Author Topic: 6 week old early night waking  (Read 1098 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
6 week old early night waking
« on: September 23, 2013, 03:46:11 am »
Ok, this one has my hubby and I flummoxed!  Our DS is 6 weeks old today and for the past 4 nights, with the exception of last night, he's waking up 30 minutes after we put him down at 7pm.  Prior to this he was sleeping really well.  He'd go down at 7pm, I would dream feed him at 10:00-10:30ish and then he'd wake sometime around 2, then 5 and up we get at 7.
The first two nights I was able to settle him and put him back to bed within 5-10mins maximum, tonight it took me almost 45minutes to settle him again and the other night he was up until 9 when I finally fed him and he passed out.  Good god!  The only difference I can think of was last night my husband put him to bed but he passed out quickly and then stayed asleep.  This feels like it's becoming a habit but he's so little, can it be? 
He's on a slight routine, we start and end the day at 7 and he doesn't sleep more than 2 hrs at a stretch during the day but I haven't implemented the full routine yet.  He's been napping poorly in the afternoons lately but that was happening before the early evening wake ups.  I've tried just placing my hand on his chest and reassuring him we're here, it's ok, he's only going to sleep etc. but that never works. 
I do wonder if it's gas, because he'll often do a little burp when I pick him up and this morning he did the milk projectile vomit on my front and then went straight to sleep for the morning nap. 
I've asked my midwives if it could be reflux but they don't think so because he's only fussing during the witching hour (late afternoon/ early evening).  He's still sleeping well at night, 3 hr stretches usually but this 30 min wake up is driving me mental!  Please advise!  :)

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 6 week old early night waking
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:46:15 am »
I usually found that with the witching hour, my dd needed another feed to really tank up before bt.  Also, most Los have a gs at around 6 weeks so have you tried feeding her?  If it lasts just a few days, it's probably just the gs.

Offline matisse22

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:54 am »
the nature of baby sleep starts to change at 6-8 weeks, so they need more help sleeping!  Up to this point, if they are tired, they just sleep, but now soothing starts to become necessary. What might be happening is that baby is waking after one sleep cycle (i think they are 30 minutes for newborns, moving over to more adult like cycles at 12 weeks). In any case, it's super important at this stage to watch for signs of being tired and get baby to bed before she becomes overtired. You are moving into "peak" newborn fussiness period (peaks at 8 weeks), so you should expect a good 1-2 hours of crying every night, and this will change at 12 weeks, at which point teaching to self-sooth becomes even more important as they start to really wake up! So start working on self-soothing by putting baby in the crib before she gets overtired. This will help condition baby to loving her crib (by 9 weeks, my daughter started asking for her crib when she was starting to get tired! it was amazing, compared to my first daughter who need my boob to self-sooth for 12 months!)