Author Topic: NW and screaming  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
NW and screaming
« on: September 23, 2013, 22:57:56 pm »
He screams when I put him down! I'm literally holding him asleep right now and every time I put him down he screams!

I can't cope with this no sleep, I'm on my own with no help and I can't function properly!

I guess I'm going to have to keep trying to put him down, I hate that he just screams though!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

• Me and my boys ❤️
Re: NW and screaming
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 23:24:08 pm »
I thought my other post never worked but it turned out it did! Oops!

Anyway, after an hour of trying, I managed to put him down without screaming. He isn't asleep though so I'm not getting my hopes up :(

He's had the cold and a cough, I understand he's probably feeling a bit 'off' - I'm just struggling with the lack of sleep and screaming! It's now just before 12.30 and I've been up since 3.30am yesterday with him, minus a few minutes dozing on and off between 3.30-6.30 yesterday morning! I wish he would just sleep well one night :(

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 23:24:24 pm »
Hi Kelly :)

Can you please post what your routine looks like? Has the screaming started when he got sick?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 23:30:03 pm by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 13:27:27 pm »
I'm not sure if I should post in general sleep? Everything seems to have gone wrong now, even naps?!

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 13:39:00 pm »
He is defo OT :( I honestly don't have a routine right now because of EW's, NW's etc

Yesterday was a mess -

NW 3.30am - fed and back down
NW 5.15am - would not settle so took in bed with me. Tossed and turned until 6.30 when he dozed off.
WU 7.35
S 11.30:1.45 - we were out in the morning and he didn't sleep until we got home
BT 7pm - we were out again so couldn't do earlier BT
NW 11.20 - 12.30 - screaming when I put him down, eventually managed
NW - 4.15 - he self settled
WU - 6.00 - fed him lying down in my bad to see if he would sleep more and he fed/dozed until 7am
S 10.20:10.40 - after me trying to get him down for 40 minutes but he was screaming again
S 1.30 - me holding him/rocking him and lots of crying :(

He's still asleep in my arms now (2.40) but I have to get up to collect my other son from school! :(

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 17:56:12 pm »
How old is your LO Kelly?  I don't know if this will help because my DS is only 6 weeks but we do full swaddle and rest him between our legs (sitting in chair) on his side and then, gently, jiggle him back and forth with our legs while 'Shhhing' in his ear louder than he cries.  Obviously you hold his head but let it jiggle around a bit like Jello.  It doesn't work every time but it works 90% of the time which is pretty good since he's in purple cry phase right now.  Sometimes it takes 20 minutes, sometimes it takes 40 minutes but then he's out for 3-4 hrs.  Hope this helps! 

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 20:36:20 pm »
Thanks Laura :)

Well tonight started ok, bath and bedtime routine went well until I tried to put him in his cot and he screamed! I picked him up and he calmed down and when I tried to put him down again, he screamed. This happened about 10 times and then I decided not to pick him up. He kept standing up in his cot and I kept putting him down, all the while he was screaming and coughing, a few times I thought he might be sick!! I must have put him down about 30 times before he settled but he did :)

That was 2 hours ago so I'm praying he has a decent night! I need some sleep! It's 9.30pm so I'm off to try and rest before he wakes! xx

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 21:17:14 pm »
Kelly, between 10 and 12 months Was the hardest period for bt for F. He was ALWAYS standing up as soon that I put him down, and screamed if I tried to leave. It was developmental I think, possibly related to the ability of standing up. It lasted several weeks, but it was less intense after a while.
I don't remember what age exactly, but in Tracy's book she said pupd is reccommended only until a certain age (could be 8 mo?) and then you need to do only pd, like you did tonight. I also know that some mums used to lie down on the floor pretending to sleep , when the child was standing up at bt, and the kid, after a while, went to sleep. Never worked with F (too spirited) but is worth trying maybe.
Barbara

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 22:06:16 pm »
Also, this could be the start of the 2-1 transition - where if his morning nap is too long, he might be fighting the afternoon nap or if the afternoon nap is too late he might be fighting bedtime.

Have a look at this link for more info From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 00:56:21 am »
Hugs Kelly.  How is C's reflux?  Also does he still have food intolerances?  Just wondering if this is due to discomfort and being upright feels better than lying down. 

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 19:38:11 pm »
I think a lot of these issues are related to him having the cold. He settled well tonight and I'm sure it's because he was feeling a bit better.

I defo think part if it is 2:1 but with our daily routines changing and C going to his dads twice a week, it's been really hard to work on it :(

He had no NW's last night. When I got him down after his screaming at bt last night he slept until 6am. I heard him moan and cough at 1.30 and 4.50 but he self settled both times :D

I'm praying for another good night tonight because I really need to catch up on some sleep!

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 20:44:14 pm »
So glad he's on the mend.  Fx for STTN tonight.

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 22:03:25 pm »
Just had a NW - I tried to settle him with a cuddle and he screamed. I know I shouldn't but I nursed him and managed to get him down without crying. I got in bed and he screamed out but then stopped so I'm hoping he's gone back to sleep now!?

Praying for STTN now!

Offline PaulsMom

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 23:17:29 pm »
Vibes for STTN! 

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:27 am »
Hey love. Do you think teething could be part of the problem? If this has just started it could be developmental or food related :-\

Hugs
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.