Author Topic: Board games for 3yo  (Read 12000 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Board games for 3yo
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 11:31:17 am »
I remember the house that jack built as a kid. It's great! You can often get it in home bargains  :).

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 13:12:40 pm »
Great, thanks.  They might be on the Xmas list then!

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 19:05:09 pm »
the memory game or hungry hungry hippos.. which should be put up when finished of course (small pieces)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 20:10:00 pm »
We have one by Orchard called Bus Stop that cadan likes. We make up all sorts of stories about why the people are getting on and off the bus.

I was also going to suggest Junior monopoly.  They do a monsters uni one if he likes that.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 22:45:15 pm »
Anyone's 3 yr old ok at playing snakes and ladders. I think Z might quite like it :-\
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 22:51:21 pm »
I think DS started to play it at that sort of age. Sort of  ;). DD can cope with rolling and counting, but then t ends to lose herself in a world of going her own way around the board  ::) ::).

They really don't like snakes and losing at this age either  ::).

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 00:35:43 am »
Lol didn't think about snakes and loosing ;) Z is very mathematical, and I think using the dice will be ok for him iykwim. Mmmm
***Sara***

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 02:50:05 am »
my three year old loves Choco, and a monster bingo game by Orchard Games. Both have easy rules and go quickly so he doesn't get bored. He also likes The Cat In The Hat I Can Do That game, but he needs an adult to play that that one. The other two he can play just with DD (who is 5 1/2). Rory's Story Cubes are also popular around here.
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:40 am »
Sara we play lots of games with dice, one dice or two, have done for several months. DS loves it I'm sure Z would love it too. We don't have snakes and ladders yet (it's on the list though) but have played very similar board games from some of his toddler magazines (bob the builder game and such, dice, counting, moving, some spaces say go back or go forward etc).
For some other ideas - we play 2 dice bingo here so I write numbers from 2 - 12 on cards and we shake out 2 dice, DS adds them up and we all cross off the number if we have it. It was DS's idea so I just ran with it.
We also (but not often) do a 1 or 2 dice physical game, I made an indoor assault course with a few chairs and a bean bag etc then lay out numbered cards I made which have an instruction on each card. So you throw dice, move than number of spaces (climbing chairs or crawling through table tunnel as you go) then when you get on your number you follow the instruction, eg no.5 do 5 frog jumps, no.6 do 6 star jumps and sing a song about stars...etc  I made it up for days when we couldn't go out but he needed exercise.
We are getting the Frustration from our list too with the lovely 'pop' dice in the dome at the centre of the board (I'm getting the unbranded version which is just like the old Frustration as the new Frustration has some added thing that I think makes the game more advanced or confusing).

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 02:28:39 am »
Well Z loves dice! :D and yesterday mum and dad got back from travelling and brought back this giant snakes and ladders game (the gruffalo?) anyway. He LOVES it!
Great ideas creations we will try them out for sure
***Sara***

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 07:53:30 am »
Ooh I wondered about getting that one Sara.  There's a Thomas the Tank snakes and ladders too. Or to just go for the traditional version. Not decided yet (will get it with Xmas money).  Great to hear Z is loving the dice  :D

Here's a link to two dice bingo where you can print blank sheets and also play on-line, it generates numbers. Not that you need it but DS liked the 'official' looking papers I printed off even though I filled them in by hand.
http://www.transum.org/software/Fun_Maths/Dice_Bingo.asp
There's also extensions (for later/older) to subtract one die from the other or multiply rather than add them together.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 23:27:06 pm »
Ohhh love! Z is very mathematical, much more so interested in counting/numbers/shapes/fractions etc than he is letters and writing. I think he's going to be an engineer ::)

He would have loved ThomasTTE mum and dad brought that one back though and here we don't have big ones like that one. It's fantastic that it's BIG!
***Sara***

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2013, 12:29:36 pm »
Just coming by to thank those of you who recommended TIME SHOCK and BUSY TOWN - fabulous - both a big hit for Xmas.  DS was instantly taken by them both (we didn't turn the timer on time shock for him but he sat focused on it until all the pieces were in) and after BT I had to have about 10 turns on Time shock because I was determined to get all the pieces in before the time ran out (finally succeeded). I can see it being along lasting game through the coming years.  We all played Busy town together, I loved looking for the pictures and the grandmothers liked that we all won or lost together.  Great stuff!
DS also fell in love with POP UP PIRATE (which was recommended on another thread I had I think but poss here too), we played many games at various intervals throughout Xmas day.

other games to come too.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 21:17:47 pm »
The boys got Who Shook Hook, a Jake and the Neverland Pirates game. Hook is balanced on a swinging net with a load of treasure pieces he's pinched and players have the move around the board and retrieve a piece of treasure with various tools as prescribed by the space you land on. If you overbalance the net and Hook falls off you lose and the player with the most pieces of treasure wins. That was a hit.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
I'm back with another update and to thank those of you who suggested Guess Who and Junior Monopoly.
Guess who arrived last week and after one game where I played on his 'team' against Nana to show him how it worked he's been loving it, playing against me with no help - and winning!!
Jnr Monopoly arrived yesterday and he loved that too. We didn't play a full game as it took quite a long time and although he was focused for ages eventually he wanted to move on to something else (plus i needed to get dinner ready). He asked for it a second time in the same day though so we had another short game. It's great for adding the money up, he loves playing with money!
Big hits!!
Thank you