Author Topic: Help needed to start Bottle feeding  (Read 1550 times)

Offline dappykat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:30:29 am »
Hi, I am trying to introduce bottle feeding in preparation of going back to work (and trying to fill him up a bit as interest in feeding is diminishing although he wants it more often just smaller quantities drunk etc, anyway)... it's not working very well though.  LO is 4 months next week, and from all I have read, it is a nightmare time and can totally agree on the disruption but that's another story!

I have tried pumped milk, formula, 5 types of bottle and teats, 2 flows for each teat, rubber, silicone, hot, cold, warm, just after he has breast fed, before he has fed and in the middle; during the day and during the night and the outcome from all of it is that he won't even close his mouth around the teat, let alone try and get any milk out.  He howls.  I have given him empty to play with, and some with a little in to see if when he puts it in his mouth to play in hope he will suddenly discover it etc, but so far to no avail.

Are there any magic answers apart from keep trying? 

He spits out dummies the same... I hope that someone out there can give me the magic gem of info needed to try and crack this! Thanks!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Help needed to start Bottle feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:41:13 am »
I will be honest and say I never managed it so gave up, but had the luxury of doing that with a year off work.  Have you seen this? Breastfed babies and bottles May be something there that you haven't tried?  Has anyone else offered a bottle when you aren't around?  Sometimes people have more success that way.  Good luck!

Offline dappykat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:55 am »
Thanks, yes, I just found it and will keep trying some of the ideas on there, and yes, Daddy has tried and even Gma, but not a hint of interest so far.  Thanks though.