Author Topic: Want to switch to formula but baby refuses  (Read 1165 times)

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Want to switch to formula but baby refuses
« on: September 23, 2013, 16:43:29 pm »
My LO is 7mo. He doesn't like food (I've tried it all, now we're doing a few bites each day in hopes he finally sees that were not trying to poison him) my supply is getting lower and lower, I bf him each night but lately he's still hungry. I let him try for a few minutes in hopes of increasing supply but we both get frustrated. I give up and give him some frozen bm that I've expressed at work for his use at childcare. He will gobble it up and pass right out. He also still wakes twice or more at night. He's a terrible napper but gets enough sleep by taking several small naps a day. I'm ok with the night wakings but not the night feeding frustrations.

Should I try different formulas? With my last baby, my supply dwindled at this time too but we had no problems switching to formula.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Want to switch to formula but baby refuses
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 20:24:26 pm »
So what is he having right now? Expressed milk in the day and a breast feed at night only? Or how many times are you BFing in the day? Has he ever drunk formula? Have a look at these FAQs on getting a BF baby to take a bottle and let us know if you have any questions.
A bottle (or more!) a day…  Mixed breast and bottle feeding
Breastfed babies and bottles
If he will happily take expressed breast milk from a bottle then you may have success mixing an ounce of formula with the rest of the feed breast milk and gradually increase the formula and decrease the breast milk. He may just need to get used to the taste.

At 7mo solids are not a major part of the diet so I would not worry about quantities so much. Have you considered Baby Led Weaning? Maybe your LO would prefer feeding himself? Have a look at this FAQ and support thread if you are interested.
Baby-Led Weaning
Baby Led Weaning Support Thread #11
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Want to switch to formula but baby refuses
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 14:15:42 pm »
Thank you, I'll check them out.