Author Topic: Stationary activity for (almost) 1yr old?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline BabyKain12

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Stationary activity for (almost) 1yr old?
« on: September 12, 2013, 21:37:31 pm »
My son is just over 10mo and gets into everything. I do some work at home but not much, maybe 2-3 hrs per week. Does anyone know of a stationary type entertainer for a toddler? His packnplay is too large for the room, I don't want to leave him alone in another room, he has outgrown his jumper and swing... I need ideas for something safe and fun with minimal supervision that will keep him happy for about an hour at a time. He does ok watching tv but I don't want to use that too much, I usually just use it if I need a shower and daddy isn't home. I guess as a last ditch effort it will work but I'd like something more stimulating if possible...

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Stationary activity for (almost) 1yr old?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 22:07:56 pm »
A ball pool? Baby walker? Musical instruments? Pots and pans? Cornflour and water in a tub in his high chair? Food? Play doh(well actually you would need to supervise him closer for that I guess to make sure he doesn't eat it).

Can he walk or crawl? It will be so hard to keep him still.

Do you have a garden? Chasing a ball around?

I am wondering if you may need to adjust your expectations.  :-\ I don't know any 1yo who would self-entertain for an hour. If it is only a few hours a week you need to work could you not time it with when he is taking a nap?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 18:38:11 pm »
My DS used to like looking at the junk mail! But this needs supervision too. At that age pretty much anything does - like Ali says his nap time is probably your best bet.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:43:36 am »
DS wasn't capable of entertaining himself for that long at that age, and he's really good at it now (and has been since about 16mo)!

I worked from home a lot then too, but could only really do it when DS was napping / asleep at night. I wouldn't have let him watch that much tv at that age either - 10 mins would be enough.

It's really difficult to get work done when you have no childcare (btdt frequently!) but LO will reach an age where he can entertain himself for longer and it does get easier to fit it all in  :)