Author Topic: Refusing to eat  (Read 1719 times)

Offline ills84

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:11 am »
Hi everyone,

I have an 11.5 month old DD who hates to eat at the moment. she started solids when she was 4.5 months due to her silent reflux, which stopped at about 8months old. She has always been a bad eater, but lately nothing will work, as soon as I put her in the highchair she starts crying, hates being spoon feed unless it's yogurt or custard. I've tried finger foods and no go, she will eat biscuits and cheese. I've even left the spoon and bowl to see if she will feed herself, but she just pushes it away and screams at me.

I hate feeding her. She is sick at the moment so Iunderstand that she might not want to eat, but this started before she was sick. Even her milk intake has gone from 500-600mls down to about 150-300mls. Iam hoping it's a phase, does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with it? I don't want to create a bad relationship with food, but I can't just let her eat custard and yogurt at every meal.

Thanks

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Refusing to eat
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 14:20:43 pm »
Catherine x

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 14:57:31 pm »
How long has this been going on for? Is she teething atm? My LO would go through phases of only wanting banana and custard when teething, anything else was obviously sore for her. Maybe try some teething gel before mealtime to see if that helps? Although if she is sick right now I probably wouldn't worry until she's better, as long as she's getting enough fluids. x
*Nuala*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 18:01:19 pm »
oH yes, prime time for teething effecting wating. It was this age that Olly stopped eating any food I made and would only eat out of a pouch  :P

Just keep persevering, keep trying foods, keep it fun, keep it happy  ;D

Offline ills84

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 20:01:30 pm »
It's been going on now for about 2-3 weeks although she has always been a bad eater even with milk. She has been teething but it seems that teething gel and pain relief dont make any difference. Thanks for the links and suggestions, ill try them out.
It's so hard to make it happy as she screams and waves her arms.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 20:04:44 pm »
Is there any chance the reflux is back and not under control?  Teething can cause big reflux flares.

Offline ills84

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:07 am »
Iam not too sure about the reflux as she eats cheese and biscuits, custard and yogurt without a problem. She has been really clingy too, like I can't even leave her and even when Iam with her she is whingy, I know her cold hasn't completely gone, so Iam hoping that once she is well again it will stop. It's just really hard as she only wants me, even when DH holds her she screams, wiggles. She has also been having tantrums.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 18:42:08 pm »
Could you do something like a carpet picnic at lunch times? Or leave bowls of food around so she can eat when she is ready?