Author Topic: Infant with blood/mucous in stool - need input.  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Mjaz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Infant with blood/mucous in stool - need input.
« on: October 05, 2013, 01:16:47 am »
Hi

So my three week old continues to have blood and mucous in her stool.  She was tested for everything in the NICU and they sent us home with the diagnosis that she must have an allergy.I have been off dairy for two weeks, soy and dairy for one.  No change.

She has ZERO symptoms otherwise.  She is happy, content, breast feeding beautifully and gaining weight well.

Waiting to see a Pedi GI, but my pediatrician has already warned me that they are goi g to push formula and an endoscopy.  Yikes.

Thoughts?
Help?

Thanks,
Melinda
Melinda

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
Re: Infant with blood/mucous in stool - need input.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:25:48 am »
Hey Melinda. I didn't know you had another baby! Huge congrats!! :D

It can take quite a while for blood to clear after you drop the offending food from your diet. A couple of weeks, even. Over 50% of babies who have a dairy allergy also have a soy allergy so it could still be that you're seeing. Another thing to think about could be gluten. (Not that you want to drop something else!)

Hugs. I hope it clears up soon. I'm so glad she's not having any other symptoms. You're right to be wary of the formula idea....
*Kate*

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 01:34:17 am »
Hiiiiii Kate!
Yes, VERY unexpected little girl...congrats on #3 too!

I just thought I'd see SOME improvement by now?  I don't want to be pushed into formula, so I'm trying to go in Monday morning as informed as possible!
Melinda

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 01:44:28 am »
Yeah I'd expect some improvement at least. There's been no change at all? The GI appt is Monday? She's so young for it to be much other than an intolerance. But formula just isn't necessarily the right answer, although it's the one they always want to give since it's easier for them!

I know, I can't believe I'll be in the #3 camp soon enough!
*Kate*

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 14:28:22 pm »
No change! Yes, Monday.  I wish I knew what this was!  I really don't want to do formula :(
Melinda

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 16:12:28 pm »
Hmm. That is really odd! And you said they tested her for a bunch of stuff in the NICU? I don't blame you. I'd be totally against formula, too. Yuck. Well there's no reason you have to do whatever they say. It'll be interesting to see them and hear their suggestions anyhow.
*Kate*

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 21:24:11 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry to hear your 3 week old is poorly. So scary when they are so young. Great that she is fine in herself - and gaining weight! To me that says it is not an allergy. An intolerance is more likely but of course I guess there are a number of reasons for it  ???

Sorry I can't be of any more help but I think at 3 weeks old it is such an unknown.  :-\

xx

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 22:34:56 pm »
Thanks ladies.  So I'm freaking out.  After weeks of diapers where the blood was microscopic (once and awhile I could see a tiny dot of blood) today (just now, 5:45pm) she had a very bloody diaper.  I mean, I'm in tears.

Question:  how long between MY ingesting something, breastfeeding her and her having a BM?  The reason I ask is that at about noon today I had a Lara bar, which is like 100% cashews.  Have he's her twice since then.  Would it have gotten into my milk and into her that quickly!?

:(
M.
Melinda

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 00:30:33 am »
Oh no. :( Huge hugs. It's between 2 and 6 hours, I think, depending on what it is. I haven't heard of a nut sensitivity this early, or one manifesting this way, but I suppose it could be. Are you keeping a food diary?
*Kate*

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 00:44:30 am »
I know!  Me neither, but between peanut butter for breakfast and the Lara bar, I just wondered.  :(. Not sure if I should call doc on call or not.  What else could this be?!
Melinda

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 03:41:14 am »
Ugh, Melinda, I wish I knew!! You could call but if she's acting normally and eating ok, I might just hold on until Monday. But that's me, it certainly couldn't hurt to call. She's just so young that it's hard to come up with what this could be! :P
*Kate*

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:22:23 am »
Hugs Hun. I think you should take her to the hospital or dr when you can sweetie. I'd also take a photo of a bad diaper to show them. I'm sure she is going to be ok, but that much blood in the stools at this age should be thoroughly investigated IMO.

I agree it could be an intolerance, wheat is another one some LOs can't tolerate. here are some other possibilities http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bloodystool/ .  How settled is she? Wriggly and grunty?

So many hugs sweetie. And congrats on the new addition to your family :-*

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 13:45:33 pm »
Thanks.  She's fine.  Happy.  Eating.  I did take a photo.  GI at 8am tomorrow, so I think I'm going to wait.  She has had three dirty diapers since then with no blood.  So confusing.

Sara, she spent ten days in the NICU and was tested for everything!  (She was there for SVT, not related to blood in stool...but they thoroughly investigated that and discharged us saying it was a food intolerance).

:(
Melinda

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 18:49:56 pm »
Glad the blood has gone, could it have been a wee anal tear?

Poor wee doll. Hopefully she improves now, and you get some great advice from the GI.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 17:53:47 pm »
My dd would have very mucousy BMs with blood  :( She had MSPI (I finally worked out with an elimination diet) but the doc diagnosed and showed me she had anal fissures (a symptom of intolerances). The thing is they can take 6 weeks to heal  :o They also get them inside the intestine and can cause a lot of blood. My advice would be for you to go on a very bland elimination diet for a while (I know it is very hard!) I think mine was from the Dr Sears website, I only ate rice, turkey and carrots for ages if I remember right and then slowly added stuff back in. I must admit I am a bit puzzled your DD is happy though, mine was miserable, gassy and couldn't sleep! Go to the GI of course but the bland diet is a very good idea  ;)
Katt