Author Topic: Cluster feed and dream feed- your experiences  (Read 1720 times)

Offline MotherhoodDream729

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Cluster feed and dream feed- your experiences
« on: October 16, 2013, 14:13:32 pm »
What are your experiences?

I started last night, it was awful. He is one month old and did great for the cluster and dream feed. He woke around 3, and I tried to soothe him then figured he would go back to sleep. Finally fed him at 4. He was awake and didn't go back to sleep until almost 7 when he ate again.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Cluster feed and dream feed- your experiences
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 15:15:20 pm »
Hi, I did dream feed around 10.30pm but at 1 month old I wouldn't expect LO to sleep through anyway so I would just feed on NW I wouldn't hold off! Most LO have a couple of night feeds until 4/5 months at least.
My LO at 1 month was prob having a feed 10pm, 1am, 4am etc, cluster feeding didn't really work for us.

L
Zoe

Offline MotherhoodDream729

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 15:39:17 pm »
I think I agree. But it says to start early and that this age would work and sleep lOnger. He is so young though and think he needs that night feeding. Idisrupted what he was do used to last night.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 18:36:02 pm »
I remember trying the cluster feeding and dream feed but I still did night feeds! Think most mummy's on here would agree its a bit young for them to go all night! My LO was about 4/5 months when he dropped night feed but I still did dream feed until about 7 months.
See what others think but go with your instinct and don't forget growth spurts are frequent when really young.
Zoe

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 18:53:48 pm »
That sounds very similar to my LO, after the CF and DF she would go until about 3/4 in the morning when i would feed her but she was always restless after that until the morning, i think its pretty normal  :)

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 19:55:07 pm »
I think I agree. But it says to start early and that this age would work and sleep lOnger. He is so young though and think he needs that night feeding. Idisrupted what he was do used to last night.

What did he used to do?  DF never worked for me but it definitely helps many people (I preferred going to bed at 8:30 haha)  It's great that at one month old your LO sleeps to 3 or 4!  Bottle or breast fed?

Also, give the DF some time to start working and them reevaluate.  At least 5 days.  Hope it works for you!

**Tracy**

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 20:16:51 pm »
I really like the DF because it seems to help my DS sleep longer.  He's started sleeping through the nights sometimes, I'm not sure why it's not every night but don't bite the hand that feeds you I say!  I actually really enjoy it but I make sure every light in the house is off, I'm completely ready for bed and then I sneak in ninja-style, feed him and pop him back in the crib.  It actually used to make me really nervous because I was worried I would wake him but he's so used to it now he doesn't move!
I hope this helps!   :)

Offline Lilo's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 13:14:27 pm »
DF never worked for me... He either would be too sleepy to nurse, or he would nurse and wake up again after 2 hours. I think your LO is too young to try not to feed... Mine is 5 mo and is just starting to get consistent longer stretches. If I can give you only one piece of advice is: patience, let him show you what he needs because when he is ready he will sleep longer. These techniques are great and help a lot of people, but if it doesn't work for you, just wait because every month is soooo different from the other... really looks like I have another baby today. A much more fun  one ;)
Good luck

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 13:26:36 pm »
If you DF him at 10ish then making it to 3 is a really good stretch (five hours!).  If you give him another feed then, you stand a good chance of making it to morning with only one night-feed, which is remarkably good for a one month old.  I'd say you're both doing well.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Sammy_brook

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:04:55 am »
How to dream feed a breastfed baby? I never seem to be able to do it without waking my DS up :( Is that a reason why it doesn't work for me? He is 8 weeks old and usually feeds around 8pm and then wakes up 2/3 times before we get up at 6.30/7.