Author Topic: Confused about the best way to balance solids and liquids  (Read 4390 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Confused about the best way to balance solids and liquids
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 06:38:15 am »
I never did extra feed. We just offered a sippy of water with the meal and BF every 4hrs or so.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 07:20:31 am »
Mine wouldn't have shut up screaming and demanding milk if I hadn't just given him an extra bottle after the solids (and I've read some similar threads but it's not every baby that's like that). It didn't last very long though.  I offered both a sippy of water and a bottle of water throughout the meal as he wasn't very good with the sippy and I wanted to ensure he got whatever fluid he needed.  I did find solids hard work and very time consuming in the early days though, my DS took to solids in a big way, immediately, so we were rapidly onto 3 meals and each one took 45 mins feeding time! It felt like all he did was eat and sleep because his entire A time was taken up with eating and I barely got him down for his nap fast enough. His A time also decreased slightly in those early days from the extra effort of eating, sitting up for that amount of time, using muscles he wasn't used to using, and the high stimulation of new experiences all made him tired before his regular A time was up.  We didn't really have any play time, well it felt that way, but remember that play is about experiences and eating is a new experience so it doesn't matter if there isn't much in the way of other play. Gradually he was less tired from eating and also ate faster. Although it was hard to keep up, I enjoyed every minute of it, such an amazing journey to take with your LO.
Not all babies take to solids in such a big way from 6 months though, it is also very normal to have just one solids meal per day for a while and for them to only take a few bites, totally normal. Just depends on your baby.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 18:31:39 pm »
Hi Regina,
Does is spitting up cause him any discomfort?- or just messy? If he is settled, sleeping well, gai mg weight but just a bit spitty then solids probably will help with that. Alternatively you can thicken feeds, or try infant gaviscon to help keep the milk down.

Given his age I personally would keep away from grains if possible. Things like pumpkin, sweet potato, pear, avocado are all gentle first foods. I you can, offer in the am too. I helps prevent night time issues if your LO is going to have an adverse reaction to a food.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Regina Phalange

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 22:30:56 pm »
Fingers crossed that he's not one of the few who will need more feeds!  ;D
ZacsMumme: I don't believe the spitting up causes him discomfort. There was one occasion where he seemed unwell, and would cry after spitting up, but that only lasted a day or two, and just as I was about to bring him in to the doctor, it subsided and went back to normal. He's been extra fussy lately, and there's been a lot of crying, but I think it's due to frustration with not being able to make his body do what he wants it to (moving around and manipulating toys), and a bit of boredom. But he doesn't react at all when he spits up. I don't think he even notices. We have another appointment with the doctor next week, so maybe I'll ask what he recommends. If we do this, I'll definitely keep it to gentle foods for a while. Certainly don't want to overdo it.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 00:43:33 am »
Sounds like he is doing well then :)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.