Author Topic: How to combine Breastfeeding with Formula feeding at 9 months SUCCESSFULLY  (Read 1070 times)

Offline snhill

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Becoming Madre
Hey everyone. I know there are a MILLION topics about this however I feel like each situation is different which is why I'm starting a new topic. However if my question has been answered before, please go ahead and send me over there.

I have a (almost) 9 month old who doesn't quite weigh 14 pounds. We went to the doctor and she had actually lost weight but the doctor said that was probably because she was (is) sick.  She's been gaining on the slow side but has never lost weight.

She hasn't mentioned adding any formula but I feel like either she needs to gain more weight and apparently breastfeeding alone (well and solid foods) isn't enough and she needs more than I'm able to give her. Which actually kills me to admit. I honestly thought I did everything right as far as breastfeeding goes... but who knows?

Anyway I want to continue breastfeeding as much as I can but I am going to try to give her some formula and see if that helps any with the weight gain.

Has anyone done this successfully? I don't want it to end the breastfeeding relationship so any advice on how to start this and continue on at least until a year would be great!

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: How to combine Breastfeeding with Formula feeding at 9 months SUCCESSFULLY
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 19:09:47 pm »
If you're going to give it a go, you might find a fair bit of refusal at the start just because formula tastes very different to breastmilk.

When we mixed fed DS I would BF him first and then offer a top up FF afterwards.  You might want to let her have a little rest between breast and bottle to make sure she's eating to hunger and not be worried if she doesn't finish what you offer, which, to start with, could probably be as little as a couple of ounces.

We started mixed feeding at around 4m and I continued to BF until 12m, so you're almost there already :)
*** Amanda ***