Author Topic: diarrhea after eating yam/sweet potato?  (Read 5784 times)

Offline amycyt

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
diarrhea after eating yam/sweet potato?
« on: September 25, 2013, 18:16:59 pm »
Hello, my LO is 7 months old.  Can someone tell me how diarrhea looks like?  How do I know if he is having a diarrhea or just too much poop?  Is it the frequency or how the poop looks like?

He used to poop every other day and recently started to poop once a day since eating more solids.  He has been eating yam/sweet potato(new food) along with some apple sauce and avocado (ate both before and no problem) for the past 2 days.  Yesterday he had 5 poops during the day.  Each poop was runnier than the last one but I wouldn't say it was watery.  And he didn't to be sick.  I stopped feeding yam at dinner and no more poop last night.  This morning he had another big poop but it looked like his normal poop.  So did he have a diarrhea or not?  Anyone experience this after baby eating yam?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: diarrhea after eating yam/sweet potato?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:59:36 am »
Did you ever figure it out?  Just bumping this up for you.

Offline amycyt

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:20:30 am »
Not really.  My Ped said it didn't sound like a diarrhea. He said diarrhea should be very very watery.  But it is also not normal to have 5 poops in a day for my LO.  But as long as he is happy and not sick, we shouldn't be worried about it.  If I want to find out if it was b/c of the yam he ate, I can try it again later and see if he poops frequently again.  Anyway, after that day when my LO had 5 poops, he had 3 the next day, then 2 the day after.  Now he is back to normal. 

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:33:53 am »
Hmm, if you run into any questions about it again, I'd probably post on the Food Allergies board - the ladies there are really knowledgeable about such things. :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 06:58:27 am »
Hi, agree that if you want to find out if it was the yam then to try him in yam again and see if he reacts in the same way. Good luck x

Offline amycyt

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • New to EASY
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 14:59:48 pm »
Yeah I did feed him the yam (but not a lot though) again this week and only 1 dirty diaper per day.  So maybe it was just a one off issue.  Thanks ladies!

btw how does a real diarrhea look like?  Would you definitely know if your LO has one?

Also I heard that many babies actually poop less frequently (constipation?) after starting solids.  Is that true?  So if my LO can poop more than when he was on formula only (from once 2-3 days to 1-2 days), it is a good thing?  Meaning his digest system handles food pretty well?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 21:05:06 pm »
Certain foods definitely bunged Olly up so we left them until he was older. Not sure about he other way TBH  ???