Author Topic: What do you do with your month old ALL day?  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
What do you do with your month old ALL day?
« on: October 11, 2013, 14:04:03 pm »
Ok so from today i am now off on holiday for just over 2 weeks and i have no idea what to do with the DD all day, the weather is rotten so the park and walks are out. Even suggestions for fun activities to do in the house would be appreciated.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: What do you do with your month old ALL day?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 16:52:02 pm »
Are there any mom and tot groups you can go to?  Or public swimming?  We have a drop in centre which is great because it is just a change of scenery and DS can play with other kids and different toys than what we have at home.  DS also LOVES swimming and the public swims are really cheap so that's a fun activity to do (and also wears them right out for a good looooong nap!).

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 18:48:12 pm »
The local library often has a rhyme time and a toddler tales story time, if you are within travelling distance of more than one library you will have more options of what day to go.  I found I always needed to go out at least once in the day, even if it was just a trip to the local corner shop to buy a bottle of milk. Is she walking?  If she is it's a great time to start shopping 'training' just go for one item, let her walk around the shop and get used to looking and even touching some safe things under close supervision whilst you do not need to buy anything.  Maybe buy a tub of blueberries or something for her to carry and pop on the check out, then eat them when you get home. Honestly my single item shopping trips with DS were well worth it. With no stresses and the shops quiet because most people are at work etc.
Trips to:
electrical appliances shop (to be amazed by washing machines and vacuum cleaners!)
pet shop (to look at hamsters and live crickets etc in tubs, fish etc)
garden centre if you have an indoor one nearby
fabric shop
...basically at that age they just love having the time to look at everything, it's all new and exciting. Clean her hands so you don't worry about her touching things and the experience becomes even more amazing to LOs

at home
building blocks
reading books
play doh
sing songs
make home made musical instruments (pasta or rice in seal tubs, pan lid symbols, pan drum with wooden spoon) and start a band!
'painting' with jelly, yoghurt, ketchup, mayo, gravy - either dip fingers/hands into tubs then paint/print onto paper or just spread some on a baking tray and let her make marks in it with fingers or brushes/sticks - all safe if she eats it
messy play - can of spaghetti emptied into a big tub or the bath and let her go wild in it! same pack of cornflakes or rice crispies for a crunchy experience
peek a boo and hide and seek are good games for any age and really help with any separation anxiety as they learn things/people are coming back.  For hide and seek hide yourself in view first.  Use a toy or teddy to 'hide' in view and just get her to look around the room for it, then half hide it if she is ready for the next level.  Lots of fun!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 20:13:52 pm »
Roadworks were a great hit at that age, seriously! We could get a good hour out of walking there, watching the digger etc and then walking back.

I think a couple of weeks off is a great excuse to slow down to her pace and just explore the world with her. Have you any conker trees or blackberry bushes nearby you can investigate, for example?
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 23:32:35 pm »
The local library often has a rhyme time and a toddler tales story time
Our library has a rhyme time class so I agree this is a good option.  If not, sometimes we just go to the library and I let him take books off the shelves and look through them and put them back.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:29:39 am »
sometimes we just go to the library and I let him take books off the shelves and look through them and put them back.
Actually even though I suggested it, mine didn't enjoy rhyme time until he was older and even then it had limited appeal - but I do see other babies LOVE it, depends on character I suppose.

Roadworks were a great hit at that age,
Here too. Our road was resurfaced and provided weeks of enjoyment, we just walked down the street and watched.  If the weather is awful you can even drive to some road works, park up and snuggle together in the car whilst you watch, or find a cafe with a view.
In fact mine always loved going out to eat too - just a sandwich somewhere, even a supermarket cafe, he loved people watching and the whole occasion of sitting to eat in a cafe/restaurant.

DIY shops are another good trip out - looking at the power tools, lawn mowers, all the different coloured paints and wall papers.  And it's indoors so good for bad weather.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 07:57:13 am »
You're in Scotland, the weather is NOT rotten  ;D

Just changing a lot  ::)

I would not be put off by it and gear up, wouldn't be able to stay in all day, we would go stir crazy.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 08:05:45 am »
We just put wellies and waterproofs on and go puddle jumping or to the local farm park! My LO loves getting wet and messy (joy)
Also tractor/digger/bus watching we love too x
Zoe

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:20:54 am »
I can relate to bad weather making outdoor trips tricky. At that age DS couldn't walk in wellies and I hadn't found a reasonably price puddle suit or ski suit etc.  Even the following winter (approaching age 2) he wouldn't wear wellies, ski boots yes but they were not 100% waterproof like wellies are.
I do agree getting out is worth while on any day you possibly can though, even just a walk down your own street and back.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 16:46:37 pm »
The local library often has a rhyme time and a toddler tales story time,

We tried that a couple of times but it is mobbed so you cant always get in. All the CM's take the kids there.

Is she walking?  If she is it's a great time to start shopping 'training' just go for one item, let her walk around the shop and get used to looking and even touching some safe things under close supervision whilst you do not need to buy anything. 

What a great idea, she is walking miss independant wants to do it all by herself and not hold my hand, she also grabs anything she can get her hands on, so that will be fun!

pet shop (to look at hamsters and live crickets etc in tubs, fish etc)

We have 2 bearded dragons so we always have tubs of live crickets around, but she likes the bunny rabbits.

make home made musical instruments (pasta or rice in seal tubs, pan lid symbols, pan drum with wooden spoon) and start a band!
'painting' with jelly, yoghurt, ketchup, mayo, gravy - either dip fingers/hands into tubs then paint/print onto paper or just spread some on a baking tray and let her make marks in it with fingers or brushes/sticks - all safe if she eats it
messy play - can of spaghetti emptied into a big tub or the bath and let her go wild in it! same pack of cornflakes or rice crispies for a crunchy experience
peek a boo and hide and seek are good games for any age and really help with any separation anxiety as they learn things/people are coming back.  For hide and seek hide yourself in view first.  Use a toy or teddy to 'hide' in view and just get her to look around the room for it, then half hide it if she is ready for the next level.  Lots of fun!

Your house sounds like so much fun, i must start being more creative.

Roadworks were a great hit at that age, seriously! We could get a good hour out of walking there, watching the digger etc and then walking back.

Will give this a go to as there are plenty of roadworks here  ::)

Have you any conker trees or blackberry bushes nearby you can investigate, for example?

We went and picked apples and blackberries on our walk last week, not many left now though.

If not, sometimes we just go to the library and I let him take books off the shelves and look through them and put them back.

I dont even have a library card, i assume i can still go but just not take any books away?

In fact mine always loved going out to eat too - just a sandwich somewhere, even a supermarket cafe, he loved people watching and the whole occasion of sitting to eat in a cafe/restaurant.

Haha rub it in that my LO doesnt eat  ;D

You're in Scotland, the weather is NOT rotten  ;D

Just changing a lot  ::)

I would not be put off by it and gear up, wouldn't be able to stay in all day, we would go stir crazy.

Rotten, rotten, rotten, bring back the sun  ::)

I can relate to bad weather making outdoor trips tricky. At that age DS couldn't walk in wellies and I hadn't found a reasonably price puddle suit or ski suit etc. 

She does have wellies but she also cant walk very well in them and just sits down and pulls them off.

I do try to get out every day as it drives me nuts being in but it ends up being the supermarket and i spend a fortune on things i dont need or clothes for DD, so i need to stop that.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 17:09:54 pm »
Haha rub it in that my LO doesnt eat
haha - sorry!
Mine always ate more and tried new things more in public than he did at home though. I mean he's always ate fine but I remember him putting away about half a lamb shank and a massive pile of cabbage at one restaurant whilst he wouldn't touch protein at all or cabbage at home!
Just get yourself a coffee and give her a pancake to nibble on or something and chat about what you see around you. She'll still love it, they are so interested in everything it doesn't need to be particularly special at all.

Your house sounds like so much fun
it wasn't fun when I used dijon mustard for yellow  :o :o :o :-[ :-[ :-[