Author Topic: 13 month old won't drink much from bottle or sippy cup  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Aking

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
13 month old won't drink much from bottle or sippy cup
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:10:49 am »
Hi there,
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have been exclusively bf my LO since birth with a bottle numerous times but with breast milk.
He seemed to take the bottle when he was young well and as he got older he still took it well but I just offered it less as my husband was working and I didn't think it would cause issues to be honest.
Well, I have weaned my LO off all breast feedign in the day and now just nurse him morning and night. However, I have so much trouble getting any fluid in him throughout the day. I offer milk at 11ish as well at around 430 when he wakes from his second nap. Neither times he drinks much. Maybe a couple of ounces if I'm lucky. I try to offer him a regular cup as he seems to gulp more down this way, but still not a ton.
I'm worried about his fluid intake. He eats a lot of fruit and yogurt so he does get liquid that way, but I really do want to get him off BF now and I am concerned and unsure of how to do it. Do I offer a bottle/cup in morning and night still?
He doesn't love cow's milk. I have tried it cold, warm and also tried almond milk thinking maybe he just didn't like cow's milk. He does drink some, but it's a challenge.
I'm scared that when I cut out his morning and night that he won't drink at all!

I have tried several different cups with different nipples, straws, bottles both fast and slower flow. Nothing seems to make a difference. He has done the best with the straw I would say.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't even know how to wean properly or if there is a proper way. I'm just going with the flow really, but the flow aint working! haha.

Thanks!
AJK

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
Re: 13 month old won't drink much from bottle or sippy cup
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:35:08 am »
Have you tried a "doidy" cup?on my phone so cant link,sorry.
DD found that one easier than a regular open cup.x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 15:20:12 pm »
I would concentrate on getting him to drink water from whatever cup that he will to be honest. From 1 they only need 12-14oz of dairy to get their needs met and that doesn't have to be liquid milk, all the dairy in food counts. If he is getting plenty of dairy in his food and water with meals or inbetween meals any milk he takes will be a bonus.

Keep offering though he will get used to it and many toddlers only take a little bit to start and then learn to drink a decent amount.

I'm also going to move this over to eating for toddlers as you have a toddler on your hands now!

Laura

Offline Aking

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 17:55:12 pm »
I will try the cup. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes it's a struggle with water too but I'll keep going. How does one wean off morning and night? Do you just replace those feeds with a drink or just have breakfast as usual?
And any suggestions for stopping night time? I'm worried he will be hungry in the night.
Thanks
Ajk

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:55 am »
Hi
I dropped the BT bottle at 12 months and the morning bottle at 13 months.  BT bottle I switched to a supper snack and milk in a sippy cup and allowed for the reduction in milk, at that age it was ok for him to drop milk.  The morning bottle I switched to a straw and continues to be his big milk drink of the day, he now has it in a cup.  Here he gets his milk drink as soon as we get downstairs and breakfast is about an hour or so later.  There is no strict rule to how you do it.
This thread covers in more detail how I went about it and you can also follow Happy's wean in progress to see how smoothly and quickly it went:
morning bottle still needed?

hope it helps, ask away if you have any questions.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 18:50:44 pm »
Just following along. I just posted something very similar and then found your post. The only difference is that my LO has never had an issue drinking water. Like yours, he prefers a straw cup as well... hope we can sort this out soon!

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 07:33:24 am »
Momma.bear I am the EXACT same! Lol! Just posted something similar than came across this. Hope you all don't min me tagging along too! ❤❤