food is really only for fun before the age of one :). When my DD isn't feeling 100% she will only eat her favourite foods but refuse almost everything else, it's very normal. Try not to stress too much - she will pick up on that and you really don't want to turn mealtimes into a battle.  Offer some of what she likes for each meal, plus a small portion of something different and if she eats it, fine, if she doesn't, also fine.  Just keep offering :)