Author Topic: Board games for 3yo  (Read 11999 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 15:54:55 pm »
We loved Hi-Ho Cherry-O at that age...

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-44703-Hi-Ho-Cherry-O/dp/B00000IWGQ

and Dont Break the Ice, which dd will still sometimes play!

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-4784-Dont-Break-the/dp/B00000IVZJ/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_y

She had Perfection, but hated the sound it made when all the pieces popped out....but that's just 'her'....this is a really fun game!

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-A4754-Perfection-Game/dp/B00CXEXSUU/ref=pd_sim_t_10

Memory and CandyLand were big hits too.....and also Zingo, which is kinda like Bingo...she loved that!

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-7700-ThinkFun-Zingo/dp/B00006408Q/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1382630053&sr=1-1&keywords=zingo

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 16:38:25 pm »
Mashi - The Busytown Eye Found It game woukd probably be better for him at 5.5yo :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Board games for 3yo
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 17:19:13 pm »
Becky - which did you get? Eye Found it - yes?
I like the look of both those but Busy, busy airport is £39.00 on amazon - that price can't be right surely?  Is it out of production or something?

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 17:40:19 pm »
my kids love Monoply Junior and there is one where there is three picture boards, and a bunch of round peices with parts of the picture on it that you place in the right spot. I can't remember the name of that one... I think it ends in 'ino'.
DS also really likes the Cherche et Trouvé ones...I don't know how they are marketed in English. Maybe 'look and find'?
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 18:03:44 pm »
There's a couple of great ravensburger jigsaw puzzles (84 piece) in the look and find range but at £38 and £20 each they seem too expensive to me.  Didn't manage to find any board game though.  Maybe someone else knows it?

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 18:45:32 pm »
If you're still after snakes and ladders recommendations then we have the peppa pig one which has been good for this year as it onlygoes iup to 50 squares so it's a quicker game than the other one we have (which is the gruffalo and goes to 100). Your DS may not be a peppa pig fan but you might want to check the number of squares in any game you get.

Orchard games wise,  If You See A Crocodile is a good one for an early board game. Someone also recommended Monster Bingo to me but we've not played it yet.  The shopping game is very popular here too. Lily has also started to "get" top trumps this year. I'm sure there's something else she likes but I can't remember now.... Will be back if it comes to me!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 19:40:07 pm »
Ravensburger board games are things like Lotti Karotti, Colourama - both are on amazon UK, but they are a bit pricey. 

This is also a really really good game
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simba-ZOCH601132100-Zoch-601132100-Since/dp/B004L87UQO/ref=sr_1_5?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1382643373&sr=1-5&keywords=zoch

I could swear it was by Ravensburger but looks like another company has taken this one over. But it is still int he same Ravensburger box. Weird. Anyway it was a huge hit, "game of the year" last year and is really fun.  I know it looks German but instructions are in all languages inside so it's just the name that is odd.

Haba games are good as well, most are just tiny little boxes with a simple game.   Beautiful wooden pieces, sturdy cardboard, well made.  So for instance
http://www.amazon.de/Haba-4093-Bella-Bl%C3%BCmchen/dp/B004MXRDP6/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1382643506&sr=8-16&keywords=haba+spiele
 but maybe you can't get them in England? ???

Will look up that Richard Scarry game, thanks Tink!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 20:02:23 pm »
Thinking about it, would you be up for a game that's not a board game? If so we love, love, love Rory's Story Cubes!

Fantastic for any number of players, great for taking in your bag for meals out, encourage language development and social skills. I've just bought an add on set, and some more as gifts.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Katt

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 20:17:31 pm »
I've looked at Rory's story cubes before and thought I might wait a year or two before getting them.  They are lovely. For now we have some wooden blocks which have 2 letters and 4 pics per block which we can use in a similar (but simplified) way (although not to take out but he never wants to play anything when we go out, not yet anyway).  The Rory's cubes are tagged at 6yo +, and although I'm sure he would understand the pictures and concept I just think he might be more 'pleased' with it when he is a bit older.

btw thank you everyone for continuing to add your fav games.  I'm taking it all in!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 20:20:36 pm »
The house that Jack built!
Katt is that not a bit too simple?  I'm looking at it wondering where the fun and game play is??  I can't imagine us playing more than one round and never getting it out again? But is appears to have good reviews so surely i am missing something??

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 20:21:34 pm »
Really, 6+? Wow! We've used them for ages!

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 09:37:36 am »

I'm sure amazon said suitable from 3+.... Though I only skimmed it and I was on my phone so could easily have misread. I was thinking of getting them for my daughter,  who will be 4 by Xmas.  She's got a great imagination - do you think she'll get it?

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 09:51:34 am »
Katt is that not a bit too simple?  I'm looking at it wondering where the fun and game play is??  I can't imagine us playing more than one round and never getting it out again? But is appears to have good reviews so surely i am missing something??

We had many games with grandparents etc, it really taught her about talking turns and being a good sport etc and was funny when people keep getting the same colour etc and wishing for a certain colour so you can finish your house so it was fun but maybe we are a bit simple  ;) ;D We also had lots of Orchard games that have been mentioned like Spotty Dogs, Lunchbox and Incy Wincy Spider but this was good old fashioned fun all based on the luck of the die!
Katt

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 10:48:02 am »
Lovelylily - yes, I'm sure the cubes would work from 4. Especially if she's got such a good imagination. I can see all kinds of uses for them over the next few years.