Author Topic: Books for 3 - 4 year olds  (Read 8104 times)

Offline speechie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
Re: Books for 3 - 4 year olds
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 00:55:04 am »
The Frog And Toad books,
Jenny Linsky stories by Esther Averill are read aloud books
Nonfiction National Geographic kids books
Richard Scarry books!
Anatole books
Mudge books
Tacky the penguin books
The gingerbread baby by Jann Brett
We also read a lot of OLD books from second hand stores , cool old stories.
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 06:32:08 am »
DS is really loving pop-up books right now  :)

He can use them easily and be trusted not to break them at this stage  ;)

He's also into a 'noisy' chuggington book he got ages ago where there are different buttons to press at the bottom of the book as you follow the story..

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 06:45:43 am »
The enormous crocodile (Dahl) is definitely for the older end. It's not a chapter book but is a LONG picture book so could easily go over 2-3 nights.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:23:16 am by anna* »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:32 am »
The enormous crocodile (amongst others) is listed as an age 3+ on redhousebooks (Thebookpeople).
Ali there's a 15 book box set just now for £15.99 (saving £82) if you wanted to stock up for when the boys are older.  I've just ordered it as I figure he will ready for them at some point if not just yet and they don't always have those lovely box sets.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:18 am »
That's the set that got us started on chapter books! Definitely more suitable for the over 5s.

I am not keen on the portrayal of women and what they are allowed to do in the Richard Pcarry book we were given (can 'only' be hairdressers or secretaries or stay at home - nothing wrong with any of those, but I am bringing up a boy and want him to expect women and men to be able to do any job they want) so we have a copy of What do people do all day?  going spare.

What about the usborne beginners books for a start on factual info? Lovely big pictures and short explanations. We have several plus the encyclopedia, which DS adores. I think as they start reading they can puzzle a lot out themselves, but we first got a couple about sharks and the seashore when DS got into Octonauts at around three.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 13:31:41 pm »
Ah yes, I see some age 3 and some 8. I never realised that. That is a great set. Shame the crocodile book isn't in there.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 18:40:16 pm »
What about the usborne beginners books for a start on factual info? Lovely big pictures and short explanations. We have several plus the encyclopedia, which DS adores.

Think I might start getting some of these. The Atlas one looks great for pre-schoolers (just found on Amazon). Olly takes in so much more than I realise and I don't think I push him enough so something like this that is aimed at his age would really teach him a lot I think.

LOADS of mileage out of You Choose
We've had this for several months now (from around 2.5yo) and DS loves it, I can see it will continue to be a fav after he turns 3 too.

Got this from the library today. Was dubious as not a story book but WOW. We must have spent ages living out the 'where do you want to go today' page! We had to get 'in' his red and yellow balloon - he would pump it up - then we went to each of the  places. We had a picnic in the forest, made sand castles on the beach, found his home in the city, went swimming in the lake. I was totally and utterly amazed that this book could trigger such an imagination in him. I don't think I will forget today in a long time  ;D Such a proud mummy moment  ;D

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 19:02:01 pm »
I have also never heard of the Gruffalo until reading this thread :) Must make a note to pick it up. My son is literally obsessed with Going on a bear hunt by Michael Rosen, knows the whole thing by heart..there is a youtube video with the book and an action play that he does almost everywhere. He also loves Wheres Waldo,  fables like the Lion and the Mouse and some children's fairy tales such as Gingerbread baby, the Sweet Little Wolf. There were a couple of storybooks without words that were a big hit..one was called the Crocodile Blues.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 07:41:18 am »
We bough "You choose" last year for DS and it has been looked at all of once.  ???  DH and I really disliked it too....maybe we are missing something???  Once the stickers are down there is nowhere to put them if you want to take them up and change things on the scene pages, if that makes sense. The other pages he finds a bit blah....fun to look at but not a story for him. Maybe I should get it out again and see if we can make it more appealing.

Another loved story here is called "Pete the Cat" ... a cat with white shoes who steps in different messes which turn his shoes all different colours.  Very cute.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 08:00:47 am »
I think most of our favourites have already been mentioned!

I love reading the books I used to read when I was little:

Alfie and anything else by Shirley Hughes (esp Dogger)
The Tiger who came to Tea
Victor and Maria
The boy who was followed home (not quite as sinister as it sounds..)
Beatrix Potter (esp Mrs Tiggywinkle, Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck, Jeremy Fisher - we got a lovely box set of them all really cheap from The Book People before L was born!)

I love books that the kids resonate with-so ben has loved the alfie books and the Sarah garland ones are about real life activities like doing the washing or the gardening, but in a lovely way. Oh, and I like the way that both authors have pictures of untidy, realistic homes! It always makes me feel better  ;)
Yes - this is exactly why Shirley Hughes is so popular with us too.  L loves all the little details like saying exactly how Alfie and Annie Rose each get down the stairs in the morning (Alfie - forwards holding the bannister, Annie Rose - backwards, feet first).  And the messy houses are great ;) Haven't read any Sarah Garland so must have a look for those.

We also have an old Usborne Childrens Encyclopedia which L likes dipping into on occasion.  Some of the the technology stuff is quite out of date now(!), and of course lots of the book is beyond her for now, but she loves reading about the seasons, the life-cycle of the frog and things like that.  I just pick something she might be interested in and we talk about it.  She likes looking at the maps in there too and I tell her about the different places.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 10:01:54 am »
We bough "You choose" last year for DS and it has been looked at all of once.  ???  DH and I really disliked it too....maybe we are missing something???
Mashi I think you have a different book, the You Choose mentioned doesn't have stickers.  I see on amazon there is a You Choose colouring and stickers book, perhaps that is the one you have?  The one I have (and I guess others on the thread who have found it so good) has no colouring or stickers pages at all, minimal text but lots of pictures to explore and talk about.  I personally don't find the pictures much to my liking and didn't choose this book myself, Nana arrived with it one day and I thought it looked a bit grim - but when you see how fascinated kids are by it, well suddenly you love it too!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Choose-Pippa-Goodhart/dp/0552547085/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381917375&sr=8-1&keywords=You+Choose

Buttonbobs, thanks for sharing your You Choose story :)  Sounds wonderful!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 10:44:14 am »
That is the one I have :) There are 3 "scene" pages that are included, with about 100 stickers that go with it.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 11:22:43 am »
Maybe it's better without the stickers then.  Mine didn't come with stickers or anything stuck in.

Cat in the Hat Young Readers Collection arrived and looks fab. I know DS would enjoy these now (to be read to him I mean) and I'm sure they'll be a hit when he turns 3.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 12:00:17 pm »
Some more ideas:

Have you seen the Jez Alborough's 'Duck' books?  Duck in a Truck, Fix-it Duck etc. Really great. 

We love 'Moon Rabbit' and 'Brown Rabbit in the City' by Natalie Russell. LO1 apparently *is* a bunny right now.  Beatrix Potter, Shirley Hughes. The Little Red Tractor Books. We found a Lars the Polar Bear book in a second-hand shop and LO loved it. (Had to open the front door at breakfast time to let Lars and his friend Hugo in..!).

Quentin Blake's Mrs Armitage books are hilarious for everyone reading them.

*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 14:10:24 pm »
Oh yes, we love the Duck books too! Plus we have another one of his called Hello Beaky which is gorgeous.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015