Author Topic: Cold lunch ideas for a 13month old  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
Cold lunch ideas for a 13month old
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:16:19 pm »
Well my DD has not been a good eater in a while but she is getting better. Now i am looking for healthy cold lunch ideas as sometimes i just dont have the time to make 2 hot meals a day or if we are out she doesn't want to wait until it is made.

I can't really get her to eat a sandwich, not sure if you have any magic ideas on how to encourage her to take one as that would be so handy now and again.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Cold lunch ideas for a 13month old
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:46 pm »
My daughter would eat a sandwich if it ws cut up TINY, like 10p piece sizes. She didn't really get the concept of biting chunks off a big sandwich.

Cold lunches here would be:
Cold baked beans straight out the tin
Cherry tomatoes
Cold sweetcorn
Toast fingers
Hard boiled egg
Bits of cut up ham
Bits of cut up cheese
All fruit
Avocado slices
Leftover dinner (served cold)

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 13:28:42 pm »
My LO didn't get into sandwiches until more recently, too awkward to handle, but would do an open/deconstructed sandwich - eg bread with hummus, cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes. Big fan of cold sweetcorn here too. Fruit and cheese or yoghurt? Things like savoury muffins, meatballs, veg pancakes, can be prepared in advance and frozen, then just pull out a couple to thaw in the morning.

I think our lunch at that age was most often dinner leftovers though, reheated in microwave if necessary.
*Nuala*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 20:43:42 pm »
I can't really get her to eat a sandwich, not sure if you have any magic ideas on how to encourage her to take one as that would be so handy now and again.
pitta bread with cheese inside (plus a thin spread of tom puree if you like, sliced tom, and other pizza like toppings but I found just cheese better in the early stages so it didn't fall apart or have surprise ingredients for him to find) then dry fry to melt the cheese, use a fish slice or fork to push down so it becomes very flat.  As it cools push down on it again.  You can make in advance to take out or use the next day if needed.  The idea is the cheese sticks the pitta together so the sandwich doesn't fall apart when they pick it up.  Can be cut in half, quarters or fingers.
I also do similar with tortilla wraps (I use the small ones)
I think these are where mine got the idea of eating sandwiches. It also helped to give white bread (which we never have), not much filling, cut into triangles and call them party food.

I made a lot of bean burgers at that age. Great for freezing and defrosting a few in the morning ready for lunch.
I made extra veg for dinner the night before too and just served cold straight form the fridge, he never minded.

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 22:17:38 pm »
We mostly do cold lunches - a range of stuff rotated and repeated really:

Pitta bread (lightly toast as it usally comes straight from the freezer buttered)
Deconstrcuted sandwiches - DD still isn't keen on a sandwich per say - so bread and butter, vegemite, cream cheese
Other stuff to with 'sandwich - cubes of cucumber, cheese (cubed, sticks or grated), turkey slices (squared), strips of carrot, small squares of chicken (usally left over from a roast of something similar), tuna (not a favourite here but worth a shot)

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Hope its of some help  :)