Author Topic: Sudden decrease in breast milk production - baby not yet weaned  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Gabi1023

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sudden decrease in breast milk production - baby not yet weaned
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:27:34 am »
Hi, my wife has suddenly had a decrease in her breast milk production, which our 11 m/o eats 4 times/day.  We have a very small supply of frozen breast milk and our LO has not yet been weaned.  She eats puree veggies, fruits, and meats when not eating breast milk and she will also have little bites of our food when we eat.  We are at a loss because our LO wakes every morning around 2a-3a to feed and it has always been breast milk.  I fear we are in for a very difficult time ahead.  Can anyone give us some advice on how to best care for our LO in this situation.  THANK YOU

Offline Gabi1023

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Sudden decrease in breast milk production - baby not yet weaned
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:07:39 am »
...I should add that LO does not like other milks (soy, almond) and we think she may be lactose intolerant because we gave her some yogurt yesterday and she was crying and screaming throughout the day and at night as well.  We would like to be able to just feed her almond milk when she's hungry at 3am, but she won't have that.  Any help please

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 05:22:42 am »
How much is she eating in the way of solids? Is she having any fats - avocado, oils, etc.? Any finger foods?

What is her routine? 2-3am waking could be routine related too.

Keep in mind that milk production changes with the season (if its getting cooler there, volume of milk will be less because the water content will be lower as thirst is not such an issue as in summer) and also to a situation where milk is made as and when required rather than being stored in the breast.

Offline Gabi1023

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 15:53:31 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply.  Solids she eats about 15-17 oz per day.  99% of that is pureed fruits, vegetables, meats, pasta, rice. We have not been giving her avocado, not sure about oils maybe you can tell me what would be considered an oil?  She eats cereal like Kix and Cheerios as finger foods, also she takes small bites of a lot of the food we eat. 

Her routine today looked like this:

7am WAKE
745am EAT - BF
9:00 EAT - Puree Fruit w/banana 3.5 oz
10:30 EAT - Puree Fruit w/banana 3.5 oz
10:45 SLEEP
12p WAKE
12p EAT - BF
1:15 EAT - Puree vegetables 3.5 oz
2:15 EAT - Puree fruit 3.5 oz
3:40 SLEEP
5:40 WAKE
5:45 EAT - BF
7:30 EAT - Puree Vegetables - 4 oz
8:30 EAT - Puree Fruit 1.5 oz
9:15 EAT - BF
9:35 SLEEP
3:10a WAKE & BF
3:25 SLEEP
6:45 WAKE

In regards to changing of the season, that does make sense.  It has gotten much cooler here. 

Offline mommybear!

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 19:11:38 pm »
Lots of water of course can help.  Also red raspberry leaf tea can increase supply.  I also took Fenu-thyme for a cold and it ended up increasing my supply.  I would just get fenugreek not the thyme combo for increasing milk supply.  But of course check with your doctor.  They can be found at your local health store. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 20:42:06 pm »
I'm not sure what the recommendations are where you are but I know in the UK at least the advice is not to give any other milk as a drink other than breast milk or formula before 12mo.

What makes you think your wife has a lower supply now? Do you know of any reason why? Could it be due to her monthly cycles returning or sickness? Have you seen our FAQ on the subject?  "I'm worried I may have a low milk supply"

Oats and malt are great for supply too.

By oils I'm guessing pp meant olive oil or coconut oil for example that you might use to cook in or oily fish perhaps. These have fats, calories and fat solvable vitamins that babies need.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Gabi1023

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 21:23:42 pm »
The reason I think she has a lower supply is because she has said that she doesn't have as much milk as before.  She has been drinking more liquids including water with oats the past couple of days, so we will see if this helps.  If not we can definitely check in to those products that mommybear! mentioned.  It seems to make sense that the reason could be less liquid intake, so that is our first step. 

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 21:37:35 pm »
The reason I think she has a lower supply is because she has said that she doesn't have as much milk as before.
Sorry I meant what makes her think she has less milk than before? E.g. Is she pumping less, her breasts feel less full, LO is fussy at the breast as if still hungry etc. I only ask because as is better explained in the FAQ I linked above women often think they have less milk when really there are other reasons for the changes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 21:42:45 pm by *Ali* »

Offline Gabi1023

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 21:41:02 pm »
I see.  Yes, she says that her breasts feel less full and that she doesn't feel as much milk flowing when LO is eating, as before.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 21:43:26 pm »
Maybe it would help put her mind at rest to have a read through the FAQ.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 23:22:38 pm »
I see.  Yes, she says that her breasts feel less full and that she doesn't feel as much milk flowing when LO is eating, as before.

That is probably more about the change in the consistency of the milk rather than the amount... the amazing thing about Breast milk is that it changes over time to meet the needs of a developing child, so as they get older & drink things like water for hydration, the milk can be less hydrating etc.

I BF both my boys until 13 & 17mo respectively & I can say the "feel" changed a fair bit from time to time & certainly after 6mo I rarely ever felt full... yet I could still express plenty for DS1 when I was at work, so I knew that I was producing lots even though my breasts didn't feel like it. My understanding is that the body gets more efficient at producing on demand for older babies so while in a 3mo you can feel your are ready for a feed, in an older baby that goes 5+ hours between a night feed the body adjusts & also the baby gets more efficient, so what took 10mins in a 3mo can take 2 mins in a 9mo.

If that 2/3am feed is the worry, what I did around that same age with my DS2 was to say I wasn't going to feed at all... so the first day I think it took well over an hour to get him back to sleep, but it slowly moved to a 6am wake up (which sadly never really got later & around 4yo became earlier & hasn't really changed since, except he doesn't wake us up)

By 11mo you can pretty much say the waking is more habit than hunger & at 3am that comfort suck would be important because it is "special"
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Gabi1023

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 17:13:08 pm »
Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply... My wife did tell me that she is still producing enough milk for our LO, but I think it was her level of liquid intake that was causing the decrease, so she is conscious now about maintaining her intake of liquids. Thank you for the information on the changing consistency of the milk and the advice in regards to eliminating the 3am feed as well.  Much appreciated.