Author Topic: Advice wanted- to eliminate or not?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline boyomum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 25, 2013, 17:03:29 pm »
Hi All,

I'm hoping to learn from your collective wisdom as I am new to the world of allergies!

I have a 3 month old daughter who has recently been diagnosed as having a milk allergy after going to the doctor with a bad ezcema outbreak on her head/ear/cheeks.  The doc did not do any kind of tests but made the diagnosis from seeing the ezcema. She is breastfed apart from one bottle of formula a day.  All diary has been eliminated from my diet for a week now.  I was told to put her on Neocate for her one bottle of formula but she hated it.  I tried mixing it with my milk etc but gave up after 2 days as she was so unhappy and she remains on her old hypo-allergenic formula.  The ezcema has improved but not gone.  There is also a new patch but much less serious.

Since birth she has always had tummy troubles with bad wind (farts) and stomach cramps but these have now calmed down considerably to the point that she hasn't had any cramps for 2 weeks and there is much less wind.  We have also just moved country (3 weeks ago) so she has had to cope with lots of change in terms of environment, climate, water etc etc.  The reason I started supplementing her with formula is that early on she had problems with weight gain.  While she is now gaining weight she is still skinny and on the small side hence my reluctance for her to skip bottles and feeds in the fight to get her to take the Neocate.  Otherwise in general she is a happy baby - just small, farty and with a flaky face but with endless smiles and curiosity!!

I am now trying to decide how seriously to take the allergy diagnosis.  I plan to stay on the elimination diet so the large majority of her diet is diary free but do I need to also get her off her bottle of formula (which I am reluctant to do because of the weight gain issues)?

So my questions are:

- my understanding is milk allergies is rare in breastfed babies.  How common is it for allergies to be misdiagnosed?  Ezcema can be due to variety of reasons, no? (and we have just moved country so there has been lots of new things she has been exposed to)  Her stomach issues had begun to calm down and it seemed like she was 'growing out' of them.  She has only been given formula in the last month to supplement and its introduction didn't seem to cause any exacerbation of her tummy and gas problems.

- is there a kind of sliding scale in terms of allergies where one is allergic but not v allergic so can tolerate a small amount of the thing you allergic to?  Could it be that she has a milk allergy but not a v severe one?

- if she has a milk allergy why is it that the ezcema has only developed now?  Is it explained as a delayed reaction?

- if the ezcema persists how long do people think I should give it before I act and persist in trying to eliminate the formula?  What if it persists but is getting better and under control rather than any worse?

I guess I am trying to work out the best path between juggling risks to her in terms of weight gain (if i eliminate the formula) Vs allergy exposure.  I would love to hear any thoughts, opinions, advice, experiences that people have.

Many thanks in advance

Offline roseola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Advice wanted- to eliminate or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 17:17:31 pm »
Following along, I'm just starting to eliminate dairy for wind and cramps only, no other symptoms....wondering too.
Nini

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 18:41:53 pm »
Hi and welcome to the BW forum,

To be honest, it sounds more like MPI and not an allergy as there is no vomiting, hives etc.

With MPI my feeling is about managing the symptoms it creates. If you have seen an improvement then fab! Continue as you are... Is it your gut feel that it is your diet that has helped?

On the other hand I do find it 'odd' that she is OK with the formula.  ???

Maybe you could try introducing some milk in your diet and seeing she can handle that?

Hth x

Offline boyomum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 00:41:12 am »
Many thanks for the reply, now have also been told that silent reflux is the problem.  Will keep experimenting!

Just wondering to your knowledge with MPI if you eliminate some but not all of the diary in their diet whether this can improve things or is it more often the case that total elimination is required.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:43:22 am »
I would start with totally eliminating it. Reflux can be a side effect of MPI, hopefully are getting some meds to help control it?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 07:20:16 am »
Hugs lovely.
Reflux is a symptom of MPI so this could be it manifesting in anther way rather than just via skin conditions YK?

Also wondering if you have been given something to help with her silent reflux pain?
I think to sounds like an intolerance too ;) I know you struggled with her taking the neocate, but I think if you try again and get her to take it over the other formula you may see more improvement with her other symptoms. My ds2 is on neocate, it is foul isn't it! ;) I got him to the it by adding some golden syrup to the bottle to sweeten it up - just to start with. An alternative is vanilla essence. :-\ what do you think?

Hugs
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 13:09:51 pm »
 I'm still following , I've been off dairy for about 4 days w no improvement.  :(

What is silent refux?
Nini

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 22:06:09 pm »
Nini here is a simple explanation of silent reflux.

http://www.silentinfantreflux.com/silent-infant-reflux/

But in my words... the milk along with acid comes part way up the eosophigus then back down and burns the throat - it's hard sometimes to 'know' what is going on as spit up is often minimal.

For my boys, the main clear symptoms were a dry cough, arching on the breast or crying out v distressed at random time particularly if on back and acid smelling breath or spit up :-*

I can be a problem on its own, or a symptom of an intolerance.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.