Author Topic: when did you know it was mpi? More help needed please  (Read 20123 times)

Offline babybarr

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: when did you know it was mpi? More help needed please
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2013, 18:35:35 pm »
DS1 ended up on omeprazole after rantidine and soya milk (we never tried hypo formula properly) this was at 7mths :(

Two crying babies at once and unsettledness is NOT fun and I need help, something has to give I just don't know what.
LAURA xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2013, 23:10:01 pm »
Deep breaths sweetie. One hour at a time ok :-* I know it's so so tough! and two must be just impossible some days. You will get through this though. You will.

What does your gut tell you? Pain? Or just spilly? IMO if after the spit ups they are unsettled, ad they are showing reflux symptoms lie, hiccups, poking out their tongues and their spit up smells like acid. I think you want to go for PPI trial if your dr will give you one. With t I knew at 3 weeks something was wrong. I could smell the acid.

If you don't think reflux is the issue (acid reflux anyway) then maybe you want to push for the neocate first incase it's allergy related. OR see if you can get a thickener to keep the milk down. From your post it sounds like they are  unsettled too though, it's not just spit up right?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2013, 23:29:58 pm »
Just a wee hijack...poking out there tongues is a sign of reflux??? Oh dear.

And back to you Laura...lots of hugs, as you can tell from my first comment I am out of my element with reflux that is not caused by mpi.
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2013, 23:59:54 pm »
Heidi, only when accompanied by other symptoms. But yes when very little constant tongue poking or almost like lip licking is a sign. So is a dry cough...full list here though I noticed tounge poking isnt on it - both my boys did it a lot and my dr and pead commented though :-*
Reflux checklist for parents and Drs
***Sara***

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2013, 03:32:49 am »
Thanks Sara!
Heidi

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2013, 06:35:55 am »
Our lo was on omeprazole and neocate with gaviscon. After 3 months on neocate we stopped the reflux meds and then couple months after that we stopped the gaviscon. How old are your baboes again? I think solids helped a bit with the reflux too but if they're still too young thats not really an option.

Offline babybarr

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2013, 09:55:17 am »
I am out of my element with reflux that is not caused by mpi.
You see this is what I am wondering... whether the reflux is "just" caused by the mpi iyswim?  So if we were to switch to something with NO milk protein whether the reflux would go - is this even a possibility ???

They def are refluxing and it's causing them discomfort - witnessed that first hand at nappy changing last night but again what is the cause or is it actually reflux.  J will often aspirate too esp when feeding, and H's breathing monitor will go off so I wonder if that's to do with it coming back up during his sleep.

Our lo was on omeprazole and neocate with gaviscon
I'm fairly sure we'll have to see a paed rather than GP for omeprazole - yes?  That's what DS1 was on - pita to get into them though ::)  I think the gp would only prescribe ranitidine which we never found to be very good

They're just shy of 6weeks so solids def not an option!

Been up again since 4.30am, I don't understand why that feed causes *so* many problems. :(  They both fell back to sleep when on me, just I had to do one at a time.  DH already gets up twice with feeding and he has to work so he can't really help with that too.
LAURA xx

Offline pinkladyangel

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2013, 11:24:44 am »
Big hugs babybarr. you're doing great. Have you been referred to a paediatrician yet? If not ask to be. We had to wait 2 months for an appt. Not sure what .gps can or cant prescribe so cant help there sorry. Omeprazole definitely helped with silent reflux. Just didnt take tummy cramps away.

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2013, 13:25:25 pm »
If it is caused by mpi, then yes, getting rid of all traces of dairy should clear it up. E has done much better since I cut dairy (and beef) but now she is all drooly, sticking her tongus out, sicking up nasty smelling spit up (yet she has sweet breath go figure), having awfuldays....but sleeps at night completely flat no complaints. These kids sure dont make it easy to figure out the issues!
Heidi

Offline babybarr

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2013, 14:25:06 pm »
O used to sleep thru even though his reflux was bad. It's from exhaustion I think. It's just now he doesn't sleep!

Wwyd try the other formula without milk protein or go straight to reflux meds?
LAURA xx

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2013, 14:48:26 pm »
If your gp can get the neocate quicker than a referral to a paed for meds I would sure be tempted to try it. How long have they been on their current stuff?
Heidi

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2013, 18:06:04 pm »
O used to sleep thru even though his reflux was bad. It's from exhaustion I think. It's just now he doesn't sleep!
^^ this was Zac too! Exhaustion .. He would STTN 10 hrs at 8-14 weeks and  wake starving ::)

If your gp can get the neocate quicker than a referral to a paed for meds I would sure be tempted to try it. How long have they been on their current stuff?
Yup I agree...go the road with the shortest journey. And get onto a waiting list for a pead. So if you can get neocate just try it. It can only help, or do nothing YK?

How are their poos? Zs poos were always fine - he just had reflux
Ts poos were not. He has Mspi

Re omeprazole it's not to bad to administer. t was on it from 6 wks mad I'm it's poured the granules into his mouth and washed down with a syringe of water. Lots of people have success with a bit of pear purée though ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 18:07:58 pm by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***

Offline babybarr

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2013, 22:14:03 pm »
They are both constipated. Not sure if that's Gaviscon though? H has pretty much always been constipated j not so much. The reason I'm cautious about changing formula again as this would be the 6th time. They've been on the nutramigen 10days now. They can't sleep during the day now. Last wkend after changing on the thurs I had 2 fairly easy babies. Now I'm tearing my hair out although the screaming is less they can't sleep. My gp could prescribe ranitidine as they did with o. His omeprazole we gave in a syringe never thought to put granules straight in the mouth!
LAURA xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:15 am »
Go with your gut, given so many changes I think I would stick with the nut then, give it a good month and maybe trial reflux meds ...

Yeah...I just poured the open capsule into Ts mouth because he couldn't tolerate pear ::) into side of his cheek or onto his tounge then syringed cooled boiled water slowly till they went down. Pita BUT much more effective than suspension.
***Sara***

Offline babybarr

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2013, 09:04:43 am »
They just won't sleep in the day. Do you think that's all related? Last wkend after changing to nutramigen they'd fall asleep easily in the swing and j even randomly fell asleep on the floor! Now it's a constant battle. Apop doesn't work plus I can't spend an hr in every 3 (after nearly an hr feeding) tryin to get them to sleep. I don't know what to do?

Sara I think my gut is saying to change the formula but I feel uneasy because there's been so many. I feel like with both the pepti andnnow this we saw quite a big change quite quickly and then everything regresses. The difficulty now is them being sick which they weren't before.
LAURA xx