Author Topic: 5 month old swapping from BF to bottle feeds  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Sazzyb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old swapping from BF to bottle feeds
« on: September 19, 2013, 21:09:18 pm »
Hi, my LO is on 4hr breast fed EASY. (Sometimes 3 1/2 hrs)
Having 6 feeds (4/5am, 8/9am, 1pm, 4:30pm, 7pm 10:30)

She is having a dream feed at 10:30pm-11 but still waking at 4am-5am.
I have dropped the 1-2am feed for a few weeks now (using PU/PD), let that settle and have been trying to extend the wake ups from 3am to 4 and now 5am with the hope that we can drop the NF and start the day at WU (usually 6:30am). (I had previously been feeding in the night but she didn't want 'breakfast feed' and made EaSY tricky since reducing night feeds EASY and naps are much better)

Am I expecting too much too soon?
She feeds really quickly and last night fed at 5am and settles back really quickly and then slept in until 8am!
I'm fine to continue NF as its only once but I don't want to reinforce bad habits!
Should I stop NF? When is it an appropriate time to?

She also has formula once a week /evening feed when I'm at college and I've thought about giving her a 'big' 7oz bottle at 10:30pm to see if this helps her 'sleep through'

I'm also considering swapping to formula for a number of reasons really.

LO is 'gumming' really hard when teething, and I always thought I would only BF to 6months when I started,so have started to think about how to do this and how my body will cope (leaking engorgement)

She is a dream really but don't want to give her bad sleep habits and be on the boob forever.......

Any advice??

Thanks Sara

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 5 month old swapping from BF to bottle feeds
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:35:34 am »
Sounds like she is right on track. This FAQ demonstrates will that many BF babies will need a feed until closer to a year. Night Feeds and the Breast Fed Baby I wouldn't push her just yet.

If you want to stop breast feeding, have a look at this FAQ and see which approach you think would suit you best. Weaning Remember that if you wean before a year old your baby will need to move onto formula until then.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Sazzyb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 22:53:14 pm »
Thanks, the links are really useful and reassuring!!
I've been so confused about 'what's best' and feel pressured to stop Breastfeeding at 6months (from myself and other people) but it seems so easy and natural now!

also bit nervous about pending introduction of solids and how this will affect routine!

I've just read somewhere on here too that if I treat 'solid food' as an activity rather than an 'Eat' time for the time being  we can be more relaxed about it starting off!

I feel more chilled out and will start very gradually to wean one feed at a time. :-)

Thanks again!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 23:29:54 pm »
6mo is really just the point until which the WHO recommend exclusive BFing (I.e. no formula, solids or other drinks before) but they recommend BFing alongside solid food until 2yo or beyond. I think anyone pressuring you to stop is just misinformed probably.

If you are keen to continue then I would do it. I agree it is so much easier than preparing, cleaning and sterilising bottles. These threads may help "Breastfeeding for almost 6 months - What are the benefits of continuing?"
Reasons to be proud!

Yes, food until one is just for fun. Breast milk is their main nutrition until 12mo.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 19:09:19 pm »
I agree it is so much easier than preparing, cleaning and sterilising bottles.

It's less expensive, too ;)
*** Amanda ***