Author Topic: 11 month old NW, taking a long time to resettle???  (Read 3151 times)

Offline sarahabreu19

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 11 month old NW, taking a long time to resettle???
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 20:51:03 pm »
Yeah, the only prob with keeping my hands on her legs/back/chest is that she wants to hold me hands, and uses them as her lovey of sorts. also, what I have noticed is that if she falls asleep that way, it's almost impossible for me to take them away without her waking up. anyways, last night was lots better. we started WD at 645, and she was in her crib by 7. She was pretty happy, cried a bit, sat down, played a bit, and ended up laying herself down and falling asleep with very little crying/fussing by 730pm. However, she did wake up at 3, and took about 2 hours to resettle :(

She slept until 735 this morning. She fell asleep in the car for 5 minutes at 1115, but didnt transfer into her crib (which was fine by me). I fed her lunch, and we played until 1215. She took 15 minutes to settle, much like last night some playing in her crib, some crying, and then fell asleep. and she slept for 1.5 hours! the longer A time def helped. I think depending on her WU times, I will be moving to 1 nap with early bedtime and see how she does. here's hoping...

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 23:49:05 pm »
Yeah, during the 2-1 transition, you will have to do some days with one nap and early bt and two naps on other days. 

When she's up in the MOTN, is she crying or playing?

Offline sarahabreu19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 18:26:14 pm »
When she wakes in the MOTN, she is really upset, crying, not happy. usually at SOME point if it's a long waking, she'll start saying hi, and babbling to herself, but it doesn't last long. Last night she was up at 12, settled really fast. then she was up at 4, she would settle down with my hands on her back or holding my hands, and even let me remove them eventually but she hears EVERYTHING and wakes up as soon as the floor creaks or the door makes any noise...so she was up until after 5, i fed her around 515 and then she fell asleep until 7:10. (She went to sleep at 6:45 last night, only took 15 minutes to settle down).

So far today... she was up until 11:45 (so 4.5 hours or so), took 5 minutes to settle and slept for 1 and 15 minutes! so longer A time is definitely working. :) yay. I don't think we'll have time for a catnap, but we'll see. I might try to keep her up until 6. my DH is going out of town early tomorrow morning until late Saturday night, so i'm really hoping these NWs cease... :S but im hopeful for this new nap routine.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 23:41:49 pm »
Glad the longer As are working.  If you are not going to have a CN, the def do an EBT.  I'm not sure what to make of the long nw's.  I'm thinking either discomfort of some kind or OT (or a combo of both). I guess that's where you will have to watch the afternoon A to make sure it doesn't get too long. 

Offline sarahabreu19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:25 am »
so this afternoon she went with DH to the store, and slept for about 30 minutes on the way there, from 3:30-4. She was acting tired around that time, which i thought was a bit odd, given her longer morning nap, but that was that. she was super happy when she got back, had a great dinner and evening playtime. settled her down for bed at 745, and she literally took 2 minutes to settle down :) im thinking she's has a bit of chronic OT, given her short naps and long NWs this past month. hopefully the 2 hours of daytime sleep will help her STTN! we shall see...

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 10:30:48 am »
:). Fx.  How did things go last night?

Offline sarahabreu19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 15:05:53 pm »
so last night (monday) she slept until 5:10. So I think her habitual waking has more to do with number of hours of sleep than with the time of night. It's always about 9 hours after she goes to sleep. I fed her right away since it was already 5am. she nursed for 30 minutes. Not constant, hard sucking nursing, but i decided not to try to move her until she was really settled again. and she stayed asleep until 7:10 this morning. Not sure if I will just have to cutout that feeding in order to stop the NWs, or if W2S would be better. It is pretty much the only good feeding she is having anymore. She nurses at most for 2 minutes at any other time even when going to bed now. I am fine with her being weaned, she is almost a year and she eats plenty. Thoughts?  and yay for a decent night. I do have to remember that she was waking up every two hours this summer...this is WAY better...

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 00:09:28 am »
I agree that's a pretty decent nights sleep.  I would try to repeat your routine and see if she does the same thing again.  If she repeats, I'd be temped to try w2s. 

Wrt feeds, yes, some Los start to self wean as they eat more proper meals during the day. 

Offline sarahabreu19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 14:10:03 pm »
So i think my LO is OT. She went to bed at 6:40 last night. I tried for earlier but we had some bathtub issues that delayed things. she went down easily, but didnt actually settle until closer to 7, which is WAY too much A time (1-7...) I had tried an afternoon CN around 345 because she was acting SO tired, and she almost settled down, but didnt end up sleeping at all.

So last night, she was up from 10-1130, just restless. I fed her, gave her meds etc. but she still didnt settle down. every little thing would reawaken her if she started to settle. then she slept until 530, ate, slept for about 10 minutes and was up for the day at 615...Mommy was NOT ready for that :) So much for her catching up on sleep at night. anyways, we went on a walk around 830 this morning and she fell sleep at some point and is still sleeping now (910). I figured I am going to do a two nap day today and hope that she can catch up on some of the sleep she has lost over the past two days. here's hoping for a better night!

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 00:08:21 am »
Oh, yes, 6 hrs of A time would be way too much. Wrt doing two naps, I think it's going to be pretty common to have two naps and then the odd day with only one nap as she transitions.  Def for short nap days, she will need two naps. 

OT can accumulate and lead to restless sleep (exactly what you are describing).  Hopefully if she can get a few good naps and then have a better night's sleep.  FX.

Offline sarahabreu19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 22:28:19 pm »
so last night was not great. She had only one good nap, by good i mean 1 hour. i was planning on putting her to bed early, but i had plans come up and couldn't find a babysitter, so she was up until 740. Another too long A time. last night was hard, as anticipated. she was up at 1 and at 4. the 1am waking wasn't bad, but the 4am lasted an hour. she alternated between being happy and crying and just moving around a lot. she slept until 7:30, but obviously didnt really sleep enough. I kept her up for 4.5 hours this morning and then.... she took a 2.5 hour nap!!! I literally don't remember the last time she has done that...probably not since she was 3 months old. so that was great. hoping for a 6:15/6:30 BT tonight (she woke up at 1:45) and a good night's sleep. It's so tricky to figure out her daytime naps when she doesn't sleep very long. but we'll keep at it.

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 23:35:57 pm »
Yay for a catch up nap!  It is tricky when they short nap.  If possible you can try to APOP a nap.  It's tri it at this age but sometimes you can get enough of a CN to get them to bt.  Fx that tonight goes well

Offline sarahabreu19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 23:37:38 pm »
she was asleep by 6. went down super easily. im hoping she is catching up on sleep and doesn't want to get up at 6! but we'll see...

Offline sarahabreu19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 18:12:52 pm »
So she slept until 445!! just about 11 hours straight. She ate, and slept until 6:30. She went down for a nap at 11, and slept until 1pm. I think we are on the right track. However, what to do about bedtime tonight? i don't really want her to go to bed at 5, or even 5:30pm. but does she need a catnap? she's already slept for 2 hours.

any suggestions on how to move her BT a bit later?

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 00:47:38 am »
If she's up at 1 pm I'd aim for a CN and try to keep bt around 7.  Even if she sleeps for only 20-30 min, it may be enough to get her to a "normal" bt. 

Yay for the good night!