Author Topic: 6 weeks and barely an improvement  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Jusiahsmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 weeks and barely an improvement
« on: October 15, 2013, 19:50:34 pm »
Hi all . A lil while ago I posted a problem I was having with my DS who is 6.5 months who was viscous ly rubbing his eyes at 4 am and rolling around everywhere and waking himself up. The great moderators on the board suggested that maybe he was not greeting enough A time. He was only getting 2 hours btween naps and 2 2 hour naps n a catnap for 45 mins. We were able to slowly increase a time to 2.45 mins( anything over that and he is Meas screaming and crying all day. I tried it for a week.
So he's up for 2.45 mins between naps n napping for about an 1.15 mins which slowly stopped the rubbing of the eyes n delayed his tossing and turning to about 5 am. He tosses and turns and loses pacifier n starts to cry so I was placing paci about 5x a night which isn't bad but now.....he refuses to take 2nd nap and is up for about 4-5 hours before he does. N he's tossing and turning at 2 am n crying not being able to put himself to sleep n I'm replacing paci about 20x n he's waking himself up by throwing himself into backboard of crib etc. I thought that by now I would have some sleep but it just got worse .. He eventually falls to sleep after I start patting him and he starts snoring just to toss n turn in another 20 mins.. I'm so lost!!why doesn't he want to nap after he's been up for 3 hours??

This is what his schedule has been looking like
A620
S9am-1020
A til 2 pm yesterday he was up til 3
S 2pm -3
A
Bath time 615
Bedtime 640
Sleep 7
Tossing turning all night.. Crying paci falling out
Huge nightmare

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 6 weeks and barely an improvement
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 13:53:00 pm »
Also wanted to add that the rubbing of eyes n tossing and turning began shortly after I weaned him off paci. I started him back bc we had a setback n he got sick . Not sure if that means anything

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 14:01:57 pm »
Why is he tossing and turning south.. Should I try to wean off paci again ?

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 22:58:53 pm »
Hi and (((hugs)))

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. If you're having to replug the paci all the time, then perhaps it is time to wean it. Or could you teach him to plug it himself?

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:13:03 am »
But he's still tossing and turning waking himself up??
I can't figure out y

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:18:24 am »
My dd also tosses and turns and especially in the early hrs of the morning as this is when she's in light sleep but she puts herself back to sleep. If she's had a rough nap day and is overtired, she won't put herself back to sleep and will wake herself right up and will need my help. Yesterday, it is possible he would have been overtired from the long A in the afternoon. I wonder if you should maybe pull back on the 2nd A - according to your routine, he is awake for 3.5hrs before afternoon nap, which may be too much for him? Could you try to maybe stretch him in the morning by adding just 5 mins every 3rd day so that its closer to 3hrs and make sure his afternoon A isn't more than 3hrs? Also, his A before bed is quiet long (4hrs). I know my 6.5mo would have a meltdown and over time get quiet overtired if our A was 4hrs before bedtime. Our A is 3-3.15hrs. Have you tried putting him to bed earlier, maybe just 30mins earlier?

But if you're having to replug the paci, then I would probably think about either weaning it or teaching him to replug it :-\
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:21:08 am by Layla »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Jusiahsmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 13:16:57 pm »
Hi.. Thanks for responding.. The 2nd a time has been so long bc he refuses to sleep all week. It's been 4-5 hours of a time all week b4 he goes down for a nap. He just started doing this. Prior to this he wS having meltdowns at 3 hrs and I had to push it back to 2.45. Not sure what's going on. He's refusing to sleep.
Paci def weaning him off next weekend when I am home.
Not sure what to do with this new A schedule he has created
Regardless if his A times. Still tossing n turning every30 mins

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 23:48:49 pm »
Hugs.  It's hard when they refuse to sleep so its a struggle during the day and at night.  I'm thinking that he's OT so the stress hormones are preventing him from settling into a proper sleep. 

Can you APOP a nap (eg. Car ride, in the stroller, etc)?  I would not recommend this all the time but if he's really resisting his naps, sometimes you need to APOP a nap so he's not soooo OT at bt. 

Also, how old is he now?  I also think that some babies need to be physically tired to sleep well.  My DS is like this (and he's 5 yrs old now!).  When he was young, I would give him plenty of floor time so practice crawling, sitting, pulling up, etc so when it was nap time, he was physically ready for sleep (just not mentally ready for sleep).  For naps and bt, I would PD and rest my hands on him until he relaxed.  Then he usually would fall asleep. 

HTH