Author Topic: 7mo multiple night wakings  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Newman.jess86

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 15, 2013, 17:43:02 pm »
Hello,

My baby is 7mo this week and has never been a good sleeper along with being a spirited baby.

We've had to work hard at naps and self settling- sometimes works, sometimes requires more back rubs etc.

For the last month or so, nws have got worse. She used to wake roughly 2/3 times a night...now it's more like every 45mins to 1.5hrs that she wakes. She can go up to 4hrs in the day between feeds. So I've been trying to resettle her if she wake within 3hrs of her last feed....but she's having none of it most of the time and needs feeding to settle her. She then ends up sleeping on top of me (very safely) from about 2 or 3am as I just need some sleep!

She is crawling, sitting, trying to stand. Has just had a bottom tooth break through the gum, but hasn't moved up yet, so I think still teething quite badly...which she's been doing since 10 weeks old!

I'd really appreciate some advice or tips!

We are trying to get to a 3hr awake time, but I think we are in a slightly overtired state so it can be difficult.

Here are two days...

7am awake
7:30 feed
8 solids
9:10 sleep
10:40 awake
10:45 feed
12 solids
1:20 sleep
2:50 awake
3 feed
5 solids
6 feed and bed

Woke 3 times before 9pm needed resettling. Gave calpol and feed at 9 think teeth causing issues.

11:48 feed and back to cot
1;55 feed and back to cot
2:30 tried to settle but wouldn't so feed and back to cot
3:30 as 2:30 but stayed asleep on me as I need some sleep!
Fed on and off until waking around 6. Fed and stayed asleep till 6:45

Awake 6:45
Feed 7:30
Solids 8
Tired signs at 8:30 so tried cot but then was wide awake and fighting so more play time until more tired signs at 9:20, into cot, cried and needed stroking and white noise.

Sleep 9:25- 10:40
Feed 10:40
Solids 12:30
Sleep 1:45- 2:30
Feed- 3
S-4:50- very tried so tried for catnap but couldn't fall asleep.
Solids - 5
Bed at 6:15 but cried and found it hard to fall asleep. Finally asleep at 6:35.

Thanks! Xx

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 7mo multiple night wakings
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 22:29:36 pm »
Hi there,

It sounds like she's unable to self soothe and you'll probably have to sleep train her to get rid of these night wakings. She's using feeding as a prop to go back to sleep.

I have attached a link to the pu/pd method. How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)
If you're not comfortable with the pu/pd method, you could try the shh/pat (rub back) but you will really need to stop feeding her at every awakening and you'll probably need to stop letting her sleep on you. Are you able to get your DH on board so you can take turns?

Have you been able to distinguish between her real cry and mantra cry. If you're settling her and she starts mantra crying, I would be leaving her alone as this is her way of learning how to self settle. Only go to her if she's crying the "I need you mummy" cry and only stay with her until she's starting to settle down and then leave.

Can you try and think back to when she started waking more often... was it when she dropped the 3rd nap? when you introduced solids? Could she be intolerant to something?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Newman.jess86

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 20:57:14 pm »
Hi,

Thanks. I'm not sure when it started, maybe just before her first tooth broke, or when she started sitting more and trying to crawl?

Okay, I'll try with less feeding- which is my aim every night...then tiredness sets in ;)

Some days she self settled for naps and bed time easily, others I have to back rub and pat more. Pu/pd I don't think works as she gets cross cross and upset the second I lean back over the cot, so I find it easier to settle her in the cot if I can. But will try that if shush pat isn't working.

When she wakes, if it's at the start of the night, she'll make a few noises, we leave her, sometimes she'll go back off but others she won't, at which point it's the "I need you now" cry. When she wakes in the night, it's an immediate loud panic, I need you now cry. There's no progression, just straight to desperation. I normally leap out of bed and run into her room thinking something is seriously wrong- she's normAlly sat up at this point!

Thanks x

Offline Newman.jess86

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:47:49 pm »
Hi,

I realised that this started around a month ago when she had a bad cold and needed to sleep more upright and she'd only settle led on my chest....it hasn't really stopped since then. She's now teething badly.

Last night was a disaster and I'm not sure I'm strong enough for the pu/pd.

She woke 4 times between 6:45 and 9:30. Managed to settle her without feeding. She then woke at 11, fed her. She then woke again at 1. I tried to settle her in the cot, this didn't work and he started screaming. Did pu/pd for around 45mins but she was starting to cough/wretch from
Crying so much. So I gave in. Fed her. Put her back in her cot. She woke 10mins later, settled. 10mins later awake again and would only settle on me. Let her lie on me for half an hour. Back into cot until 5am. Awake at 6:20.

Any other ideas? I can't do that much heart breaking crying... X

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: 7mo multiple night wakings
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 23:27:43 pm »
I am sorry but I think you really need to stop letting her sleep on you and settling her with food and use other methods to soothe her to sleep. It isn't going to be easy and there will be tears but if you can dedicate at least 2 weeks to being consistent and not giving in, she will learn faster. You will have to do it at some point as she will continue to wake at night and I don't think its something she will outgrow :-\

There is a gradual method Gentle Removal Plan

Have a look through the links and let me know if you have any other questions.

Here to support you through it but you really need be ready to do this :-*

20/06/2012 - my angel baby