Author Topic: 7 month old night wakings  (Read 7328 times)

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 7 month old night wakings
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 00:47:27 am »
I think considering that he's been sleeping so poorly and you want him to catch up on sleep, then probably best to leave him. He might not have a long afternoon nap though but I think as long as you do an earlier bedtime, that should be ok.

Definitely a step in the right direction though with the long nap - means he's been able to self settle through the yucky 30min mark ;D!

Good luck for the rest of the day :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Hellomama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 09:31:31 am »
He ended up waking at the 2hr mark anyway hehe then the pm nap was all messy but its ok, start fresh tomorrow like you said!

He's still crying right now since we put him down for bt, he's so tired, just sleep! Haha

Yea I was so happy with his naps today, so glad he is sleeping past 30m, he still seems cranky tho, but as you mentioned, he is catching up.

Will let you know how we go tonight!

Offline Layla

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2013, 23:36:28 pm »
How was your night?

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 00:31:21 am »
It was good! He cried for an hour before he fell asleep tho, but he didn't wake til 2:15, fed him, cried for 30m and I had to wake him at 6:30!

This morning I decided to try push him to 9:30, 3hr A, he cried from 9:08 and then he fell asleep at 9:23. I had to entertain him most of the morning but once he is use to it, it should be fine.

Do you cap naps? I know he's catching up so maybe for the next wk ill let him sleep as long as he wants? But is my aim for him to have 2 naps of 1.5-2hr? Anymore it may interfere with night? Or should I just let him set his own sleep and once it starts interfering with night, then I start capping?

Thx!

I'm so use to not sleeping that I'm having issues sleeping myself now, how ironic.

Offline Layla

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 03:39:19 am »
Awesome! Yes, I do cap naps. If J has a morning nap any longer than 1.5hrs, her afternoon nap is short so I don't let her sleep longer than 1.5hrs. I've only had to wake her though a handful of times as most of the time she wakes up exactly 1.5hrs later. The pm nap I let her sleep up to 2hrs... again, not common nap length but it does sometimes happen. Any more than 2hrs and then her bedtime is pushed and I don't like to cut her night short. I think night sleep is better in terms of catching up on sleep so an odd long nap here and there should be ok but if you see a pattern of too long nap and shorter night, that probably won't help because it will be a case of catching up during the day what he should be doing at night. You'll find the balance though :)

Be careful on pushing too much but since he has been doing 2.5ish anyway, I was going to suggest a gentle 15min push from tomorrow...which you have already done :P

Quote (selected)
I'm so use to not sleeping that I'm having issues sleeping myself now, how ironic
Haha...tell me about it!... but please make sure you're getting your rest too :-*

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 04:52:51 am »
DS woke at 1.5hrs anyway hehe saved me from capping his nap, I hate waking him up, it kills me haha! Do you sometimes let J sleep 2hrs in the pm coz its her last nap anyway or coz you find she is more tired in the pm as the day goes on?

How did you wean your girls off night feeds? My dietitian said to give him diluted formula so that eventually he won't wake up for it, is it ok to dilute formula?

Oh no DS woke after 55m for his pm nap, do you think it's coz I'm pushing him too much? I put him down but when he fell asleep it made it a 2hr55m A.

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2013, 09:52:09 am »
I was thinking.. Do I only work on one A at a time? Eg, leave all A at 2hr30m and only work on his AM A til its at 3hr, then move to the PM A and so on? Coz I've been working on all A across the day. If so, his AM A is usu the shortest, should I just work on that first or work on his PM A first?

Offline Layla

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2013, 11:41:29 am »
I would only work on 1 A at a time starting with the morning one first. The morning one is usually the shorter one so you could leave it at say 2.75 and work towards 3 hrs before pm nap. The last one is usually the easiest to stretch.

With regards to nap length, dd2 always had a shorter pm nap and it was ok for a while but then sometime around 9 months or so it started being a problem because she started refusing her pm nap altogether with the morning nap being just 1.5hrs so i switched it around and capped her morning nap 45mins and she would take a longer nap. Not saying you should cap the morning nap just yet but if you see that his afternoon nap is short regardless of increase in A time, that would be an option.

With regards to night feeds, dd1 started sleeping straight through without me needing to tweak anything or water her feed at around 9 months and dd2 around 11months but i did water her feed and eventually she stopped waking for it altogether.

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2013, 21:11:43 pm »
Ok I'll work on the first A.

Last night I had a few nw and a 5am start to the day. You suggested to put him down at 8:30 (A would be 3hr30m today) if this happens but with his nw do u think he's OT and maybe I should put him down at 7:30-7:45 instead?

Offline Layla

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2013, 22:33:10 pm »
No, don't put him down any earlier than 8.30am, otherwise there will be that loop of early to bed, early to bed and early rise. Try your best to put him down around 8:20am, in the hope that he will go down around 8:30am. How has been with settling down? On av, how long does it take him to fall asleep?

Sometimes the effects of overtiredness can linger on for a while but I would try and stick to the 8:30am nap time at the very earliest and perhaps don't let him sleep longer than 1.5hrs so that there is enough zzz left for him to take a good pm nap.

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2013, 23:25:37 pm »
It takes him 10m-1hr10m to fall asleep. I put him down at 7:25am but he didn't fall asleep til 8:20am anyway! He was so tired but kept fighting. So I guess in a way that kind of worked out. Yesterday his AM nap was 1.5hr and I freaked out when I got a 55m PM nap. I will def cap his nap today if he makes it to 1.5hr. Once we are back on track I think I'll do 2hr45m across the day as I think he might be ok with that, but my bt will be 17:45 if he only sleeps for 1.5hr each nap, still a little on the early side though. I'll see how we go, then ill work on the PM to get to 3hrs, what do you think?

Offline Layla

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2013, 03:47:01 am »
Since we're going down the path of set naps, I think sticking to around the same nap time would be better - the idea is to get his little internal clock used to sleep at around the same time and if he's fighting you, that could also be because he's not ready to sleep yet.

Have you been keeping a record of his sleep recently? Does it take him longer if you put him down earlier?

So I think if you can get him to stretch to 9am then hopefully his day will look something like this:
9-10.30 - morning nap
1.30-3pm - afternoon nap
6.30 - bedtime

The 8.30am morning nap is just to start off with - there is a little more stretching to be done to move his day forward and hopefully get rid of the early wakings!

How long was his morning nap today?

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2013, 10:17:14 am »
Ok I will def aim for 9am. From the schedule you wrote, his bt is 3hr30m A, would that be too much or is that normal for his age? If I can't quite get him to 3hr A yet then my days will be shorter and his bt would end up earlier, so ill just have to do ebt for a while yea? I have been recording his times but it seems random as to how long it takes him to go to sleep but ill have a proper look later as i have the in laws over atm.

His AM nap was actually 2hr20m, dh wanted to let him sleep, and then his PM nap was 1hr20m (probly short from his long AM nap), but so surprising, he usu fights bt big time but tonight he was asleep in 20m! Not only that fighter jets and fireworks shook my house and he slept thru it, with the help of white noise of course, wow.

Anyway will write again soon when I get a chance to look at my sleep log.

Offline Hellomama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 04:44:19 am »
I think your right, he fights more if I put him down early, anything under 2hr30m A he fights for close to an hr, anything between 2hr30m-2hr45m he fights for 35m or less. Today was a bit messy tho coz I got a 30m AM nap, but wknds are always tricky as we have to go out.

Last night was a first, the in laws were over so of course he fell asleep in 20m when usu he takes 1hr, so they think we make things up haha, but he slept for 9hr10m STRAIGHT!!!! WOW!! I've only had him sleep 7hrs straight once. Then he woke, fed him, took an hr to go back to sleep, he kept falling asleep then waking up crying, and then i had to wake him in the morning! Haha

Offline Layla

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 04:56:47 am »
9hrs10m straigh?!?!?! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:58:36 am by Layla »