Author Topic: Re: Do you know why babies wake up ar 5:30am?  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: Re: Do you know why babies wake up ar 5:30am?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 17:35:22 pm »
Hi Mariana, Congrats on the sleep through that's GREAT. I think your routine looks good but could you put it in EAS format it makes it easier to look at.  As for the rolling over that's a developmental thing. If you can give him as much practice during the day that always helps. Let him practice in the crib and on the floor. Is he swaddled when he rolls over? If not and he's just in a sleep sack etc. Let him try and work it out before you go in. If he's just whining, or mantra crying let him go because he may decide he likes it on his tummy but if he gets used to you rolling him back over he'll want you each time he wakes up like that.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Do you know why babies wake up ar 5:30am?
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 18:32:22 pm »
Thanks for your reply!
How the day looks today (mostly):
8 - WU and BF + formula
10:30  to 11:10: nap
11:10 - BF + formula
1:30  to 3:30: nap
3:30: BF + formula
5:30: formula
5:30 - 6: nap (sometimes he misses this one)
7: bath
7:30: BF + formula
8: bedtime

Not exactly like this, but mostly. Sometimes he takes a longer nap in the morning, sometimes he takes 1hr naps the whole day... But essencialy, that's it.
I give him plenty of time before I go in... I am just afraid of leaving him on his tummy if he doesn't know how to roll back. I mean, lately he's having reflux, so I get paranoid imagining him spitting up and not being able to roll back over. But this morning, for instance, he rolled to his tummy and fell asleep (so cute!), so after about 30 min he was asleep his dad went in and turned him back without him waking up.
I am really puzzled as to why he spends so much time awake in the night... He has learned to roll on his tummy three days ago, and he's been doing that for 2 weeks now...
tHANKS for yoiur help!

Mariana

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 19:23:42 pm »
Hi Mariana, on days he misses the CN are you putting him to bed earlier? That's a very long time from 3:30-8 for a 5 month old and the wakings could be because of being OT at bedtime?

As for tummy sleeping. It's a personal choice.  I know the recommendation is on the back.  From my personal experience my severe refluxed preferred to sleep on his tummy so when he could roll and roll back I just let him.  It's up to you whether you roll him back while he is sleeping but if he's not fussing on his tummy while he's awake I would just let him be, and lots of practice rolling back during the day. :)

**Siobhan**

Offline Lilo's mom

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 22:04:21 pm »
Yes, when he misses the catnap he goes to bed earlier, but I coulnt find any relation between not having the catnap and waking up alert in the middle of the night.
Look at what happened yesterday :
Wu 8
Nap 10:50 to 11:25
Nap 1:00 to 1:20, extended and got more 40 min until 3 pm
Nap 5:20 to 5:50
Bt 8:15
He slept through until 6 am, without waking to fuss.  :o At 6, he woke up because he was sleeping on his tummy and we decided to roll him- so he wake up. I fed him, put him back on his cot and he was there  quiet but not asleep until 7:15, when I started the day today.
So I was thinking. He had, in total, 12 hours of sleep yesterday. Maybe this is as much as he needs? Maybe if he sleeps more during the day he wakes up alert in the middle of the night because he is ut?
Not sure... Today he took 4 naps, 3x 30 min and 1x1h. So let's see how much time he needs tonight...
Any thoughts? ???
Thanks

Offline Lilo's mom

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 09:59:21 am »
Tonight he slept until 3,45, when I woke up, saw he was in his tummy and decided to roll him. He woke up so I fed him and put him down. He fussed a bit, turned on his tummy again, DH turned him again, and then he slept. So I am thinking my UT theory makes sense... What do you think?
Thanks!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 13:48:33 pm »
For the rolling, I think the recommendations depend on where you live in the world, and your comfort level.  Just confirming that he's not swaddled correct? You have two choices, you can ether leave him be on his tummy and let him sleep (my doc said once he could roll on his tummy to leave him be), or you can roll him back over but if he wakes you'll need to resettle him in the crib don't pick him up or feed him because then he may beging to expect that feed and start waking at that time every night.

Did he wake on his own at all last night or just when you rolled him? Typically Lo's his age need a total of 14-16hrs a day. Usually 2-3hrs of naps and 10.5-12hrs at night.

**Siobhan**