Author Topic: Reduce nap time for 9 month old?  (Read 861 times)

Offline BeeAnn

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:15 am »
My DD is 9 months and 1 week old.  And a mix of Angel / textbook.

Her routine is generally pretty good with an 11ish hour night, A time of 3 hours and two 1.5 (or 1 hr 20) naps.  However, I have noticed over the last few weeks that if she doesn't nap for as long during the day e.g. if we are out or a mid nap poo wakes her and we put her to bed slightly earlier then she will usually do a 12+ hour night (we wake her at seven).  She always used to be awful when she was OT (waking from a nap screaming) but I have found that lately she seems to be handling shorter naps a bit better too.

So my question is - do you think that it is time to try reducing her morning nap and increasing her A time in the morning / evening.  Her routine isn't exactly broken but I know we have to do it sometime and it may make her mornings a bit more consistent (at the moment she can wake any time between 6 and 6.45am and we usually leave her in her cot sucking her thumb until close to 7am (or if she starts getting more active).  her naps are probably ok 85% of the time though.

Was thinking of an EASY something along these lines:

7am Wake
10.15am Nap (for one hour)
11.15am Activity
2.15pm Nap (for 1.5 hours)
3.45pm Wake
6.45pm / 7pm bed

Does this look ok?  She has usually done A times that are equal in length during the day but I am guessing it should be a bit less after a shorter morning nap? 

In the next few weeks we are likely to have to go to my sister's house which is 40 mins away and I usually try to time it with her morning nap but she will always wake when we get there (one sleep cycle I guess!).  Do you think after that I should try to put her down slightly earlier than 2.15pm to prevent OT or see if she can manage 2.15pm?

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Reduce nap time for 9 month old?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 19:13:37 pm »
TBH IIWY I wouldn't change anything if she is sleeping 11h a night and is happy during the day.
The fact that she had a few times where she had less day sleep and then had a great night doesn't mean that when she does this every single day then it's going to work as well. She might accumulate OT, yk? You are anyway like a month away from the 2-1 transition starting so I would wait this one more month before changing stuff. But that's just my opinion.

In general when a baby does a short nap then he needs a short A time afterwards, but it's not right for all babies, it's something you'd need to try out and see.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/