Author Topic: Should I stop the DF???  (Read 1645 times)

Offline SGooch

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I stop the DF???
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:49:33 am »
Lo is 22weeks and has been refusing/taking a lot less milk on her dream feed.

She currently has 5 bottles per day including her Df and takes on average 6oz in the day, per bottle, 8 on bedtime feed and has been taking between 1 and 3 1/2 oz on Df (used to be on average 6) and this is sometimes taking up to an hour as she doesn't want it.  I also have to wake her up to get her to take it.  This has coincided with starting to wean (recommendation by doc due to diagnosis of reflux). She's been eating food since 17 weeks and now has 3 'meals' a day consisting of fruit or veg and takes on average the equivalent to 2 oz per meal. so in total she is drinking between 26-30oz per day (depending on how much she takes at df) plus 4-6oz of food.  Hv is happy with her weight gain, which is steady and just above the 75th percentile.

So my question is do I drop the Df?  If so, do I do it gradually or just try and drop it altogether?  She currently has her bedtime bottle between 6.30-7pm and Df at 11pm.

In your experience, if I drop the Df will this mean she will wake up earlier?

Your advice will be really welcome, thanks in advance.
Sarah

Mummy to Dd1 Sadie spirited/text book 5/8/2009
Dd2 Darcy spirited/textbook 24/5/2013
Dd3 Maddie my precious angel 27/11/2011

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Should I stop the DF???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:31:17 am »
I think if you have to wake her to take it and it's taking that long then stop! Providing her day feeds don't drop she is getting enough milk, you can also add dairy into her solids to help.

My refluxers never took a DF, we just let them wake when they were hungry, fed and put them back down ASAP. We weaned the nightfeed with DD when she was 8.5 months in the end.

I would just let her sleep and see what happens, she may just sleep through or she may wake for a feed. If she wakes you can try and resettle first if you want or just feed her and then wean that feed at a later date.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline SGooch

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:55:48 pm »
Thanks for your advice Laura.

She has just come down with a cold so do you think it best to continue with the Df until she's better?

Can't wait to get rid of it just scared of the impact it might have lol!

When you say she's getting enough milk, how much milk is she supposed to have once you start weaning?

Sarah

Mummy to Dd1 Sadie spirited/text book 5/8/2009
Dd2 Darcy spirited/textbook 24/5/2013
Dd3 Maddie my precious angel 27/11/2011

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 14:06:35 pm »
If she's got a cold she's probably going to be less likely to want it to be honest! I would just let her sleep.

From 6 months the minimum they need is 20oz of milk and that includes the dairy in food. Most babies seem to take around 24oz a day with food so I would aim to stick with 24oz of liquid milk and any dairy in her food is a bonus then!

Laura