Author Topic: resettle or not?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline amycyt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
resettle or not?
« on: October 04, 2013, 17:28:51 pm »
What is the right way to do?  If baby wakes in the middle of the night not crying, just rolling around, cooing and chatting, do you attempt to resettle or just let him fall asleep on his own? What if after 1 hr or 2, he still doesn't fall asleep, should I go in? Mine is 7 months old. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: resettle or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 17:32:41 pm »
If he is happy and chatting I would not go in...however I would look at my daytime routine and see what needs to change because that kind of nw says ut to me and some tweaking may be needed (lime dropping the catnap or a bit longer a times).
Heidi

Offline amycyt

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 17:57:09 pm »
Yes working on tweaking A time and dropping cn gradually.  Only been on EASY for a month.  Just want to know how I should handle the NW for now.  I have been constantly going in and resettling him.  Sometimes works, sometimes don't.  Just thinking maybe I should let him have his own party until he falls back to sleep.  But I am afraid he will eventually be crying for help.  I really don't want to do pu/pd.  Hopefully he will sttn soon so I can sttn too.  Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 19:49:22 pm »
How do you settle him now? Is he able to fall asleep independantly? I used shh/pat on my two oldest girls as they were very spirited and touchy and wouldnt have handled pupd at all.  Even at that age it still worked with DD2...using white noise instead of shhing though!
Heidi

Offline amycyt

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 21:28:37 pm »
Unfortunately I do use a pacifier.  Not sure if paci became a prop or not. He does need paci to fall asleep but most of the time he spits it out after he falls asleep.  I also pat him quietly.   White noise is a must.  But I only use it for daytime naps and first part of the night.  I turn it off before I go to bed as night time is pretty quiet.

It is not easy to extend his A time.  I have been doing 2.45 for a week and he still shows tiredness at 2.30.  I don't think he is ready for 3h yet.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 22:07:11 pm »
We have white noise on all night...even DD1 still uses hers! She also used a paci but around that age learned to replug herself so we put a whole bunch in the crib so she could always find one (by then she was on her tummy). 

I remember DD2 at one point was showing what I thought were tired signs but she was actually bored! Was super sensitive to OS when tiny but I didnt realize she was ready for more activity that was not low key.
Heidi

Offline amycyt

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 22:16:06 pm »
ha how come I never thought of it.  I should put a few paci in the crib as well.  My LO also knows how to replug but sometimes the paci flies out of his reach or he sleeps right on it.  Thanks for the tips.

Hmmm....bored or tiredness?  I don't think he is bored but I could be wrong.  He yawns and starts to fuss so I assume he is tired.