Author Topic: Waking after 1 sleep cycle at night  (Read 3693 times)

Offline AbbaG

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 03:59:15 am »
Hey - thanks again!

I'm in Melbourne, so it's actually warming up here (slowly!). Also, we have the central heating set on 18 24/7 so I suspect cold is not an issue.

We have around 2.15 A time each time (which we just extended to) - you think another increase?
His DOB is 9 April.

Today his naps were

1st nap - down 9.25, asleep 9.28, woke 10.44 - no wake in between.

2nd nap - down 12.58, asleep 1.05 - 1.40, just went back to sleep at 2.00 - the longest its taken all week I think!

All naps used to revolve around an exact 40 minute cycle - this seems to have changed dramatically in the past few weeks - I assume this is normal?

Your point around solids is an interesting one - as the 2 nights that he near slept through we didn't feed solids at all. I'll give your suggestion a go. Thanks. I was thinking that we'd perhaps go to 3 solids meals once he hits 6 months - do you think this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks so much - your advice really is priceless and you have my word that I will donate to BW ASAP!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:04:14 am by AbbaG »

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Waking after 1 sleep cycle at night
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 04:05:57 am »
Most babies don't get to 3 solids meals til 9 months - its all about tasting and fun until they're 12 months and milk has more calories than solids anyway, so milk is far more important now. A lot of mums have to cut solids back when bubs start waking more at night because they're hungry.

Naps are definitely changing for the better. 1:15 solid is a better nap but still less than the 2 sleep cycles and indicative of UT. Less UT than the constant 40min wakings but still I reckon increasing your A times is a good idea.

Offline AbbaG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 05:37:01 am »
Thanks re solids.

Wrt the second nap today - he slept 1.05 to 1.40, 2 to 2.05 and 2.15 to 3.05. So if I'm counting right, a total of 1.20...

A few times this week we've had longish naps but broken up by 1 or 2 wakings - I assume his is not as restorative as being unbroken but is it restorative enough? Can it be followed by 2.15 / 2.30 awake time?

Offline becj86

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 09:35:11 am »
Its not as restorative but its ok to stick with your new A time. I think those breaks should disappear once you hit the right A time. Don't go any higher than 2:30 unless you stick at that for at least a week though, sometimes these new A times need time to settle and mums push too far in eagerness to get it sorted and end up with a right mess.

Offline AbbaG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 05:10:14 am »
2.30 seems to be working well thanks - will stick to this for at least a week as you have recommended.... Still have the occasional break but mostly working well.

Moving solids for the last couple of days seems to have helped too..
Friday he woke 10ish 12ish (SS) and fed at 2.30, woke 6.45
Sat he woke 10ish (SS) 12ish (needed help to settle), fed 3.15, woke 7.15

Now to cut out the 10ish and 12ish wakings...

Thanks again for your advice, clearly it's really helped.

Offline becj86

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 06:05:11 am »
That's ok. Those wakings may settle once the naps settle too. Glad you've seen some improvement :)

Offline AbbaG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 20:15:06 pm »
Becj86 - I just had to let you know ...

Yesterday we had a 1.5 hour nap (without breaks!) yay!

& last night he woke at 11 - needed some help to settle, and didn't wake again! It's now 6.11 and although I can see him stirring on the monitor I haven't hearda peep from him yet!

How amazing is that??!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline becj86

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 22:04:52 pm »
Brilliant ;D

Offline AbbaG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 10:11:08 am »
Hi BecJ86,

Daytime naps are still going well, we tend to get 2 hours, 1.5 hours and 30 mins / 20 mins (generally via APOP) for our 3 naps.

Nights are still hit or miss, we have the occasional STTN, nights with 1 wake up and some nights with lots of wake ups... Hoping this will get better through time.

Hoping you can answer a couple of questions for me...

1) We're still at 2.5 hours awake time... What signs should I look for to extend this?

2) Our last nap falls either from 5 (till 5.20/30) - if in cot (generally from EW) or from 5.30ish (till 5.50/6.00) - would be via APOP in pram as previous nap ended about 3.30.
He still occasionally wakes 40 minutes into his night time sleep... Like tonight, but I don't think he was OT tonight as today naps went as below. Is it possible to be UT for night-time sleep?
    Woke for day at 6am (first time in weeks that he wouldn't SS)
    Nap 1 8.29 to 9.38, 9.48 to 10.38 (first time we've seen this break in over a week)
    Nap 2 1.10 to 2.40
    Nap 3 5.05 to 5.35
    To bed - lights off around 6.54, asleep around 7.08
    Woke 7.42ish - rolled onto side and a little shh pat to assist in SS

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:12:55 am by AbbaG »

Offline becj86

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 22:20:07 pm »
Days are looking better. Signs for increasing A time could be shortening naps, waking 45/50 or 1:20ish into naps regularly, nights getting progressively shorter. Basically by 6-7 months, he'll be at 3hr A time or thereabouts. You can fairly easily increase your A time by 5-10min every week or two and keep on top of it that way if you're having trouble catching the patterns/signs.

He still occasionally wakes 40 minutes into his night time sleep... Like tonight, but I don't think he was OT tonight as today naps went as below. Is it possible to be UT for night-time sleep?
This can be overtiredness, though the behaviour is pretty frantic/frustrated when LO wakes from OT early in the night. Could also be overstimulation - often happens when dad comes home an hour or so before bed and plays boisterously with LO. Could be UT, especially now he's getting better naps you could probably extend that last A time after the CN to 1:45 or 2hr.

Offline AbbaG

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 01:03:51 am »
Interestingly our first nap today was just 1.18, after consistently 2 hours for a bit over a week now. 15 minutes later he hasn't cried but also hasn't gone back to sleep...

Think I'll try a 10/ 15 minute jump tomorrow - do you agree?

Thx

Offline becj86

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 01:54:46 am »
I would. You can always go back if things don't settle in a week but I think there are enough signs that he needs that extra jump.

This may be helpful: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 03:01:09 am »
Just to add to the post.  I was having the same issues with the waking after 30-40 at BT and Layla (another moderator here at BW) suggested it was OT.  I now make sure I always do a catnap of 30-45 minutes around 4ish and that has helped tremendously.  Tonight I can hear him grousing a bit but he's not waking and the last two nights he hasn't made a peep after 7pm (until 1am)!  I will not waver from this catnap, not even over this Thanksgiving weekend, which I foresee as being hell for me, baby sleep wise BTW.

Cheers,