Author Topic: Set naps for 8 month old-anyone btdt?  (Read 4835 times)

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Re: Set naps for 8 month old-anyone btdt?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 20:47:20 pm »
Just reading your latest update reminded me of a similar UT/OT/ EW mess we got into with my daughter when she was 7.5 months.  She needed a longer A time to get a decent morning nap but was then doing 1hr 15/20 for her afternoon nap and waking up grumpy. We wwere then getting EWs at 5.30 am,  give or take 15-30 minutes. The answer for her,  in case it helps,  was actually to cut her morning A time by 15 minutes but keep her afternoon A time the same.

Just offering it up in case it's something you haven't tried but would like to?  Though I know sometimes too many opinions can be too confusing!  Just thought I'd mention it in case any of it made sense to you.  Not long after we got it sorted and figured out good A times for her we pretty much moved to set naps,  which worked well to us.  I was always flexible to some extent but would always wake her from her morning nap by a set time and if it took her a while to get to sleep,  I assumed she wasn't so tired and needed a shorter nap.  Then her afternoon nap was always at the same time pretty much. If I needed to I'd shift one or more naps or bedtime by 15 minutes but rarely more than that.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 21:22:38 pm »
Today:

Nap #1 9:30-10:30

Nap #2 2:00-2:36

Nap #3 4:45-5:15 (in car)

***any advice on when BT should be now?? How far can I push it without causing even more OT??

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 21:25:04 pm »
Thanks LLAJ! I'll try anything that works!
How much should I pull back on our first A?

I guess I won't be able to start that until he wakes at a 'normal' time! After looking at my past few EASYs, what would you suggest my As be for the day?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 21:57:28 pm by Mandy.kamal »

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 08:00:48 am »
Hmmm,  not sure - I am absolutely not an expert (you should see the number of threads I had open for lily at this age! Lots of NWs and EWs!) but looking back through them she was OT at first,  waking up from her second nap grumpy and doing 10-10.5 hour nights.  I started doing an EBT to stop her day getting too long (no longer than 12-12.5 hours) and cut her A times from 3 hrs 15-30 for both naps to 3 hrs before her first nap and 3 hrs 15 for her second.  She did mega naps though,  so we could easily do that on 2 naps a day. 

Then when she got over the EWs and OT,  she was ok for a bit and then the EWs came back cos she was getting too much daytime sleep (like,  3.5 - 4.25 hours)!  I had to extend A times again to where they'd been before pretty much, and cutting her day sleep to around 3 hours. 

Not sure if that really helps you except that the difference I found with the OT /UT EWs was that she would tack on for OT early wakes but not so much for UT early wakes. So I'd try and stick with the EBT of 6 at the latest (you might even need to go slightly earlier, to 5.30), and see if that gets a longer night so he's more rested the next day.  You could try that with your current A's first and if that doesn't help then maybe take 10-15 minutes off his A times, just for a bit to see if it helps.  If it doesn't then at least you've tried it???

Having said all that,  I don't want to offer conflicting advice so I offer it only as something else to try! If you want to do set naps though you're probably better off picking 2 nap times and sticking to them to set his body clock.  So it depends which way you want to go really.... (((hugs))) it's really tough trying to figure all this out.  We're in a mess again due to a cold throwing things off just as we were getting somewhere so I'm with you again in trying to figure out A times!

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 11:10:18 am »
Thank you for the advice LLAJ! It means a lot that you're taking the time to help me...I know you also have your hands full at the moment!

Ill do what you suggested and do shorter As and EBT to get over this OT issue. And then I will be able to work on set naps once he's caught back up in some sleep and more manageable.

I'll be gone all day/night so my husband will have DS...no telling what today will be like but I'll start fresh tomorrow ;)

I'm so sorry to here about J being sick and having to go back to the drawing board on As again :(

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 12:27:15 pm »
Yeah, might be worth a go...? Don't know if your DS is OT or not but it might be worth ruling it out at least?

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 20:26:32 pm »
My husband did amazing yesterday and got a 1.5 hour nap and 2 hour nap out of DS! I was so happy....and jealous haha ;)

But today he's done about the same! He took a 2 hour nap this morning and 1 hour this afternoon! He woke super grumpy and crying from the second nap but I can't complain! I pulled As back to 3 hrs and 3 hrs and 15 mins to help him overcome some OT. Working so far, just need to be careful about not letting him get too much day sleep.

I really hope this continues!

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 20:54:10 pm »
Oh Yay!  What a fab couple of days!  Fingers crossed it continues xxx

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 10:16:17 am »
The past 2 days have been wonderful....but still getting EWs! BT was 7:15 and he napped great yesterday and no NWs! But he still woke up at 5:00 this morning.

Any advice on why? I've read everything on the NWs FAQs forum.
It's making our days quite long...

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 10:55:54 am »
Mandy, if the morning nap is too long, it can cause early wakeups

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 10:58:31 am »
Oh dear....
What time should I cap the nap at then?

I was trying to let him catch up on sleep but it seems like anytime I make progress, I take more steps backwards :(

Offline Layla

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 11:16:01 am »
Its all about trial and error...i would try and not put him down until at least 9 am. You might have to slowly push by adding 15 mins every 3-4 days. If you're going down the long am/short pm schedule then the long morning nap could work but you have to be careful putting him down too early. Sorry i am on mob at the moment but i think there is a sticky in general sleep forum that has a post on ew and why you get them

hth

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 11:25:08 am »
Thanks Layla! I read that sticky this morning.
I haven't put him down for his first nap before 9:30 am...

I feel like I'm following all the rules and guidelines and he's still having EWs. I'm just panicked now because DST is in 2 weeks so that 5:00 am will soon be 4:00 am!!!! Ugh!

The past couple days have been 13+ hours long which I know is wrong but he's napped so well and I'm trying to get BT later (without going over 3 hours for last A time) but that's not working obviously..

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 14:49:26 pm »
He was a fussy mess this morning so I couldn't wait until 9:30 am like I had been doing. I put him down at 9:10 and woke him at 10:40....hopefully that'll help!

Second nap, he woke after 30 mins but resettled. He woke after another 30 minutes but was crying and upset. He's not well rested so I'm unsure what time to do BT.

How long of an A can I do before bedtime?? I want to make sure he's fully tired before bed but not overtired! Is 3.5 probably the longest I should do?

I'm not sure cutting his am nap short was a good idea ???
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 19:30:54 pm by Mandy.kamal »

Offline Layla

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 23:21:30 pm »
Yep, probably 3.5hrs would be the longest.

Have you ruled out hunger at 5am? Could he be genuinely hungry? Have you tried feeding him and then back to bed?