Author Topic: not talking - 20 months  (Read 1972 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: October 17, 2013, 19:16:27 pm »
ok i know, i know...everyone worries about this!  i recently commented on a post not to worry about this!!!

two of my friend's kids  - one 18 months and the other 20.5 months  - talk so much! they can say so many words!! i know comparing is dumb.

why isn't my DD talking :( she says mommy and that's about it. she will sometimes mimic me - "moo" for cow. at least i think she is. and she will say the "ow" sounds - cow, ouch, etc. she will shake her head yes/no. 

my DH thinks she sounds lke baby boo from monsters inc ;)

my DS did not talk much until 23 months...but he was saying more at this point - like uh, oh, cookie, etc,

she does sign some and also her receptive language is great.

maybe we should start watching "signing time" on PBS to expand our vocabulary  ::)

she just recently got into books. i could only get one page read before she would run away about a month ago. now she loves to sit and hear books and wants to hear them over and over.

ok tell me she is fine :)

PS just happen to be taking my DS to pedi this afternoon so i'll ask the pedi if i should worry or not.

i'm really NOT that worried but talked to a friend today about her 18 month old who can say rhino (dumb example)  and all sorts of crazy words so i'm thinking why isn't my DD talking too :(. her little "mommy" is so cute i want to hear more.
heather

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 19:38:26 pm »
Dont worry hon she'll do it at her own pace :) she may not be saying much but Shes taking it all in i promise! my ds said about 10 words before turning 2 and then just after had a language explosion and seemed to string sentences overnight!! i did take him to speech therapist cos As a ftm i was worried too...there was no problems with him tg but What i also got from it was the advice to repeat repeat repeat words so Lo would associate with object/ instruction and it would sink in. I also realised that cos I knew him so well i anticipated all his needs so He didnt have to speak ::) he would just point...could u be doing that?

but Like i said no need to worry...soon enough you'll be posting to get advice on how to get some peace and quiet!!

Hth!
aishi :)

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: not talking - 20 months
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 21:28:50 pm »
My second spoke late too, and like Aishi's lo went to sentences much more quickly. I realised that I spent so much time with dd1 naming things as I gave them to her and talking to her properly, but with dd2 I didn't have the time to spend one on one and therefore she didn't get the same lessons that dd1 did. In point of fact, dd2 basically caught up with dd1 at a little over 2, even though dd1 starting talking at 10 months, and dd2 didn't really say anything until 18m+. Ds has been the same - the initial language was slow to come, but he skipped over the naming phase and went pretty much straight to sentences at 2 and is now one of the more advanced of the group.

I don't think that it is likely that there is anything to worry about at this stage, as long as she is communicating.

Offline Mama2Athena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 21:33:51 pm »
I know how you feel but try not to worry.  My DD Athena is the same way.  She's 18 months and has maybe 10 words and some aren't even that clear.  I often fight the urge to compare as she goes to daycare full time and I hear other babies in her class (a couple months older/younger) talk so much more!  Also my DS was an early talker and had a vocabulary of 200+ words a couple months before he turned two (I know this because I had created an EXCEL spreadsheet listing all the words he said at that time).

Anyway, we just had our 18 months checkup and her pediatrician was not worried a bit.  Her teachers at school also ensured me that it is normal and the language explosion will come soon.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:32:17 am »
ok thx ladies!!!! i will def start naming things more. although you would think she could say "baby" bc we talk about her baby doll all day!!!!
heather