Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12  (Read 183121 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning support thread #12
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2015, 17:57:47 pm »
Eggs here are lion marked (stamped with a logo) which shows the hens are free from salmonella.
http://www.lioneggfarms.co.uk/information/british-lion-quality/

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2015, 20:46:12 pm »
Oh wow...that's awesome!!!! I can't even begin to comment on the way things go over here 😠 I'd live off the grid totally and completely if I could.

[/url]

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2015, 14:23:04 pm »
Hey ladies. How is everyone doing? Just thought I would update on our progress. We are loving every minute of BLW. E has gotten so good at feeding herself, especially with her pincer grip. She eats quite a lot but makes it clear when she is done. She has porridge for breakfast with a variety of fruits( 2tbsp of oats with 2 oz breastmilk), various sautéed vegetables for lunch (cabbage/caulifower & potato/ spinach/fenugreek/pumpkin/lentils and many more) followed by fruit chunks/pudding. I have finally started an evening meal too. Took some ideas from Katherine's thread on protein rich foods and made nuggets with egg,broccoli, zucchini & cheese as well as salmon cutlets. She gobbled them up:p

I wanted to clear up a few doubts -- Firstly, Creations, you mentioned peanut butter being a good protein food -- is it fine even though it has salt & sugar? I have given E some and she likes it a lot.
Secondly, is cheese okay? Again, it is quite salty.
And lastly, E has suddenly gone from pooing once a day to 3-4 times a day. Could I be feeding her too much? I don't think I have but not sure how to explain all the poo:p She has been having papaya & pear, which I know can have a laxative effect, so could it be as simple as that?

1sttimer - how did it go with the eggs?

Offline creations

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2015, 18:45:11 pm »
Creations, you mentioned peanut butter being a good protein food -- is it fine even though it has salt & sugar? I have given E some and she likes it a lot.
Secondly, is cheese okay? Again, it is quite salty.
I was able to find a peanut butter which had no added sugar. I *think* it did have salt but tbh can't remember, and I don't have any in atm to go check the ingredients list.  There are such a range available, I would just read lots of jars and go for the best you can find for now.  I would be less bothered by a bit of sugar and salt when they are older so if the one you find is v expensive it could just be for now yk?  At this age I would only go for smooth nut butter and not the crunchy one. it's possible to make your own nut butters if you have a powerful whizzer.
WRT salt intake overall. You really do need to watch out at this age but yes cheese is fine, I can't imagine she'd eat so much as for it to be a problem. I had a general eye on salt across the day but if you are not using salt (or salty products such as soy sauce) in cooking and not using processed foods then really there is not much to watch for and whatever is in the cheese will be ok.  I occasionally used pre-pack foods such as canned tuna in oil, canned baked beans in tomato sauce, it's things like that you really need to watch for, small portion sizes and let that be a day where you really count up the salt. In the UK regular sliced bread is high in salt (higher than many other countries) so for me it would be watching out the food combinations such as tuna sandwich, or beans and toast which would be a double whammy.

Can't help on the poo - if it's all a decent kind of poo then I wouldn't worry. Mine went 5 or 6 times per day until he started putting them in the potty when he reduce to once per day. I believe he didn't like the feel of it in his nappy so let out a kind of pressure reliever and then stopped. As soon as he was cleaned up with a fresh nappy on he'd go again  ::) I can't tell you how glad I was when he started using the potty at 10 months!  One or possibly two poos per day was such a relief. He had a 'potty pause' for a full 6 wks and returned to the 5 or 7 poos per day in the nappy, it felt like a life time. Then started using the potty again and straight back to 1 or 2 poos. Unbelievable!  :P

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2015, 21:44:03 pm »
Haha. Never thought poo would ever hold such an important place on my mind: p thanks so much for the help. Not using salt/salty stuff otherwise, so I think it should be fine. I know there are less salty/no salt cheeses and all sorts of other baby friendly foods but no access in this city

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2015, 01:30:13 am »
The eggs went great! Once he got used to them he liked them.  Ut they also seemed to go with a few very rough nights so I stopped bc I wasn't sure if it was then eggs hurting his tummy or something else. I think I'm gonna try them again tomorrow. I've gotten more confident in ds ability to chew so we have tried lots of new stuff recently :)

[/url]

Offline creations

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2015, 09:16:32 am »
Sounds like fun with all the new things :)
Hope the egg trial goes well.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2015, 11:56:30 am »
Could either of you share a recipe for baked apple wedges? Wish we could get some more chatter going on in here.

Offline creations

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2015, 19:02:11 pm »
Sorry no recipe, I just chopped them and put them in the oven!  I sometimes added a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.

Offline 1stimer

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2015, 16:23:09 pm »
No recipe here. I'm still getting comfortable making stuff in the oven for ds. I can't seem to get the texture right...

[/url]

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2015, 12:45:47 pm »
Hello... popping in to get recipe ideas. Can't wait to do eggs, but we're on a strict dairy intro regiment and have to wait for it.
Does anyone make a big batch of anything that freezes and defrosts well?

What's this about a 10 month old using the potty!? Yes, please!

EDIT... Found the baby food recipes thread.  :D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 14:42:20 pm by ginger428 »

Offline creations

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2015, 18:18:21 pm »
Does anyone make a big batch of anything that freezes and defrosts well?
I made batches of things mainly for snacks as DS and I ate basically the same for main meals (which is one of the main aspects of BLW).
I made things like american/scotch pancakes (with fruit), bean or lentil burgers (with vegies), mini muffins (with fruit or veg instead of sugar) and oaty chews (with fruit no sugar, kind of like a flap jack). They all froze well, I interwove baking parchment between them before bagging so they didn't stick together and I could lift out however many I would need for a day or two, especially to take out and about.

have you heard of the no-egg-eggy-bread?  Whizz bananas and dip the bread in like you would with egg, then fry. It's yummy.

Tracy PT advice was to start at 9 months if you are interested here's some info, there's also a support thread for early PT and another for EC:
Tracy's Potty Training Advice
Toilet Training at 9 - 12 Months   Thread #4
Elimination Communication Thread - part 3

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2015, 05:43:28 am »
have you heard of the no-egg-eggy-bread?  Whizz bananas and dip the bread in like you would with egg, then fry. It's yummy.
And that's tomorrow's snack. What a yum idea

We have also started with the potty, ginger. Not very consistently as she sometimes beats me to it but yeah..

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2015, 23:05:17 pm »
Whizz bananas sound yummy. Creations-  Thanks for the links and tips!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2015, 11:01:25 am »
Hi ladies, we are just getting started as DD2has decided she doesn't want spoon fed. So we have been doing steamed veg, toast, omelette just not really sure what else to start out with. She gets quite frustrated when she cant eat much of it.

Also I have bought a piece of brisket I am going to slow cook (never done it before) so do I just pop it in with any veg and stock or should I not be using stock?

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl