Author Topic: Help! Really long NW for 8.5 MO  (Read 849 times)

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Help! Really long NW for 8.5 MO
« on: October 28, 2013, 00:56:06 am »
(I posted this in the wrong category (general sleep issues) by accident.  Re-posting it here.)

DD is 8.5 MO.  She began sleeping 12 hour stretches just before 7 months.  At 8 months she started waking again but was not looking to eat, just for a little comfort: a head rub, back rub or short PU.  I was usually in and out within 15 minutes.  Now these NWs have become hours long!  I will sit beside her crib and comfort her but she doesn't go back to sleep.  Lays there and cries on and off.  If I pick her up she will start to fall asleep in my arms but as soon as I put her back in the crib she is up again and crying.  The other night I was in there for FOUR HOURS IN A ROW.  Desperate, I dragged up her play-mat from downstairs and she and I went to sleep on her floor until morning.  That was three nights ago.  The last two nights my partner did the same (it is a weekend) after she and I  took turns trying to get DD back to sleep.

Her day routine is fairly consistent.  Up at around 7:30am (although the last few days she has slept in a bit).  Four BFs and three solid meals.  Activity time of 3 hours in morning and 3.5 hours in afternoon.  Two naps of approx 60-75 min each.  Bed at 7:30pm.

She learned the inchworm crawl one week ago and is close to a regular crawl now too.  Cut her bottom teeth in the past few days.  Sep anxiety  (cries when I leave the room).

Please help!  I am going back to work in 5 weeks (partner taking over the parental leave) and I want to enjoy these last few weeks without being deliriously tired.
Modify message

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: Help! Really long NW for 8.5 MO
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 13:41:10 pm »
Just pipping I here - I'm not an expert I would just like to share that I went through something similar.  I know there is a 9 month sleep regression that was a bear for us.  I went back to one BF'ing session during the night - for my LO she needed a little extra because of all the extra activity.  Then I increased her A time and started giving her a long am nap and short pm nap (suggested by some of the ladies on this forum).

It sounds like she is going through a lot at the moment - the four hour stretch might've been discomfort related - any new foods or do you think the top teeth are on their way?

Do you cap naps at all or just let her sleep as long as needed?  She might need to do some catch up during the day?

Sorry lots of suggestions but maybe pick through those and see what might work for you"

**Tracy**

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 16:01:53 pm »
Hi.  Thanks for your thoughts...here are my responses:

No new foods lately.   She has been introduced to a lot of different foods and handled them all well.  But nothing new in the last week or so.

Bottom teeth just sprouted a few days ago.  Possible that top teeth are also on their way but I can feel or see them yet.

I don't cap naps...but she usually doesn't pass the 90 minute mark.  Very rare and if she does I just enjoy it!  Yesterday it was two 45 min naps and that was it.  Are 3 and 3.5 hour activity times reasonable?  She shows tired signs after 3 hours in the a.m. and goes down easily for a nap.  In the afternoon she doesn't show tired signs until 3.5hr and even then she plays in her crib for awhile before starting her nap.

The last night two nights were better.  She woke once at 10:30pm and it took about an hour for her to go back down.  My partner (DW...not sure you have an abbreviation for Dear Wife but I guess we could start one...) has a WAY easier time getting her back to sleep.  Last night I was in there for 45 min and DD was very upset, moving all over the place in her crib,  thrashing, etc.  I called DW in for back-up and she calmed down immediately and was asleep within 10 min.  The problem is that I can't rely on DW during the late nights because she is the one at work right now. 

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 18:27:39 pm »
Maybe have DW take a couple of days off and have her do the sleep training - my guess is she wants to play with you or be held by you but when DW comes in she knows it's sleepy time. Went through the same thing and it took my DH about 4 days to get her sleeping through (except for the occasional 4am night feed).  Also, when you leave the room and she cries for you how do you respond?  Mine does that occasionally but I tell her from the door "you're ok just going night night" and shut the door and she will fuss for a couple minutes then settle herself.  See if you can start settling her with your voice at all if DW can't help out. 

Good luck!

**Tracy**