Author Topic: 10 month old waking up for over an hour at night  (Read 1002 times)

Offline josand

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 month old waking up for over an hour at night
« on: October 20, 2013, 19:32:35 pm »
My 10 month old has never been a great napper or sleeper. He tends to cry/or whine himself to sleep. He never took a soother and only started taking bottles recently. He does have a little blanket he tends to suck when he sleeps. Recently he has started throwing it on the floor and then cries (but that is another problem). He was waking up 1-2 times a night pretty much since we brought him home. For the most part I would nurse him and he would go back to sleep. For the past month he wakes up once at night but is up for over an hour. I go in nurse him and he looks like he is falling asleep, I put him down and he tries to settle, but usually within 5 minutes he is standing in bed and crying. I let him cry a little since that is how he typically falls asleep, I go in put him down, rub his back and he stops or just gently whines and seems like he will falls asleep, then as soon as I stop he gets up and cries again. I leave and we continue this cycle. I almost feel like it's worst when I go in since he screams even louder when I leave. In between me going in, he stands and then drops down and tries to get comfy and then sits, etc. So it looks like he wants to sleep, but just can't. I really don't know what to do anymore...and at 2am logic doesn't always come easily. Any tips or ideas on what I can do.... I am going back to work soon and I would like to get a better night sleep than this...

How old is your child? 10 months
What’s his/her daily routine? usually wakes between 6:15 and 7:30am (I try not to let him sleep past this time), nurse when he wakes, breakfast around 7:00-8:00, nap around 9:00-9:30 for 30min-2h, lunch at 12 (including nursing), nap at 2pm for 30min-2h, bottle at 4ish, supper at 5ish, bedtime at 730
What’s nap routine? humming while going upstairs and gentle rubbing for a minute.
How long are naps? 30min to 2h
What's bedtime routine? bath, pj, nurse Time? 7-7:30
Do you bottle or breastfed?? 3 breastfeed + sometimes during night, 1 bottle
How much? 4-6oz of milk or how long? 5min to 20min
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) one side morning and lunch, both before bed.
How many wakes per night? typically one, but a long one
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? usually happy when I am in room and tired, cries when I leave. sits, stands and lays down. Up for often 1 to 1.5h
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? it varies...usually when I leave it goes into loud screaming
What have you tried to settle?? rocking, nursing, patting, going in and out..., turning on his aquarium
What do you do for A time and how long is it? we play with his toys, walk with walker, play outside, go for walks, run errands, go see friends. Usually from 7-9am, wake to 2pm and then wake to 7
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? could be....not sure
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? no
Do they have a lovie? he has a little blanket

Thanks

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 10 month old waking up for over an hour at night
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:17:52 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

Thanks for posting all the info.  I'm thinking that your Lo needs more A time.  Most 10 mo olds are up for around 3.5 hrs if not a bit more.  I would slowly start to add more time, roughly 10 min at a time and hold for 3 days. 

HTH

Offline josand

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 17:59:33 pm »
sorry for taking so long to reply...of course my lo started sleeping through the night 50% of the time after my post so I was hopeful things were getting better...but for the past 3 nights he's been waking up again. Last night he was awake for 2h from 2:30-4:30. I am really starting to think it's separation anxiety since as soon as we walk in he stops crying, he calms down and tries to sleep, then he keeps checking to see if we are still there...as soon as he notices we are gone he starts crying again. How do I fix this problem. He also seems relatively awake at that time too which is confusing me. I also find he's been taking longer to fall asleep for his naps so perhaps I am putting him down too much. Part of my problem is he is starting daycare in a month and all the kids sleep from 1-3pm (including my oldest), if they need a morning nap that is ok, but the afternoon nap is very consistent. If he wakes between 6 and 7am and goes to bed around  7:30pm ...what kind of schedule would work with that? I am hoping to get him on a close schedule so the transition might be easier. Thanks for the help

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 18:52:21 pm »
That's a tough one to work around because I was going to suggest a 10am nap but he wouldn't be tired enough at 1 pm then...  It's too bad daycare isn't more flexible that's a little crazy that they expect 1 nap at 10 months old.  I would try speaking with them. 

**Tracy**

Offline josand

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 22:59:54 pm »
They are ok with two naps...but the first one would be in the morning and second still at 1pm...it works out with the pick ups and everything. I did not have an issue with my oldest getting on that schedule, but he was a much better sleeper and napper. Just would like to stop the 1-2hour wakes in the middle of the night. It would also be nice to stop the crying and whinning to sleep. Right now I was trying for 9am and 2pm nap...since he will be getting up a little earlier than now once he goes to daycare. Also just wanted to point out that he will be 11.5months when he starts daycare in a month.

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 02:25:54 am »
I would do a capped nap in the morning so may just 20 to 30 min and then try for the earlier pm nap.  Also I'm sure you're aware that he may not sleep very well at daycare so they might not need to cap his nap. 

For SA at night, I would do gradually withdrawal rather than WI/WO with pd.  if he's awake in the MOTN, I'm thinking that the A time increase will help to solve this issue. 

Offline josand

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:09:39 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try that. Just wondering what do you mean by gradual withdrawal?

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26

**Tracy**