Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12  (Read 183162 times)

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Re: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 19:29:25 pm »
Funny you should mention breadsticks - I remembered we had some at lunch today and he had a good munch on them so will keep offering those. He was really enjoying cucumber sticks as well.  And thanks for the tip on celery.  I have given it to him before but I can't remember what he made of it!  It obviously wasn't a massive hit or I'd have got some more for him but will try him on it again :)

Good to know your lo went through phases of wanting to be fed as well.  I thought he was getting lazy and we were going backwards!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 19:36:42 pm »
Well, to be fair my LO mostly refused any kind of help with feeding, but yeah, he did have his little phases of wanting help.

Cucumber sounds like a good one for teething, nice and cooling.

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 19:49:54 pm »
Well, to be fair my LO mostly refused any kind of help with feeding

This sounds like jack usually!  I'm sure he'll be back to his usual self soon.

Offline torie2507

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:45 am »
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for BLW breakfasts.  I've been giving DS, now 7 months fruit or rusk mostly as breakfast time and would like to try and add a bit of variety

Offline mazzer70

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2014, 20:08:56 pm »
Hi there
I have read some confusing advice regarding baby led weaning and giving children wholemeal food and was wondering whether anyone could clarify for me please? 
What age is it okay to give babies wholemeal foods? Some people have said they gave white bread and white pasta instead but surely these still have the wheat content which is the bit that could cause the allergic reaction?  If it is not until aged one what are the other options for carbohydrates other than potatoes and rice?
Thank you
Marianne

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 21:21:59 pm »
we gave DS whole grain toast strips at that age, and never worried about it - I was unaware it was even an issue! And yes you are right that a person allergic to wheat, intolerant to gluten (as I am) or with celiac disease will react to ANY wheat, even trace amount. Gluten free oats (because usually oats are processed in the same factories as wheat, so may have trace amounts), rice, buckwheat, and quinoa do not contain gluten. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry much about it unless there is a family history of wheat allergy.
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 22:05:20 pm »
The issues with wholemeal, as I understand it, aren't about gluten/wheat, but about too much fibre for an immature digestive system.

If there is no family history of wheat/gluten related issues, fire away with white bread/pasta or be sparing with the amount of wholemeal (the odd slice here and there in the course of a balanced diet is most likely going to be ok).
*** Amanda ***

Offline creations

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2014, 22:25:12 pm »
The issues with wholemeal, as I understand it, aren't about gluten/wheat, but about too much fibre for an immature digestive system.
This.  The whole grain is too difficult for an immature gut to digest, plus whole grains are too filling which puts a risk on milk intake and milk is their primary food source.

That said, I gave mine whole meal bread in small amounts rather than buying a whole white loaf which wouldn't be eaten.  But I gave him other baked goods which were white not whole grain, bread sticks, crackers, naan bread, tortilla wraps, crumpets, home made pancakes, home made muffins (sugar free), white pasta...

Sweet potatoes are a great alternative, carbs but more nutritious than white potatoes.  yummy too :)
I also made oaty chews which are kind of like a flap jack but without any sugar, honey or syrup.

Offline cath~

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 09:09:47 am »
Hi everyone

I'm planning to start blw with H in a couple of months. 

Just wondering, did you start your LOs off in a high chair with a tray?  Or another way?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 09:36:31 am »
For us, DS's very very first tastes were sat on my knee.  Beyond that, yes a high chair with tray (ikea antilop) and a high chair at the dining table (baby dan, no tray).  tbh the chair with tray was more comfortable and convenient in the early days, I had it in the kitchen, he could watch me prepare food and it was quick for clean up having the sink right there to grab a cloth at the end of a meal etc.  But we only have a sort of breakfast bar in the kitchen so I was perching on a stool and not 100% comfortable.  I wanted him to learn to eat at the dining table which was more comfortable for me but less convenient as I had to carry everything through including cloth to wash the floor etc.  In both chairs I stuffed a rolled up towel behind him in the chair as he was so small.
Oh with the baby dan at the dining table I got one of those silicone roll out mats with a food catcher - waste of money - it was nice to have something to put the food onto rather than directly onto the varnished wood but a large place mat would have worked better.
Snacks were often on my knee or on the floor as we were usually at mum and baby groups - but that was much later.

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2014, 19:29:00 pm »
We had one of those chairs that straps to a dining room chair, but can also be put on the floor that has a little tray with it.  Lasted a good 2.5 years until she was happy to sit at the dining room table on a normal chair.  We put the food on the tray to start with, but put the chair up to the table with a plate without the tray as she got bigger.  It was a Fisher Price one.
*** Amanda ***

Offline cath~

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2014, 13:55:04 pm »
Thanks creations and Amanda :)

We have L's old high chair with a tray but it is huge (bought it online and didn't really quite how big it was until it arrived).  Thinking of getting something smaller this time.  I think we'll prob use the old HC with tray for a bit, while H is still little but when she can sit fine then move to something more compact which she can use at the table, either a booster or a HC without a tray.

Really looking fwd to starting blw with H :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2014, 19:12:29 pm »
when she can sit fine then move to something more compact which she can use at the table, either a booster or a HC without a tray.

That's exactly what I thought, too, as well as the booster being portable, so it got used for quite a few picnics and suchlike.
*** Amanda ***

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2014, 20:04:00 pm »
Hi, I've been doing BLW with DS from 6 months. He usually gets stuck into most things and really enjoys mealtimes. However, I gave been waiting for him to get the hang of actually swallowing bits of food. He is ingesting some bits but lots get chewed and pushed back out again. Am I expecting too much at 9 months?

Offline creations

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:04 am »
I think all babies 'take off' on eating solids when they are ready which is quite varied age wise between 6 - 12 months.  I know some LOs IRL who barely at a thing at 9 months (just a little puree or yoghurt with not a lot of interest) but by 11 or 12 months you couldn't stop them eating.
It's most likely that he hasn't learned yet to use his tongue in a different way for swallowing the food. Tongue thrust can be considered 'normal' until about 8yo I think.  Feeding solids and letting him learn how to manipulate that food in his mouth, bring it forwards and backwards etc is what is needed for him to learn the more mature tongue movements and eventually swallow more of the food - I believe one of the benefits of BLW is the exercise the tongue and mouth gain from manipulating (if not always swallowing) the food which helps the tongue develop the mature swallowing technique and can also help with speech development.
I would keep offering as you are and one day be amazed by how he suddenly comes on - it sounds like you are making some yummy food that he is really enjoying experimenting with :)

Just a thought - Has he been checked for tongue tie?  I would imagine it would have been picked up before now but I read for some it's solid food that is difficult?  It would be easy enough for your HV or GP to check just to rule it out.